Allure - Our room was raided and tossed!

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

...the bad press from the OD last year.

I had entirely forgotten about that until you mentioned it. But, yeah, not good press. And better to let CBP be the bad guys busting people rather than RC security during the cruise.

Am I really the only person who thinks this search is no big deal? I am one of those folks who stand back and say "Search away, I have nothing to hide".  I don't care that I get taken aside and patted down wherever I go, airports, govt buildings, I figure it is all designed to make me safer. As far as standing in the hall in a robe! Quelle horreur! I wear much less than that when I go up to the pool.   

Edited by emdia43
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Am I really the only person who thinks this search is no big deal? I am one of those folks who stand back and say "Search away, I have nothing to hide".  I don't care that I get taken aside and patted down wherever I go, airports, govt buildings, I figure it is all designed to make me safer.

I don't think it is a big deal for everyone. As I posted earlier, for me it might be because I often have confidential information on my phone/laptop related to work, so I need to be worried about what happens if they see that. Maybe nothing but you never really know what they're looking for or what they'll do with what they find.

• Like 3

That makes sense. I'm sure Roysl did no appreciate the bad press from the OD last year. 

I'm actually surprised they keep taking this group. Must be quite lucrative

“This group” is gay men. Your comment isn’t appreciated. The individual that ODed made his own choices. Sadly it wasn’t a wise one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Am I really the only person who thinks this search is no big deal? I am one of those folks who stand back and say "Search away, I have nothing to hide".  I don't care that I get taken aside and patted down wherever I go, airports, govt buildings, I figure it is all designed to make me safer. As far as standing in the hall in a robe! Quelle horreur! I wear much less than that when I go up to the pool.   

So easy to say this behind the comfort of your keyboard. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrislynn55 said:

To clarify: There are guns here; law enforcement have them, licensed hunters have them, and unfortunately criminals manage to have them. My reference to 'gun culture' means that those of us who have no involvement with law enforcement, with hunters, or with criminals never see guns....it's not part of the 'culture' of normal citizens. A friend in Chicago told me that virtually everyone she knows has a gun. In Canada, no-one I know has a gun.

A few posts earlier in the thread referenced that the presence of guns during the OP's cabin inspection might cause some people in that position to feel additional alarm if they were in the OP's situation. I'd be one of them because I have no normalized frame of reference with them.

That still doesn't make any sense to me.  If you're accustomed to seeing guns on law enforcement officers, there would be no difference seeing it in the US.  What the heck does the news tell you people up there?  We're all running with openly displayed guns on our hips?   

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:14 AM, sparks1093 said:

As I understand it, CBP does not need any type of paperwork to search at the border. I believe that they may do random searches from time to time so the dog may or may not have alerted on anything. This is one of the reasons DW is leaving her CBD oil at home. 

I was just going to say the pot vapor pens look just like any other pen, so this has to be an interesting issue; since they are becoming more common place. I wonder if dogs can really get a hit on them, or have they been pulling out all pens @ security boarding & testing pens.

43 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

“This group” is gay men. Your comment isn’t appreciated. The individual that ODed made his own choices. Sadly it wasn’t a wise one.

Not targeting the clientele, just the operator

49 minutes ago, Trickie Dickie said:

So easy to say this behind the comfort of your keyboard. Sometimes it’s better to say nothing.

I agree with you and I am very sorry you had to experience this.

23 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

As a Canadian who regularly crossed the border and was routinely subjected to increased scrutiny because of my frequent crossings. I think the whole whole this g is much ado about nothing. But that’s not likely to be the popular nor prevailing opinion. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 7:51 PM, gatour said:

Really???  "at the airport....they get a warrant and search it"  Far from it.  They actually can search a bag for any reason.  The only way you would know if the put a letter in the baggage, or notice that the lock is missing and things seemed disheveled

When I got to my hotel room in Rome I saw the lock had been cut and laughed because I knew they had opened the suitcase.  There was a letter in there stating it had been opened.  Viking allows you to bring all the alcohol you want so I had a bottle of Kahlua in my checked bag. I suspect that was what made them curious enough to look.  Nothing looked disturbed at all. 

I live in the U.S., don't own a gun, the only people I know that do are LEO.

I don't think this situation is a big deal.  That said, it didn't happen to me and I feel for TD.  It stinks it happened, and I think he has a good attitude about the whole thing.

I have thought about how to respond to this thread w/o offending anyone.  I am a retired Customs Inspector(17 yrs).  I never worked in Florida or any seaport.

Some facts:

Since 1986, Customs officers are required to be armed w. issue weapon while on duty.  Failure to do is a disciplinary matter.

All complaints are investigated.  If you are treated rudely, you should complain.  Since 1998, HQ monitors all complaints and retains the right to take over investigation of said complaints.  When a complaint is received, the supervisor is required to gather all info and fax it to HQ within 24 hrs.  Failure to do so is a disciplinary matter.  A colleague was in the process of being fired for repeated rudeness when he opted for early retirement at a poverty level pension(9 yrs under minimum pension age).

All officers are required to wear name tags.  Even after time has passed, the OP can still complain, but he said that he was treated respectfully by the officers who spoke to him.

I don't know what caused this inspection, but I'm sorry that it happened.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emdia43 said:

No, you're not the only one that thinks it's not really a big deal. A bit unnerving yes but not a big deal. I would have the same attitude as you: search away!!

I thought it was a cool little unique story but now it has spiraled out of control.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

As a Canadian who regularly crossed the border and was routinely subjected to increased scrutiny because of my frequent crossings. I think the whole whole this g is much ado about nothing. But that’s not likely to be the popular nor prevailing opinion. 

I too think it's much ado about nothing. I think many people are trying to be politically correct. Also, these days there seems to be a lot of mock outrage out there.

• Like 4

I think once one clears customs and security and are in their room they are "home". I think that is probably part of what makes this more disturbing to the poster than getting shuttled into a room in an airport or before getting on board. Its just something much less expected in a "home" environment.

Maybe we don't know our onboard neighbors but if the first impression is under guard in the hallway its not a good one. Its not something I would expect on  cruise. I think that's part of the shock, its an out of the norm experience.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trickie Dickie said:

You never answered my question in post #492.

If standing in the hallway barefoot and in a robe is the inconvenience that I have pay to save the life of one of my fellow cruisers, I will gladly pay it each and every cruise that I go on.  Drugs are a scourge on society and anything done to prevent their proliferation and their awesome consequence is OK by me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I think once one clears customs and security and are in their room they are "home". I think that is probably part of what makes this more disturbing to the poster than getting shuttled into a room in an airport or before getting on board. Its just something much less expected in a "home" environment.

Maybe we don't know our onboard neighbors but if the first impression is under guard in the hallway its not a good one. Its not something I would expect on  cruise. I think that's part of the shock, its an out of the norm experience.

Doubtful that any of the observing neighbors stayed for the second leg. We never did hear how many B2B passengers were on the ship. Anyway, the whole ordeal was over before anyone new boarded.

You never answered my question in post #492.

I’m honestly tired of answering questions and dealing with people with negative attitudes. I’ve told my story and explained myself enough. I’m done for now. Thanks everyone.

• Like 5

On 4/2/2019 at 9:11 PM, Cruzaholic41 said:

Because you were there and know exactly what happened, apparently. I mean, that’s gotta be it because there’s no way anyone still believes everything they read in the media. No way. 

There are 2 cases pending on these types of searches. Thats not media speculation. or spin.We do not know the facts on this particular case, We don't know whether the border patrol is innocent of wrong doing ,and constitutional rights do get violated. Thats what court cases are for, to protect our rights.