Question for Bonnie on Venice cruise terminal, Oct 10,19 Journey

Tom47

Bonnie I want to pick a hotel convenient to the cruise terminal for the journey.  There are evidently 2 terminals-- Marittima, and San Basilio.

San Basillio is usually used by smaller ships.  Can you advise me which one the Journey will use?

Many Thanks

Tom

Edited by Tom47

2 minutes ago, Lottie A said:

Tom, in a recent thread about the Venice cruise terminals Bonnie advised us that San Basilio was to be used by Azamara for the whole of 2019. It's a much better option. 

Thanks Lottie.  The CC community is a great resource!!

Edited by Tom47
  • Like 1

San Basilio is great. It’s very close to a Vaporretto stop. However make sure you have tickets as the stop doesn’t have a machine that sells them. There’s a little shop under the bridge there that sells them, but it isn’t open first thing in the morning. We ended up walking from there to the Rialto bridge - it’s a good walk. 

15 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Bonnie I want to pick a hotel convenient to the cruise terminal for the journey.  There are evidently 2 terminals-- Marittima, and San Basilio.

San Basillio is usually used by smaller ships.  Can you advise me which one the Journey will use?

Many Thanks

Tom

If your looking for a hotel near San Basilio try the Palazzo Veneziano it’s an excellent hotel only about 100mts from the cruise terminal, access from the airport is also easy as you can get a taxi from the airport to the San Basilio Cruise Terminal and walk to the hotel. 

We had a very enjoyable stay there last year before boarding Quest.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

San Basilio is great. It’s very close to a Vaporretto stop.

A related tip - while the San Basilio cruise terminal is close to the S.Basilio vaporetto stop, the boat line that runs to/from the airport doesn't stop there. The airport water boats are run by a different company (Alilaguna). They have four different routes that meander around/through the Venice islands to the airport, but none of them appear to stop at S.Baslilio. If you are disembarking at San Basilio and want to take Alilaguna to the airport (or vice versa), you'll have to get to Zattere, the nearest stop (about 700m east).  Or to the main cruise terminal, which is a longer walk.

The Alilaguna fare to/from the airport is €15 one-way.  Much less expensive than booking a water taxi, but not as convenient.

(Info from https://www.alilaguna.it/en/  and subject to change.)

mappa_linee_alilaguna_tutte_le_linee_0.pdf

I booked a regular taxi (minibus) for 3 with luggage for under 40 euros for our cruise ending in Venice in early June. Much more convenient than the Alligunia which we have taken before whilst staying near the Rialto..  Also quicker.

Mrs Miggins,

Was the €40 per person, or for the three of you?   If the latter, I need to keep shopping. We're also arriving at San Basilio terminal in early June. Could you share the link to the minibus/boat service you've booked?  Thanks.

1 hour ago, screen-gem said:

Mrs Miggins,

Was the €40 per person, or for the three of you?   If the latter, I need to keep shopping. We're also arriving at San Basilio terminal in early June. Could you share the link to the minibus/boat service you've booked?  Thanks.

I don’t know which one Mrs Miggins uses but we’ve used this company very successfully in the past https://airportstaxitransfers.com usually the cost for 2 of us is €38.

Edited by Riocca

26 minutes ago, Riocca said:

I don’t know which one Mrs Miggins uses but we’ve used this company very successfully in the past https://airportstaxitransfers.com usually the cost for 2 of us is €38.

Riocca,

Thanks for the reply.

The €38 from Airport Taxi Transfers is for a 'real' taxi (i.e., a car with 4 wheels) from the main cruise terminal to the airport. As far as I know, cars can't get to the secondary San Basilio cruise terminal. From what I've read, one needs to take a water taxi (private or shared), or the Alilaguna boat service.    Mrs Miggins seemed to imply that her under €40 fee for transfer to the airport was for water transit, since she mentioned San Basilio in post #4, and knew that Tom47 would be using that terminal. However, I may have misunderstood.

21 minutes ago, screen-gem said:

Riocca,

Thanks for the reply.

