New pinnacle menu?

DoggyDaddy

2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

The offering of the bacon as a starter and the attendant presentation are very much part of the Hipster/curated/craft food trends. Go to any trendy urban craft food pub/restaurant and you'd pay a good $10-15 (or more) for this starter........

There are many other items I'd rather see on the menu over this, but HAL seems to be trying to find a way to reach the younger end of Gen-X (passengers in their 40s to early 50s) who live in more hip, trendy, urban areas, and the new Pinnacle Grill menu in my opinion is very much in line with that goal.

Thanks for your response.  I don't patronize "trendy urban craft food pub/restaurants" and won't be doing so.

It's OK with me that the menu options/entertainment options change in order to attempt to appeal to a new generation of cruisers.  Just maintain those menu items and entertainment options that my generation still enjoy!

• Like 1

We are just off the Eurodam and we are in the PG twice. Really liked the new menu but were seriously disappointed in the “candied” bacon. 

The bacon was was tough and chewy and definitely not candied. They said they marinated it in maple syrup and then grilled it. That definitely is not how you

candy bacon.  Both servings were a let down. 

But hallelujah for new desserts in the PG, finally!  

My parents just got off Eurodam yesterday. Here are a few pics of some items at the Pinnacle Grill. 

Salmon Pastrami - mom said super good

Delmonico Steak - med rare - very good 

short ribs 

EE999AEF-6521-4CB0-B07B-316A9377D64E.jpeg

88025C73-D632-4049-9470-881D91BE423F.jpeg

3295A423-A56E-426A-BBDC-9BBF23226A0D.jpeg

D89432E0-FC60-4420-8845-0D833CE18945.jpeg

DE2D5F4C-3C74-4F29-92D7-026A97161270.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 7:43 PM, GRACECRUISE said:

Bacon Clothesline - We got one just to see it and it was fantastic.  Would get again,

I has it on the NA last month. I liked it but it was way too much as an appetizer for one person. 

I have a picture but can't figure out how to post on this new format. 😕

Pastrami salmon and clothesline bacon appetizers in the PG on the Eurodam last month (Hawaii-Tahiti-Marquesas cruise).  I didn’t care for either one.

The salmon was slimy and tasted more like salmon beyond its prime.  

The bacon was just your standard thick-cut bacon brushed with maple syrup and then baked; the pickle tasted like a standard dill pickle spear you can find in jars in most supermarkets.

Overall, seriously disappointed in the PG.  Tried it 3 times on this trip, and while maybe one dish was good to excellent, at least one dish was pretty awful.  Service the last meal was abysmal.  

The one Pinnacle Grill ”bright spot” was the Cellar Master Dinner.  Absolute perfection -- so I know it’s possible.  Of course, this was a completely different menu and a higher cost, but it’s something I would absolutely book again and again.

Lana

990B70F1-F74D-4608-A17E-1C683A5CDF47.jpeg

7D4B5675-E28C-43C1-8BB9-DBC62B7E8FDB.jpeg

2 hours ago, ArtsyCraftsy said:

The salmon was slimy and tasted more like salmon beyond its prime.  

And looks it!  As a native of the PNW, I'm a purist when it comes to my salmon.  This wouldn't appeal to me at all.  Thankfully there are other items on the menu to choose from.  🙂  

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

And looks it!  As a native of the PNW, I'm a purist when it comes to my salmon.  This wouldn't appeal to me at all.  Thankfully there are other items on the menu to choose from.  🙂  

I agree the salmon looks pretty bad.   I'm less concerned with appetizers than the rest of the meal.  I want to save room for the steak!  I will miss the brussels sprouts.   The creamed spinach is not worth having and I get tired of asparagus.  

Just now, dfish said:

I agree the salmon looks pretty bad.   I'm less concerned with appetizers than the rest of the meal.  I want to save room for the steak!  I will miss the brussels sprouts.   The creamed spinach is not worth having and I get tired of asparagus.  

Agree about the creamed spinach!  But they've added beets!  😁

2 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Agree about the creamed spinach!  But they've added beets!  😁

Yeah, but the beets are high in oxalates and I am prone to kidney stones.  Not the best choice for me.  Although, I do love them.  I used to put beets on my spinach salads.  Two of the four highest foods in oxalates.  Oh, my!

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

Yeah, but the beets are high in oxalates and I am prone to kidney stones.  Not the best choice for me.  Although, I do love them.  I used to put beets on my spinach salads.  Two of the four highest foods in oxalates.  Oh, my!

We need a "sad emoticon"!!  

• Like 1

Just off the Nieuw Amsterdam and they did add one really good appetizer in the Tuna Tataki. Our main course steaks and seafood on three nights were extremely disappointing. Tamarind was excellent on all three nights which salvaged the dinner portion of our cruise. In hindsight, we should have dined at Tamarind all 7 nights.

18 hours ago, cobalt206 said:

Our main course steaks and seafood on three nights were extremely disappointing. 

As a citizen of the state of Washington, I hope this comment will not be offensive to you.  

As long as HAL continues to use a Washington State company, Double R Ranch, to supply their Pinnacle Grill beef, I won't be ordering any beef entrees in the PG.  I have ordered too many steaks in past PG experiences and usually leave the restaurant disappointed in my choice of entree.

1 minute ago, frankc98376 said:

Double R is good enough for Williams Sonoma and many great restaurants (including Smith and Wollensky restaurants.

https://www.smithandwollensky.com/smith-wollensky-restaurant-group-collaborates-with-esteemed-double-r-ranch/

Perhaps the customers of these restaurants have taste buds that are different than mine.

For dinner last night, I had a Chopped Sirloin Steak from a local grocer known for their quality beef.  That chopped sirloin steak had more "beefy" flavor than did my bone-in rib eye steak on Nieus Statendam in her PG.  The lack of "beefy" flavor in Double R Ranch steaks is my complaint.  Tenderness, the amount of marbling, other desirable characteristics for a beef entree:  yes, PG's steaks usually have such.  Flavor?  PG steaks served to me are lacking in that desirable characteristic.