NCL getting rid of towel animals? is that true or april fools day.

23 hours ago, hallux said:

Me?  Not really.  It's a neat treat to come back to the room to but it's not my primary focus on the trip.

I agree,  as i said before cute and silly and doubt very much it takes them a long time to do. That said, i wish they would get rid off the hypnotists and the same Jersey boys show music over and over again on every cruise. OH OH, some people will take offense to that last thing in 4-3-2-1........:🤣

14 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

OK, my take on this: many of us who have been sailing since the 1980 s didn't know what towel animals were until years after we started. When we saw our first one, most of us loved it and looked forward to what would be in our cabin the next night, but never did it really make a huge difference. Now, if they do discontinue  them it won't make a difference either. certainly no one can really think animal towels make a huge difference in anyone's cruise experience and think of all the towels that have to be laundered after these animals are looked at and thrown to the side? Think of the time it takes each cabin steward to make them and the clutter they also make, especially in some of the smaller cabins? I understand people getting upset about some changes, but anyone being bothered by the lack of towel animals must get bothered with life pretty easily. 

If they are going to take Towels animals away then I expect an OBC refunding the cost of creating them in my account as compensation........ Or maybe not 🙂

2 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

I agree,  as i said before cute and silly and doubt very much it takes them a long time to do. That said, i wish they would get rid off the hypnotists and the same Jersey boys show music over and over again on every cruise. OH OH, some people will take offense to that last thing in 4-3-2-1........:🤣

Let's add "After Dark" and "Havanna Nights" too.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

I was happy years ago when they got rid of the chocolate buffet. I found the buffet kind of gross, people being wasteful etc but the towel animals? that does not cost them anything. I for one think is a silly, cute thing they do, and children of a certain age like it. If its true then is a shame.

Fleet wide, they were dumping 10,000 pounds of chocolate overboard each week (lots of happy fish). 

This week, we’ve had some visitors on the Escape

23042FC5-41C4-4904-B134-9FD81FAC45C0.jpeg

221838AF-858B-4291-A3BC-A7E8F2B3835D.jpeg

B2352AFC-A629-4711-826F-55D94A2BC3DF.jpeg

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cruitenn said:

I guess we will not meet new room mates anymore! Best towel person from the Breakaway in 6/2013!

4883FA34-4E9E-4DF4-A2FA-DADC7AB7BEC7.jpeg

that reminds me of one we had years ago on Carnival; the guy was wearing a hit and had cigarette in his mouth. My 2 daughters and I just cracked up. I think there was girl towel also holding a glass of wine, but am not sure. It has been, probably 25 years ago. Might have been the first towel animals we ever saw or close. 

On 4/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, spanishguy1970 said:

I was happy years ago when they got rid of the chocolate buffet. I found the buffet kind of gross, people being wasteful etc but the towel animals? that does not cost them anything. I for one think is a silly, cute thing they do, and children of a certain age like it. If its true then is a shame.

Not just Children-----I like it too.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, rpb718 said:

You'd have to have them declared as an endangered species first.

maybe everyone would be content if they had them once or twice per cruise. Would people stop the crying over spilt animals then? Same with the chocolate buffet, wasted of money and effort just so people could take pictures to show to their friends. I doubt many people ate much of what was offered. This goes for late night buffets that were the rule years ago. 

I agree that after a few cruises we won’t miss them.  Good for kids on their first cruise.  Maybe they could leave them in the early days in rooms with children.  We never cruised in the days of the chocolate buffet, but we are so full of food I can’t imagine needing that too.  I do miss lox in the garden buffet and a lobster tail now and again out of Boston.  😊

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sunnysafari said:

I agree that after a few cruises we won’t miss them.  Good for kids on their first cruise.  Maybe they could leave them in the early days in rooms with children.  We never cruised in the days of the chocolate buffet, but we are so full of food I can’t imagine needing that too.  I do miss lox in the garden buffet and a lobster tail now and again out of Boston.  😊

I miss the lox as well, but have been told you can ask them to bring you some, they; will. I just either eat in the MDR for breakfast or do without, but I still miss them. 

I have taken a photo of every towel animal from our first cruise. Yes, it adds to the environmental impact.  Over the past years, we have used them the next day, thinking not to waste a clean towel. 

Couching it as an environmental savings is good marketing.  It’s cost savings. We are talking about a cruise?  Right?  Cruise industry has come a long way but it takes a lot of fuel to get from point A to B in our floating hotel. 

Maybe it will be a perk choice in the future. 

• Like 1

ok, lets not feel sorry for poor ol' NCL with their "epic", and mounting PROFITS...  the little thing like the towel animals which have delighted passengers and of course children for ages seriously wont break the bank for them.  We pay plenty for these cruises and on top we are forced to pay additional (Mandatory) "onboard service charges" and then to brow beat us into adding tips above and beyond... and not to mention the 20% ! add-on gratuity added to every service whether it is spa or dining or drink package... the least they can do is give us a smile and a chuckle with a clever towel animal once a day.   also, I suspect it wasn't the attendants who made them ...they probably have a bunch of people in a sweatshop somewhere in the dregs of the ship making these by the thousands.  I guess they want to save the pittance they pay them.  or maybe they are planing to charge for them in the future... look for the new "towel animal package" with the added 20% gratuity tacked on.

save the towel animals!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mooche said:

ok, lets not feel sorry for poor ol' NCL with their "epic", and mounting PROFITS...  the little thing like the towel animals which have delighted passengers and of course children for ages seriously wont break the bank for them.  We pay plenty for these cruises and on top we are forced to pay additional (Mandatory) "onboard service charges" and then to brow beat us into adding tips above and beyond... and not to mention the 20% ! add-on gratuity added to every service whether it is spa or dining or drink package... the least they can do is give us a smile and a chuckle with a clever towel animal once a day.   also, I suspect it wasn't the attendants who made them ...they probably have a bunch of people in a sweatshop somewhere in the dregs of the ship making these by the thousands.  I guess they want to save the pittance they pay them.  or maybe they are planing to charge for them in the future... look for the new "towel animal package" with the added 20% gratuity tacked on.

save the towel animals!

Oh my freaking god this made my day...made me laugh so hard.. BRILLIANT.

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

I miss the lox as well, but have been told you can ask them to bring you some, they; will. I just either eat in the MDR for breakfast or do without, but I still miss them. 

Just off a B2B on the Norwegian Jade. Was told by the Executive Chef that smoked salmon on the buffet has been removed by orders from Head Office and is no longer available even if requested. Pity! Another step on the slippery slope regarding the cruising experience at NCL. The answer  if one wants smoked salmon at breakfast is to dine in the MDR. 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:49 AM, thetaro said:

I would rather have a free bottle of water or some chocolate over some towel animals. I feel bad breaking it and don't really know where to put it. 

Why would you put chocolate over a towel animal? That sounds pretty freaky! I guess if that is the sort of thing you are into I understand. (FYI, it will be tough to get the chocolate out of the towel in the wash)!     😉

13 hours ago, mooche said:

save the towel animals!

cuter post, made me smile!!!! 

To me, they are a cute, but passing amusement as I come in to my room....nothing more.  But I can appreciate the fact that lots of people enjoy them.  I was amazed at the number of people who attended the towel animal folding demo in the atrium when I was on Breakaway back in November.  And it wasn't just the older or younger crowd.  My 23 y/o actually volunteered to participate in the demo.  Maybe they could make a permanent display of them somewhere on the ship so people can still enjoy them.

• 4 months later...