Advanced booking of insurance

Normally I book cruise Insurance with insurance & Go as soon as a deposit is paid for a cruise I but have found out that once over 75 yrs old you can not take out insurance more than 4 months in advance. Shame as Budget Direct lets you take it out well in advance.  I also like booking accomodation and flight tickets as soon as a good deal turns up even if it is 10 or 11 months in advance. Well the choice is now Budget that is a lot cheaper but do not cover missed ports or cabin confinement  ( not too bothered about those ) or pay more for Insurance & Go and wait until 4 months away. I have always used Insurance & Go but would be interested to know if fellow members have used Budget. Reviews seem good but I notice these are 90% of people that have not made claims.

Cheers John.

35 minutes ago, cruisine21 said:

A relative was hit by a car before travelling and they paid out without any problems.

They issue is they only cover for 27 pre existing conditions and don’t provide any cover for other conditions

Thank's cruisine21, I did notice that. Certain conditions apply for some of the 27 pre existing as well.I had an Endoscopy for an indigestion problem that came back all clear but seeing it was at a day hospital in the last 24 months they will not cover any gastric problems if they occur. Would not stop me tackling the food onboard though.😉

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have used them once, but didn't need to claim, we now use NRMA and have an annual policy.

That is the best outcome. I am always hopeful that I never have to use them. Seeing I can only cruise once a year I only take out insurance once a cruise deposit is paid. This getting over 75 years of age even if healthy does throw up a few problems when applying for different things.

24 minutes ago, JohnGc said:

That is the best outcome. I am always hopeful that I never have to use them. Seeing I can only cruise once a year I only take out insurance once a cruise deposit is paid. This getting over 75 years of age even if healthy does throw up a few problems when applying for different things.

Yes, all I can really say is when it comes to insurance, read the T&Cs and make sure you are getting cover for what you want and need. So many people get caught short when they go to claim.

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, all I can really say is when it comes to insurance, read the T&Cs and make sure you are getting cover for what you want and need. So many people get caught short when they go to claim.

Product disclosures can hurt your eyes reading that lot but so important. I have been through the Budget direct comprehensive plan and I realise there is no cabin confinement payment or missed ports payments, that I am not bothered about. The most important for me is medical, evac etc and cancellations. Loss of luggage always seems a tricky one as there is no way I have kept receipts for all my clothes etc.Thought Insurance & Go were quite good. I had one claim paid out  for a pair of glasses when I slipped over one rough night at sea. Problem now is the wife and I are close to 80 yrs old now and we are both very agile and fit and on no medication at all ( thankfully ), but our premium with them has doubled from last year. Budget Insurance cost are very reasonable. Main thing is if making a claim is that easy and are they reasonable in assessing them.

Edited by JohnGc

Just to branch-off slightly. We have now moved to have annual insurances covering all our travels (mostly cruises) instead of taking TI out for each event. Seems cost-effective, and enables a degree of flexibility - we actually have a current policy thru 2019 with Medibank (our Private Health Ins is with them).

The issue I have found is with being able to take out insurance only a year ahead. The TI providers don't seem to recognise that people are booking cruises two years ahead & seek insurance covering deposits paid (not the biggest issue) but more importantly unforeseen events that may occur in the interim that lead to the need for cancellation incurring perhaps significant penalties. Have others come across this?

6 hours ago, mr walker said:

Just to branch-off slightly. We have now moved to have annual insurances covering all our travels (mostly cruises) instead of taking TI out for each event. Seems cost-effective, and enables a degree of flexibility - we actually have a current policy thru 2019 with Medibank (our Private Health Ins is with them).

The issue I have found is with being able to take out insurance only a year ahead. The TI providers don't seem to recognise that people are booking cruises two years ahead & seek insurance covering deposits paid (not the biggest issue) but more importantly unforeseen events that may occur in the interim that lead to the need for cancellation incurring perhaps significant penalties. Have others come across this?

I agree, we have 7 cruise currently booked and several other trips, 4 of the cruises and two of the trips are after the insurance runs out, so we would have to reapply as soon as it does.

12 hours ago, mr walker said:

Would that be a concern though?

Insurance in advance of the cruise is just for cancellation purposes. As you can normally cancel a cruise without cost here <6 months out, and also being over a year out would not have booked flights or accommodation, there shouldn't be any cancellation costs to cover over a year out.

Depends on how your insurance provider works, some need to know each and every trip you want covered while others have a blanket travel cover as long as it meets the criteria of the coverage (length of trip. which countries, etc).

16 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Insurance in advance of the cruise is just for cancellation purposes. As you can normally cancel a cruise without cost here <6 months out, and also being over a year out would not have booked flights or accommodation, there shouldn't be any cancellation costs to cover over a year out.

Yes I can understand that. I guess it's not quite as I was thinking.

Our current annual expires in 10 Jan '20, and we are just about to book a cruise for Oct 2020, which is a full charter, requiring 25% deposit at booking, and another 25% before our current TI expires. This cruise has harsher cancellation penalties than a 'regular' cruise & I would like to have coverage when I am outlaying substantial monies. We have also booked a cruise for Mar 28, 2020 with final payment due 20 Jan, so that should work if I renew again on expiry date ie before I make final payment.

Edited by mr walker
clarify

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Yes I can understand that. I guess it's not quite as I was thinking.

Our current annual expires in 10 Jan '20, and we are just about to book a cruise for Oct 2020, which is a full charter, requiring 25% deposit at booking, and another 25% before our current TI expires. This cruise has harsher cancellation penalties than a 'regular' cruise & I would like to have coverage when I am outlaying substantial monies. We have also booked a cruise for Mar 28, 2020 with final payment due 20 Jan, so that should work if I renew again on expiry date ie before I make final payment.

It can be tricky and also a bit of a gamble, you just don't know if they will cover your trip or not when you don't have the insurance just  yet due to the old one expiring. 

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It can be tricky and also a bit of a gamble, you just don't know if they will cover your trip or not when you don't have the insurance just  yet due to the old one expiring. 

Yes exactly. In any case I went ahead & booked our Oct 2020 charter cruise - Cruisin' Country on Serenade OTS. Had to pay almost $1500 deposit with booking. Until 20Dec cancellation cost is $250 per person, but from 21Dec it rises to 50% of total, essentially the 50% we would have paid by then.

On 3/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, JohnGc said:

Normally I book cruise Insurance with insurance & Go as soon as a deposit is paid for a cruise I but have found out that once over 75 yrs old you can not take out insurance more than 4 months in advance. Shame as Budget Direct lets you take it out well in advance.  I also like booking accomodation and flight tickets as soon as a good deal turns up even if it is 10 or 11 months in advance. Well the choice is now Budget that is a lot cheaper but do not cover missed ports or cabin confinement  ( not too bothered about those ) or pay more for Insurance & Go and wait until 4 months away. I have always used Insurance & Go but would be interested to know if fellow members have used Budget. Reviews seem good but I notice these are 90% of people that have not made claims.

Cheers John.

Has anyone used Budget Comprehensive insurance on their cruise ?

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

Yes exactly. In any case I went ahead & booked our Oct 2020 charter cruise - Cruisin' Country on Serenade OTS. Had to pay almost $1500 deposit with booking. Until 20Dec cancellation cost is $250 per person, but from 21Dec it rises to 50% of total, essentially the 50% we would have paid by then.

Well I am sure you will be fine, especially if you renew your policy for another year.