Vacation Protection Plan

What exactly does the travel insurance cover when you get it from Royal Caribbean? In light of the Oasis sailings being canceled we're just trying to be prepared just in case ours comes on the chopping block later this month when they're completing the repairs. Would the insurance cover the airfare that was not bought through Air2Sea?

6 minutes ago, CarnivalCruiser32 said:

What exactly does the travel insurance cover when you get it from Royal Caribbean? In light of the Oasis sailings being canceled we're just trying to be prepared just in case ours comes on the chopping block later this month when they're completing the repairs. Would the insurance cover the airfare that was not bought through Air2Sea?

Royal's insurance does not cover third party airfare.

• Thanks 1

We always procure a policy from www.insuremytrip.com but there are other insurance sites out there. Third party insurance normally provides more robust coverage for less and it's easy to include all of your non-reimbursable expenses in your coverage.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, sparks1093 said:

We always procure a policy from www.insuremytrip.com but there are other insurance sites out there. Third party insurance normally provides more robust coverage for less and it's easy to include all of your non-reimbursable expenses in your coverage.

I agree in general.

However, one should shop around, especially if you are older.   The 3rd party insurance is underwritten and gets very expensive as you get much older.

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

I agree in general.

However, one should shop around, especially if you are older.   The 3rd party insurance is underwritten and gets very expensive as you get much older.

Agree.  I've hit "that age" where it's cheaper to use Royal Caribbean's insurance.   And for us, it's sufficient in the Caribbean, where we drive to the cruise and have little or no non-refundable pre-cruise costs.  Only risk is the car breaks down and we miss the cruise.  A third party policy will cover that.  But it's minimal so not worth the worry.

On cruises where we are going overseas, I usually use third party.  Better medical (we're on Medicare), better medical evacuation, and you can roll the entire cost of plane fare, hotels, etc. into the insurance.  

One big advantage of Royal's insurance is that you don't pay for it until final payment, and you get 75% "cancel for any reason" coverage.  Third party you pay when you purchase it, and to get 75% "cancel for any reason," you need to purchase it within a short time of original booking, usually 14 days.  

Edited by papaflamingo

16 minutes ago, SRF said:

I agree in general.

Very true, we may be getting to "that age" ourselves pretty soon. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Very true, we may be getting to "that age" ourselves pretty soon. 

Look at hitting "that age" as a positive.  First, the alternative is definitely not good.  

Second, think of all that extra time you'll have for cruising!  😎

Edited by papaflamingo
  • Like 1

Another thing is, you can also do  $0 cruise cost coverage through 3rd party.  This covers the medical, evac, and things other the missing the cruise.  Which can be acceptable for some people.

I figure, I have already paid for the cruise, so if I miss it, I am out the vacation, but have not been put in a financial bind.  Where unexpected medical or evac costs could do so.

I just purchased insurance for my next cruise, for $32.

54 minutes ago, SRF said:

Another thing is, you can also do  $0 cruise cost coverage through 3rd party.  This covers the medical, evac, and things other the missing the cruise.  Which can be acceptable for some people.

I figure, I have already paid for the cruise, so if I miss it, I am out the vacation, but have not been put in a financial bind.  Where unexpected medical or evac costs could do so.

I just purchased insurance for my next cruise, for $32.

Yes, it's not a financial bind to lose that money but it's nice to be able to recoup it for another vacation, especially if including that amount doesn't result in a large increase in premium. Your $32 result is a great deal for you but it's not typical of what others can get.