Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

13 hours ago, SRF said:

I guess you did not realize that Customs Agents are armed law enforcement officers?   They always carry guns.

Heck, here in DC, even the ones working in the office carry guns.  It is part of their uniform.

Are they all armed? Ive never noticed that the ones checking passports are armed, Not to say one way or the other.

On 3/30/2019 at 3:24 PM, thistimeplease said:

Never had a problem with the police or custom officials.  If you're not doing something illegal no need to worry. 

As civil rights case law books make you realize... those are often famous last words.

• Like 4

I have now seen the reply of the custom officer, yes they are all armed. I never noticed but I am sure I would if they were knocking on my door and taking me out for a search.🤷‍♀️

1 hour ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I’m honestly tired of answering questions and dealing with people with negative attitudes. I’ve told my story and explained myself enough. I’m done for now. Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about my attitude was negative?  I've already praised your poise in this situation although you've been snarky of late. Yes, I think calling a random search a "raid" is a bit over the top but that just my opinion.  Many people here, including myself, have been called out for over stating or being over dramatic. Not a big deal.

You posted a story that infers you were "targeted" for a drug search because you were going on a gay-charted cruise and over half of the B2B's were "targeted" as well.  That begs the question if there is much more drug use on a Atlantis cruise which promises (from their website) dozens of parties that are legendary, wild, over-the-top spectacles.  Your refusal to answer the question is an answer itself.

I bet if it was a spring break cruise with under-age drinkers, there would have been searches as well.

Perhaps if you are tired of answering questions, you shouldn't have posted the story in the first place. And honestly, many of your answer have always left me with a feeling that there was more to the story that you were not telling.

Sorry to see you go but I think you got what you were looking for - attention and sympathy.

• Like 4

What about my attitude was negative?  I've already praised your poise in this situation although you've been snarky of late. Yes, I think calling a random search a "raid" is a bit over the top but that just my opinion.  Many people here, including myself, have been called out for over stating or being over dramatic. Not a big deal.

You posted a story that infers you were "targeted" for a drug search because you were going on a gay-charted cruise and over half of the B2B's were "targeted" as well.  That begs the question if there is much more drug use on a Atlantis cruise which promises (from their website) dozens of parties that are legendary, wild, over-the-top spectacles.  Your refusal to answer the question is an answer itself.

I bet if it was a spring break cruise with under-age drinkers, there would have been searches as well.

Perhaps if you are tired of answering questions, you shouldn't have posted the story in the first place. And honestly, many of your answer have always left me with a feeling that there was more to the story that you were not telling.

Sorry to see you go but I think you got what you were looking for - attention and sympathy.

Wow [emoji50]

To be honest I don’t know what your question was and I don’t care anymore. Why do you feel you have the right to interrogate me? I told my story, answered as many questions as I could. Dozens and dozens. I hid nothing. I don’t think you realize how many messages I’ve been dealing with. I’m tired of this and I am sorry I posted the story. How quickly you and others turned on me when I’ve had enough.

If a moderator is watching please shut down this thread. Thanks.

• Like 4

OP---I feel for you.  About 5 years after my family moved to Germany I was awakened by police at my door at 6:00 a.m. one morning. They had a warrant to search our apartment (though I did not fully understand that at first, even though my German had gotten pretty good, not being into crime dramas on TV legals words like "warrant" were not in my vocabulary.

My husband was away on a business trip, my oldest kid off at university in the US and my younger one (17 at the time) home and very sick with pneumonia and apparently accused of operating a cell phone stealing ring at a train station about an hour from us.   Huh?

At some point, the name of the person whose stolen cell was traced to having been online at our house the day it was stolen was mentioned.  It was the best friend of my oldest---who had been home on summer break at that time and the friend had come down to visit.  I was able to pull the calendar off the kitchen wall and show that same name written on our calendar on the day in question---at which point the demeanor of the two officers changed drastically.  But they were still required to carry out a search of the various rooms, wake my son for questioning etc.  They also let me call the friend who felt horrible about this whole debacle (no one asked her where else she'd been that day before the phone was stolen) and she spoke to the officers and then went to her local station (where she'd filed the report) and spoke to them too.

Several weeks later we got a paper stating there was no evidence we'd committed any crime.  

