I thought I read....

bjfitz0703

From Carnival:

"Power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark. "  

• Like 2

Definitely allowed, just make sure that there is no surge protection included, as earlier posters mentioned...

Just be careful- it can be hard sometimes to figure out if your older power strip has surge protection or not... some are obvious, some not so much. To be sure I bought a brand new one (at the Dollar Store- for a dollar! go figure!) that clearly had no surge protection and it's my cruise power strip now...

• Like 1

I'll just throw this out there in case anyone wants to pick it up. I love taking a long extension cord (mine is 9 or 10 ft.) instead of a power strip. I also bring one of those 3-way outlet adapters. This gives us plenty of outlets for charging our phones, using my portable fan, or whatever, but the extension cord also gives us freedom to move things around much farther away from the wall outlet than a power strip. Since I do bring a portable fan, the cord lets me put it right by the bed. We use it for the air but also the white noise. My wife can stretch the fan into the bathroom to get ready after it's steamed up. Or to use her hair straightener in there instead of at the vanity mirror.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

I'll just throw this out there in case anyone wants to pick it up. I love taking a long extension cord (mine is 9 or 10 ft.) instead of a power strip. I also bring one of those 3-way outlet adapters. This gives us plenty of outlets for charging our phones, using my portable fan, or whatever, but the extension cord also gives us freedom to move things around much farther away from the wall outlet than a power strip. Since I do bring a portable fan, the cord lets me put it right by the bed. We use it for the air but also the white noise. My wife can stretch the fan into the bathroom to get ready after it's steamed up. Or to use her hair straightener in there instead of at the vanity mirror.

That's what we do too - my wife needs the extension cord by the bed for her CPAP.  And I have a pretty long cord for my phone so we can lay in bed at night and charge phones and still use them.  

I have an extension cord that we bring for hubby's CPAP machine. On the Pride in November, he was on the far side of the bed from the wall plug. We ran the cord under the bed. For our phones, tablets, etc., I used the USB plugs that are in the base of the lamps.

Karen

Instead of a traditional power strip, I have a new box type one that has 2 plugs and 4 USB ports. It has no surge protector. I purchased it from Amazon. It really works well because so much of what I plug in anymore has a USB end.

People actually take these?

I guess it just seems weird to me (outside of things like maybe a medical device like a CPAP) that you'd need this. We've never taken more than what I call a "4-spot" (it's a plug in USB charger with 4 ports) because that's really all we need since our electronics (except for my Kindle E-reader) get put away while we're cruising because we don't mind being totally disconnected from everything and everyone in the real world for a week.

11 minutes ago, IPlayWithString said:

I guess it just seems weird to me (outside of things like maybe a medical device like a CPAP) that you'd need this. We've never taken more than what I call a "4-spot" (it's a plug in USB charger with 4 ports) because that's really all we need since our electronics (except for my Kindle E-reader) get put away while we're cruising because we don't mind being totally disconnected from everything and everyone in the real world for a week.

My phone is disconnected from service, but I keep it charged for camera use all day.

11 minutes ago, IPlayWithString said:

Yes, I would guess the majority of people take them, though I don't know what people actually take. When you have 3 phones to charge every night, GoPro batteries, tablets, watches, plus anything else that one may charge. While some people put their electronics away, I'd say most do not. 

3 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

Phones, qty 2, need USB at least, though using known high-current converters is better since some USB ports were built to old 0.5A standard.  The phone charge might last a few days when in airplane mode, but sometimes we take a lot of "less formal" photos, so they can drain sooner than you might think.  And wifi for the HUB app can drain it too.

Camera batteries, qty 1 or 2, need 120 VAC outlet - we like to take tons of photos with our DSLRs

GoPro battery and gimbal needs 2 USB - more photo/video goodness, especially on excursions and first day exploring the ship

So yeah, power strips are handy on the ships that aren't full of USB ports.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

Why is it that every time people discuss power outlets and/or electronic devices, someone has to make that comment? I'm sorry, but I have a hard time taking comments like that as being anything other than condescending. You're able to put your electronics away for a week. Great. That's how you cruise, and there's nothing wrong with that, but it's not necessarily how everyone else cruises. While you're perfectly happy not using your phones and devices on a cruise, others still enjoy having them. My phone is my alarm in case I want to get up for something. It's my very portable camera when I don't feel like carrying my DSLR (or don't take it on the cruise at all). I enjoy using the Hub app. And it's even my "nightlight" in our dark interior cabin when I get up in the night to use the bathroom. It's also our chosen communication device to keep in touch with our son, each other, and possibly a couple people back home. As I mentioned before, I also take a portable fan on every vacation we go on, not just cruises. I get hot easily and I prefer the white noise at night. We all have our reasons for needing multiple electrical outlets and USB ports beyond medical use. That doesn't make it wrong.

• Like 3