How much/where to

Morning all. Sailing on the gem 4/12-19. I will be taking a solo tour 4hrs($50 an hr) with quintin bean. How much should I tip him? Also, any thoughts on. Where to go or must see places? Been to caves, swizzke inn and horseshoe. Thank you kindly for your replies!

While you are at it...take some baggies with you for sand color samples at the different beaches.  Then when you are home layer them carefully in a glass container and keep displayed in a non sunny place.  The ranges of pink are wonderful !

11 minutes ago, myjillian said:

While you are at it...take some baggies with you for sand color samples at the different beaches.  Then when you are home layer them carefully in a glass container and keep displayed in a non sunny place.  The ranges of pink are wonderful !

Actually my understanding that it is illegal to remove sand from the beaches in Bermuda, however some gift shops have small sample bottles.    I guess they want to preserve the natural beauty of those areas.

8 minutes ago, myjillian said:

Hi

Just to remind everyone...in Bermuda, as well as many other locations, this is illegal. Unless you are willing to try the stupid tourist defense in court as part of your vacation, I would leave the sand and pebbles where they are. In recent years many countries have become much less tolerant due to damage done by ignorant visitors. If you do want some similar souvenirs, they are usually sold in stores and you might end up with some in your sandals. This would be the case in the U.S. as well.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 9:16 AM, beautifullady said:

Morning all. Sailing on the gem 4/12-19. I will be taking a solo tour 4hrs($50 an hr) with quintin bean. How much should I tip him? Also, any thoughts on. Where to go or must see places? Been to caves, swizzke inn and horseshoe. Thank you kindly for your replies!

About the "where", ask your guide in advance (or once with him).

We always try to customize private tours, and have found the guides to be VERY helpful in making suggestions.  After all, they want to please, etc.

GC

1 hour ago, myjillian said:

This is illegal. If security detects it, you will have to go back out and leave the sand on the island. 

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

This is illegal. If security detects it, you will have to go back out and leave the sand on the island. 

If it's illegal why do they hand out little cardboard packages of the different sand colors  at the information  places and tell you which beaches to go to for the different colors of pink and tell you how to take care of the sand at home to make sure it's not in direct sunlight or else the pink will fade out.....huh???   how come the tourist agency will hand out little bags to use to collect the sand and tell you to get it wet because if it's on the beach too long without the tide hitting it the sand bleaches  it out and it's no longer pink...and did you know that the "sand" comes from regurgated (sp) coral that the fish eat.....huh???? Every time we went to Bermuda I guess we had dumb untrained security personal just letting us through,,,and one time all we had were bags of sand...not hidden ...just little baggies of colored sand...put down on the conveyor belt....I guess we just got lucky...doing this illegal activity......