new surf internet package - CC discount?

bebe08

I can see the new surf internet package available for purchase thru cruise planner for my upcoming Sept cruise.  This is great news as it is about half the price of the unlimited internet package, and will give us what we need.  (Surf = $173 CDN, vs unlimited at $360 CDN).  We always wait and purchase internet onboard to take advantage of the CC discount...I assume the discount will also apply to the new surf package.  If anyone has already experienced buying the new surf onboard would be interested to hear.

Our new value-priced Surf Internet Package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube.

14 minutes ago, bebe08 said:

I can see the new surf internet package available for purchase thru cruise planner for my upcoming Sept cruise.  This is great news as it is about half the price of the unlimited internet package, and will give us what we need.  (Surf = $173 CDN, vs unlimited at $360 CDN).  We always wait and purchase internet onboard to take advantage of the CC discount...I assume the discount will also apply to the new surf package.  If anyone has already experienced buying the new surf onboard would be interested to hear.

Our new value-priced Surf Internet Package is for anyone who simply wants the ability to text, check email, surf the web, and keep in touch with family and friends while on vacation. This package does not include VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) technology such as FaceTime, Skype, or the ability to stream videos though Netflix and YouTube.

Simone on a different thread reported that they got their CC discount on the Surf Package.   You can do it pre-cruise by calling Captain's Club.

Thank you so much for posting about this package. First I've heard about it.

The unlimited internet for my 7 day Bermuda cruise in May was $186.75 for one device after my select discount.  The Surf package is $66.83 after my discount. I just booked it with Captain's Club.  We just need to access email, surf the net and do whatsapp texting. Had decided not to bother with unlimited internet but this is great

Captain's Club rep said it can be booked on board if you need to use non-ref obc.

14 minutes ago, charlielinda said:

Can someone tell me the differences in unlimited and surf.   Thanks so much. 

Both packages offer unlimited internet...however with surf you can't skype, facetime or stream - we never do this anyways.  Below are the descriptions of the 2 packages from the X website.

Surf

Unlimited

Our Xcelerate Wi-Fi service means higher-speed internet at sea, so you can now share your sumptuous dinners and exciting shore excursions with friends and family around the world. Show off your stylish stateroom via FaceTime or Skype. Stream must-see shows from your favorite apps like Netflix. Use your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to connect, or use one of our workstations in the Celebrity iLounge, open 24 hours a day. Enjoy a discounted daily rate for your entire voyage. It's your hassle-free solution to staying connected onboard.

Newbie question....

We’re new to Celebrity but have joined Captains Club and have a number and linked our Royal Caribbean number to it.  We’ve booked and made final payment for our June sailing.  Would we qualify for the discount if I call?

The surf package is great for keeping in touch with family on the ship and elsewhere through text and email. The surf function would be very limited due to the reported speed unless it is a very simple website with mostly text. For a 7 night cruise, the pre-cruise discounted prices of $89.1 for 1 device and $133.65 for 2 devices are a lot more reasonable than the unlimited internet package. For streaming video, you would likely need a travel router in addition to the high speed connection. I was waiting for this surf package but then decided to go for the unlimited internet package during the Spring Sale. I am sure my kids are going to complain on the ship if I only get the surf package. 😅

1 hour ago, X2tgibso said:

Newbie question....

We’re new to Celebrity but have joined Captains Club and have a number and linked our Royal Caribbean number to it.  We’ve booked and made final payment for our June sailing.  Would we qualify for the discount if I call?

Your Royal Caribbean  Crown & Anchor level???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, X2tgibso said:

Newbie question....

You will be eligible for any discount you qualify for.   What is you Royal status level?

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

You will be eligible for any discount you qualify for.   What is you Royal status level?

We’re just Emerald with RC.  I’ll look and see what discounts we qualify for on their website.  Thanks, Jim 😊

23 hours ago, X2tgibso said:

We’re just Emerald with RC.  I’ll look and see what discounts we qualify for on their website.  Thanks, Jim 😊

You will be Select on Celebrity.  You will receive  25% discount of the package you select.

1724149483_RoyalReciprocity.jpg.8d22156a78c1f714581a7c3f9384dca4.jpg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

You will be Select on Celebrity.  You will receive  25% discount of the package you select.

1724149483_RoyalReciprocity.jpg.8d22156a78c1f714581a7c3f9384dca4.jpg

Thanks!  I really appreciate you posting.  Looking at RCs website it didn’t look like we qualified.  My 18 year old will be thrilled.  I’m making him pay for it 😉

On 3/30/2019 at 11:04 AM, bebe08 said:

We had the SURF internet option added to our cruise next month (giving it a try, as it suits our internet needs, we are not streamers).  I called the Captain’s Club and they applied our 30% Elite discount using our OBC that was awarded to us via Celebrity from our on board booking (Future Cruise vacations).  

3 minutes ago, J_Kepler said:

Does anyone look forward to the cruise because they CAN'T get online?

Being off line would be *extremely* stressful for us, since we have aging parents that are in their final years.  We do not use streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, blah blah); that is why this new SURF option (emails and texts) is absolutely perfect for us.

We can stay in touch with home, ensuring all is good and having *peace of mind* while traveling.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Being off line would be *extremely* stressful for us, since we have aging parents that are in their final years.  We do not use streaming services (Netflix, Hulu, blah blah); that is why this new SURF option (emails and texts) is absolutely perfect for us.

We can stay in touch with home, ensuring all is good and having *peace of mind* while traveling.

Those with those situations would be a must.  I like to have a connections in third world countries for my safety.  But when it comes to the cruise - I am offline...

(I have netflix/hulu but have deleted them from my phone)

It would be fine for me as I would have internet at the port's except for the sea days. It would be hard for my daughter's. In addition, I would like to monitor my home while we are away. We have home automation, security sensors and cameras that are not monitored by a company but ourselves through the internet.

Has anyone actually tried the new surf option?  Can you post on facebook?  post pictures?  Does WIFI calling work since the surf option doesn't have VOIP? 

I have only have voom on Royal and it has been plenty for me.

Edited by nesheiml

• 2 months later...

I am only Select, but I just called Captain's Club and received my 25% off of the Surf package. She asked me for my Tier and then confirmed my discount. Not sure about Elite, but it at least worked for Select Tier!

1 hour ago, sr4mjc said:

Just got off the phone with Captain's Club, they said no Elite discount on the Surf package.  Has anyone gotten it lately?  Or is this a hang up and call back situation? 

Might want to call back? There is, but only on the SINGLE device one. I wanted the 2 Device package (minus the Elite 30%) but was told CC can ONLY sell the single package. Would cost me more for 2 singles ($25) using the Elite discount than getting the 2 device on-board. You get the discount that way. Can go to the iLounge and get it or even on the device when you first connect.