Bernard's In St Maarten....Can Anybody Recommend?

I used Bernard's the last time I was in St. Maarten in 2016.  They are very accommodating even if you screw up.  I had a wonderful tour with them even though I missed my original time.  It actually worked out better because I was told that the group we were supposed to go with were somewhat difficult.

• Like 2

We used them twice and they were excellent. If you can, ask to be with Mr MAILMAN. He is very accomodating and excellent. Free drinks are available and they stop on the french and dutch sides. You will have a pleasant day in St Maarten !

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, islandwannabee said:

2nd the request, ask for the post man ask your guided. You will not be disappointed!

It’s actually Mailman.  He gets quite upset if he is called anything else.

• Like 3

I’ve also used Bernard’s and taken the tour with Mailman.  Very good minibus tour.  Bus is air conditioned, and cold water, soda, beer, and rum punch were provided.  Also spent about an hour and a half at Orient Beach when we went, and received a coupon for a free drink at the beach bar, and IIRC, free umbrella/beach chairs, or at least were discounted.  Had some free time in Marigot, and spent some time at Maho Beach.  Mailman is very knowledgeable and very proud of his West Indie heritage.  Highly recommend, though, at least when we went, it was rather unclear as to where you actually met the Bernard’s group.

• Like 1

We too had the Mailman on our first trip! We had a grand time, my dad (Grandpa!) loved the rum punch to my mom's displeasure 🙂 This was prehurricane a few years ago. This year we are using them as transportation to Orient Beach. Cost is just a tad higher than a taxi, but we know we will get great rum punch, soda, beer and water as well as an entertaining ride. 

• Like 1

I absolutely recommend Bernard.  We use him every single time we are on St. Martin and we have stopped here a lot cruising over the years.  Mailman is excellent and the value for your money is cheaper than renting a car (and worrying about traffic, which is a lot, trying to find your way around and getting back to the ship on time) or getting a taxi.  We always do the Tour #2 or a private tour.  We've been to many beaches here.  The tour gives you two beach stops, Orient or Grand Case and a stop at Maho beach to watch the big planes land over your head.  You also stop at an iguana farm and Marigot for pastries.  And did I mention their famous rum punch?  You can't beat the price.  It's rated #1 on trip advisor.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Why on earth would anyone do an island tour more than once?

And St.Maarten?   There really isn't that much to see...

Why are you worried about someone else’s vacation choices?  Maybe they enjoyed the tour so much, they wanted to do it again?  Why would someone go to the same restaurant more than once?  I happen to enjoy St Maarten.  St Thomas?  Not so much....

Edited by A2Mich
  • Like 1

Our group of eight did a private tour with them last June and we loved it!  Since it was just us, we got to customize it and skipped Maho, but stopped by Orient (the young 20s were curious about clothing optional even though there really was nothing there at the time).

I highly recommend them and would take a tour with them again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I agree. Been to St Maarten and did the tour with Bernard's which I would highly recommend. I'm trying to figure out what to do this trip since we saw it all a few years ago before the hurricane.

7 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Thank you for your interest in my vacation plans...

We enjoy going to Orient (two hrs of beach time is enough for us) and we love Maho, so we can do this for a reasonable fee and are guaranteed to be back to the ship well ahead of time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. Been to St Maarten and did the tour with Bernard's which I would highly recommend. I'm trying to figure out what to do this trip since we saw it all a few years ago before the hurricane.

Have you done the America’s Cup Regatta race?  I did that back in 2002, and while it was a lot of work (assuming you’re probably in good physical condition), but was a wonderful experience.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

Thank you for your interest in my vacation plans...

We enjoy going to Orient (two hrs of beach time is enough for us) and we love Maho, so we can do this for a reasonable fee and are guaranteed to be back to the ship well ahead of time.

Have you considered doing a private Jeep/4x4 tour, whereby you can customize it more to what you want to do and not make all of the other stops?  We are considering this for next May. Does your trip have to go to Orient?  I know there is a nice and quiet beach just down the way from Maho (Mullet Bay?) that would keep you on the Dutch side and possibly give you more time to shop, visit a local restaurant, etc?  We aren’t sure what we’re going to do this time around. 

Edited by A2Mich
Corrected beach name