Change of allocated room

Hi

Just over a year ago I booked to sail on MSC Seaview from Barcelona on 1 June 2019 with wife and 4 year old daughter. 

I booked a balcony room with Fantastica experience, and booked room 13042.

However, today I have logged onto MSC website to check in (which I think can be done within 60 days of the cruise), and discovered that my room number has changed.

It now says I have been allocated room 13015, which is at the other end of the ship and not where unwanted to be. However, the new room is also an Aurea room.

I will be calling my travel agent (Iglu)tomorrow to find out what has gone on, and will no doubt have to contact MSC too.

Is it common to be allocated another room that the original booking? And would I qualify for the benefits that come with an Aurea room (spa treatment, Easy Drinks package etc) that I currently don't have with my original booking?

If I've been upgraded with better perks then I'm happy to have a room in a slightly worse part of the ship, but if not I'll not be very happy.

Thanks.

• Like 1

MSC often upgrade without notification.

It's in the T&Cs that they can change the cabin originally allocated.  Here's what it states on the booking confirmation:

Cabin number: Final cabin numbers may change till departure date. MSC Cruises will guarantee same or higher type of cabin category.

2002238027_ScreenShot2019-04-05at22_12_23.png.c6ef29a38c4bc4c3a269f8831488efb2.png

You don't get the perks (other than MyChoice dining) - only the cabin upgrade.  Fantastica will be indicated on your cruisecard.

Edited by Beamafar

Did you mistype your original cabin number as 13042 is already Aurea and fairly close to 13015.  I take it that you booked elsewhere and were allocated forward so I understand your concern as when I book a specific cabin I do not want to be moved.  If I booked a guarantee I could understand.  I'll wager it has to do with the reallocation of cabin types starting Summer of 2019.  If it is that big of a deal I bet you can call and get changed back to a Fantastica cabin of your choice.

Edited by Até

MSC is quite often upgrading cabins so they can sell fast selling categories again.  I have had quite a few inside to balcony upgrades (and of course always been happy, but i can see your upgrade may be less valuable).   

Is it possibly to do with the fact that 13042 is a cabin for 4 people and the cabin you have been moved to is for 3 people and there are only 3 of you ? 

I have been warned each time I have booked (both direct with MSC and through an agent) that if I have chosen a cabin that is for more people than I am booking for then if the cabin is required for a family there is a possibility the cabin will be changed.

According to the deck plans 13042 and 13015 are both forward cabins (not the other end of the ship from each other) and both are the same category.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. I gave the wrong 'original' cabin number in my post - I was actually allocated 13240 (not 13042).

I have spoken with my travel agent today, explained the situation and they called MSC whilst I was in hold.

After 15 minutes my travel agent said that MSC confirmed that I have been moved to canis 13015, AND I have been given the Aurea perks.

I have been email confirmation of this from the travel agent, and have asked to have a new booking confirmation from MSC sent through too.

We'll see what happens.....

11 minutes ago, Never too young to cruise said:

Thanks for the replies. I gave the wrong 'original' cabin number in my post - I was actually allocated 13240 (not 13042).

I have spoken with my travel agent today, explained the situation and they called MSC whilst I was in hold.

After 15 minutes my travel agent said that MSC confirmed that I have been moved to canis 13015, AND I have been given the Aurea perks.

I have been email confirmation of this from the travel agent, and have asked to have a new booking confirmation from MSC sent through too.

We'll see what happens.....

That is a true upgrade, well done and enjoy the perks!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 4:19 PM, Never too young to cruise said:

I've read a couple of other threads where upgraded rooms have led to upgraded experiences too, so fingers crossed it applies to me too.

And the plot thickens.....

After receiving email confirmation from the travel agent (Iglu) that I would be receiving the Aurea perks with the newly allocated Aurea room, I was concerned that the MSC website still showed I was on a Fantastica experience.

I called Iglu - they called MSC again and said I had been misinformed previously and I would NOT be getting the Aurea perks, but it was ok as I had been given an upgraded cabin.

Now, i do not agree at all I have been given an upgraded cabin - it's exactly the same as a Fantastica cabin isn't it? Same size, same layout etc. In fact, it's worse because it's closer to the front extreme of the ship, and only 2 doors up from the Bella rooms (so it can hardly be described as a better part of the ship in my view).

Iglu say they have contacted MSC head office to see if I can be moved back to my original room, which I would be happy with, or something can be 'thrown in' to sweeten the pill.

We'll see what I get back.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2019 at 11:40 AM, Never too young to cruise said:

And the plot thickens.....

After receiving email confirmation from the travel agent (Iglu) that I would be receiving the Aurea perks with the newly allocated Aurea room, I was concerned that the MSC website still showed I was on a Fantastica experience.

I called Iglu - they called MSC again and said I had been misinformed previously and I would NOT be getting the Aurea perks, but it was ok as I had been given an upgraded cabin.

Now, i do not agree at all I have been given an upgraded cabin - it's exactly the same as a Fantastica cabin isn't it? Same size, same layout etc. In fact, it's worse because it's closer to the front extreme of the ship, and only 2 doors up from the Bella rooms (so it can hardly be described as a better part of the ship in my view).

Iglu say they have contacted MSC head office to see if I can be moved back to my original room, which I would be happy with, or something can be 'thrown in' to sweeten the pill.

We'll see what I get back.

Not sure if you've sailed yet or not.  I got off of Bellissima a few weeks ago and was upgraded to an Aurea balcony but did not get any Aurea perks.  The card said "Fantastica Experience" and that's precisely what I received.

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

Stockjock ... Did you get the my time dining?  

I don't believe so.  We didn't request it though.  But otherwise, no extra perks.

I asked our cabin steward if I could get a bathrobe.  He said no because we had Fantastica Experience only.  He said he would like to give me one, but that he would get into trouble.

Later, he came by with 2 bathrobes and slippers and said that his supervisor had approved our request.

In my opinion, you would not have received the extra perks. Had you been moved to yacht club, you probably would’ve got at least some of them. So it really boils down to whether you like the room or not. The only thing we got that even might’ve been any different was a scented diffuser in the room, which was not a big deal, but the upgrade of the room was much better than what we would have originally received.