It was a VERY stressful morning and while I think it is nutty that the officers in the other town asked for and were granted a warrant based on only seeing where the phone/account had logged in without checking with the phone owners to see if she had been there that day, I cannot really fault the officers who came by for doing their job nor the system for trying to stop this kind of theft.  Though the idea that the discourse entirely focused on the teen boy living in the home as the obvious suspect was awfully upsetting to my son---quite a stereo type there.

That said----I have to agree with those who've posted now and again in the thread that this probably had a lot to do with the history of the Atlantis charters as being known for and sold as over the top party ships and having a background of drugs issues and even the overdoes.  I had, truthfully, forgotten that they are a gay charter and was ONLY thinking of the party/drug aspect they are known for until I hit on other posts who brought up being offended and thinking being gay is what made this sailing a possible target (assuming this level of search is not typical).  Personally, I would think that it would be the history of drug problems on these charters which would mean it is targeted (and, IMO, reasonably so) for additional search, including of back to back cabins (as that might be a way some enterprising people may try to get past security to get drugs on-board to use or sell).  

6 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Once again, the issue as I see it, is being B2B. I doubt many partying spring breakers would be on a B2B cruise.

5 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Wow emoji50.png

To be honest I don’t know what your question was and I don’t care anymore. Why do you feel you have the right to interrogate me? I told my story, answered as many questions as I could. Dozens and dozens. I hid nothing. I don’t think you realize how many messages I’ve been dealing with. I’m tired of this and I am sorry I posted the story. How quickly you and others turned on me when I’ve had enough.

Best way to lock this down is to click on the flag icon in upper right of each post. Make the request there. 

Truly sorry you had a rough morning. 

• Like 1

Lots of videos on youtube for  border patrol and you bet that is exactly what happens... the owner has to repack their own bag.

When I had a screening coming back from Iceland at Dulles Airport he did not remove any of my things, all neatly rolled up dirty clothes, from my bag. He went thru my things in the bag with the bag zipped open. All I had to do was close the bag and zip it back up.

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Once again, the issue as I see it, is being B2B. I doubt many partying spring breakers would be on a B2B cruise.

As everyone and their property is security screened every time they get on a ship I fail to understand the need for this unnecessary roomsearch.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

As everyone and their property is security screened every time they get on a ship I fail to understand the need for this unnecessary roomsearch.

Not very thorough in the islands.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Wow emoji50.png

You're surprised at my response? You accuse me of being negative after I've been nothing but respectful of you and praised your composure and even shared that I'm not sure how I would react. You continually dismiss/evade a honest question to my post and several others. And yet, I'm the one that turned on you?? 🙄  

You posted a very unique story and what followed was a conversation, not an interrogation. And of course there are going to be questions asked, that's the point of sharing a story on a community forum. Honestly, 99.9% of the postings have been understanding of your side of the story so again, I don't see the negativity. There have been a lot of over-the-top tangents but no direct attacks on you personally that I've seen,.

If I was unusually harsh, then accept my apologies.  Should I ever find myself on a cruise with you, I'll be happy to share a drink.

BTW, the question: Have you noticed if drug use on the Atlantis party cruise higher than a regular cruise? I think we both know that answer.

I apologize if my post was unusually harsh.

Edited by HBE4

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Yeah, I had trouble of coming up with a similar scenario. Perhaps there is none, which is why random cabin searches are rare.

6 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I don’t think you realize how many messages I’ve been dealing with

Private messages? You are right, I have no idea. If you've been dealing with negative messages attacking you, it was not my intent to add to that ball of hate.

54 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This cruise was in the news.  A US Government contractor and his friend were planning to smuggle drugs nboard this charter, with the intent to distribute.  They used a government computer to plan it.   So, the Feds were tipped off that there would be drugs smuggled on board.   OP probably didn’t see this news broadcast on the charter. 

My take is it’s not the fact of a normal B2B, so much as a B2-Charter cruise - a charter where Feds has surveillance that drugs were being smuggled onto this charter.  Seems logical that they would also do random screening of those continuing on the charter - just in case past passengers smuggled on from a port stop on previous cruise.

Still, I feel for the OP, standing on display in a bath robe.  That surely should  have been handled better and respectfully!

Edited by BSocial
Clarification
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, BSocial said:

This cruise was in the news.  A US Government contractor and his friend were planning to smuggle drugs nboard this charter, with the intent to distribute.  They used a government computer to plan it.   So, the Feds were tipped off that there would be drugs smuggled on board.   OP probably didn’t see this news broadcast on the charter. 

My take is it’s not the fact of a normal B2B, so much as a B2-Charter cruise - a charter where Feds has surveillance that drugs were being smuggled onto this charter.  Seems logical that they would also do random screening of those continuing on the charter - just in case past passengers smuggled on from a port stop on previous cruise.

Still, I feel for the OP, standing on display in a bath robe.  That surely should  have been handled better and respectfully!

Living in the UK I never heard the story until the op posted.

From what you said I now understand why people were targeted albeit the searches sound a little over the top.

You're surprised at my response? You accuse me of being negative after I've been nothing but respectful of you and praised your composure and even shared that I'm not sure how I would react. You continually dismiss/evade a honest question to my post and several others. And yet, I'm the one that turned on you?? [emoji849]  

You posted a very unique story and what followed was a conversation, not an interrogation. And of course there are going to be questions asked, that's the point of sharing a story on a community forum. Honestly, 99.9% of the postings have been understanding of your side of the story so again, I don't see the negativity. There have been a lot of over-the-top tangents but no direct attacks on you personally that I've seen,.

If I was unusually harsh, then accept my apologies.  Should I ever find myself on a cruise with you, I'll be happy to share a drink.

BTW, the question: Have you noticed if drug use on the Atlantis party cruise higher than a regular cruise? I think we both know that answer.

I apologize if my post was unusually harsh.

Okay last night was rough. My phone had been buzzing steadily for 3 days and I was on the brink of insanity. I’ll break my silence as I believe you’re sincere. I must have skimmed over your question as I don’t remember seeing it. I have read it now and it’s no big deal to answer and I didn’t intentionally evade it.

I’ve been on 9 Atlantis cruises. I have never seen anyone actually take drugs. There are many age demographics on board and many different cruises going on on the same cruise if that makes sense. I am in my 50’s. I’m not going to kid you, I do see the party boys up all night dancing and they all look like they’re on something. They must be with all that energy. But they sleep all day and are not part of my crowd. I was on Harmony last year as well And although I saw the news reports I saw nothing on the ship. It seems like everyone thinks Atlantis cruises are giant gay drug laden orgies. In reality I find they are a week of being on a gay planet where everyone is like me. It’s total freedom in my own gay world. There is a strict attitude checked at the door rule that everyone must be friendly with everyone and I have found that it’s followed. I’m treated like gold on these cruises. During the day there are elderly gentlemen knitting by the pool and drag bingo in the theatre. It really is a mix. I do participate in most of the theme dances but I’m usually in bed by 2am. Nothing different than a gay club on land.

It’s hard to compare Atlantis to a regular cruise as I do not go dancing and party heavy often on a regular cruise. It’s a different, mellower, martini in the diamond lounge vacation. However I did see someone smoke a joint on their balcony once on a regular NCL cruise. I thought that person must be crazy to bring pot on board or maybe he had a prescription? Who knows.

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. I’m not stupid I know there’s drugs on board a gay cruise but I honestly have not seen them nor has anybody offered them to me. Martinis on the other hand are my personal downfall [emoji1] hic!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

If the islands security is poor what about when they board the ship?

I wonder about that as well, you'd think with 2 levels of security, they's catch most things. But illegals substances still find their way aboard ships.

6 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I wonder about that as well, you'd think with 2 levels of security, they's catch most things. But illegals substances still find their way aboard ships.

They find their way into prisons too, which amazes me.

11 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

Okay last night was rough. My phone had been buzzing steadily for 3 days and I was on the brink of insanity. I’ll break my silence as I believe you’re sincere. I must have skimmed over your question as I don’t remember seeing it. I have read it now and it’s no big deal to answer and I didn’t intentionally evade it. 

11 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

I hope I’ve answered your question to your satisfaction. I’m not stupid I know there’s drugs on board a gay cruise but I honestly have not seen them nor has anybody offered them to me. Martinis on the other hand are my personal downfall emoji1.png hic!

Again, please accept my apologies as I didn't mean to come across attacking you or accusing you of wrong doing. I certainly did not mean to add more stress to a stressful situation.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write a detailed answer. You have answered my question and no more questions from me. Thank you for providing the insight. 

Thank you and cheers. 🥂

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jimdalva said:

'Keep on Truckin' Dickie, don't let them get you down! See you in Feb on BNTT!

Thanks for your support. I forgot what cruise critic can be like and it’s hard not taking it personally. I thought people would find my story interesting and most did. I just wasn’t prepared for the negativity and overwhelming demands on me. 

I’m good now. See y’all next year! 

• Like 1