The €38 from Airport Taxi Transfers is for a 'real' taxi (i.e., a car with 4 wheels) from the main cruise terminal to the airport. As far as I know, cars can't get to the secondary San Basilio cruise terminal. From what I've read, one needs to take a water taxi (private or shared), or the Alilaguna boat service.    Mrs Miggins seemed to imply that her under €40 fee for transfer to the airport was for water transit, since she mentioned San Basilio in post #4, and knew that Tom47 would be using that terminal. However, I may have misunderstood.

No there’s a car park behind the San Basilio Cruise Terminal, all you have to do is walk past the terminal building and go over a bridge and you are into Venice the Palazzo Veneziano is a few minutes walk away. We have done this trip many times in the past few years in both directions. All you have to do is put a note on the car booking that it’s the San Basilio Cruise Terminal.

This is the same car park Azamara use for their bus transfers to the airport.

Edited by Riocca

10 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes you can get by car to and from San Basilio. LastJuly we were taken by bus from the San Basilio cruise terminal to the airport, and there were taxis in the car park there waiting to pick people up.

HGC and Riocca,

Thank you!! I clearly mis-read something in one of the many Venice guides I've looked at.

A close-up satellite view of the San Basilio cruise terminal reveals the car park, and the road that winds its way on-shore.    CC is such a great source of information.

San Basilio cruise terminal.png

Edited by screen-gem
add sat shot.

Hi Screen Gem, we are on the same cruise on Pursuit ending in Venice.  Don't have the taxi (definately one with wheels) company details with me but will post later in the week.  It's amazing how much information is available online and I also saw your aerial photo before booking.   I also looked at the  'street view'  just to make sure.  

Sometimes "street view" it is invaluable for both planning and also to jog my memory of the lovely places we have already seen. Looking forward to a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2019 at 8:11 AM, Riocca said:

If your looking for a hotel near San Basilio try the Palazzo Veneziano it’s an excellent hotel only about 100mts from the cruise terminal, access from the airport is also easy as you can get a taxi from the airport to the San Basilio Cruise Terminal and walk to the hotel. 

We had a very enjoyable stay there last year before boarding Quest.

Thanks for the recommendation.  We would have 4 suitcases(1 carry on+1 checked pp).  How long a walk are we talking about.  i want to get a taxi right to the hotel if possible. 

5 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Thanks for the recommendation.  We would have 4 suitcases(1 carry on+1 checked pp).  How long a walk are we talking about.  i want to get a taxi right to the hotel if possible. 

Here’s a picture from Google Earth of the location:

1E80F313-5E4A-4ED7-B1B2-E4E3045CC822.thumb.png.dc53ea623cb7da2602674748c22b9891.png

The long red tiled building on the left is the cruise terminal and you can see the taxi drop off are to the left of that. There’s a wooden bridge and Venice’s cobbles to negotiate but we managed with 3 checked bags last year no problem. In Venice the only way to get a taxi directly to a hotel is by using a water taxi.

Just a little warning, when we were there last July it was quite a good walk from where the ship was docked to the terminal building (but of course you’d be able to leave your luggage in the terminal building). There was a small minibus to take people with poor mobility between the ship & the terminal building.

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

8 hours ago, Riocca said:

Here’s a picture from Google Earth of the location:

1E80F313-5E4A-4ED7-B1B2-E4E3045CC822.thumb.png.dc53ea623cb7da2602674748c22b9891.png

The long red tiled building on the left is the cruise terminal and you can see the taxi drop off are to the left of that. There’s a wooden bridge and Venice’s cobbles to negotiate but we managed with 3 checked bags last year no problem. In Venice the only way to get a taxi directly to a hotel is by using a water taxi.

Thanks

On 4/20/2019 at 7:52 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Just a little warning, when we were there last July it was quite a good walk from where the ship was docked to the terminal building (but of course you’d be able to leave your luggage in the terminal building). There was a small minibus to take people with poor mobility between the ship & the terminal building.

Thanks

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising