Tips for tender ports

Greg901

This will be our first cruise in June on the Conquest. We have a private tour with King Dave in Belize and want to be on one of the first tenders so we kind be on time for the tour. We have 14 people so FTTF is not an option for all of us. I am looking for any tips about;

1. tenders in general 

2. how to be on one of the first

3. are we going to get all 14 on one tender

Thanks in advance I learn so far from CC 

Greg

You'll want to find out what time and where to be to request Tender tickets.  We were just in Belize last month, but didn't book any tours this time.  I'm not a fan of the tender boats in Belize because it's a good 20 minute ride.  Keep in mind that folks who are Platinum, Diamond or have FTTF will have priority over you.  If you had booked your tour through Carnival, that would have given you priority.  On our cruise, I believe the first tenders started around 8 am.  It was probably around 10:30 when they announced that tender tickets were no longer required.

Go to either guest services or the tour desk on your first sea day to find out what you need to do.  They should be able to tell you what is the earliest time you can pick up tender tickets, where to go and if you all need to request your own tickets, or if you need their S&S cards or what.  Don't wait until your ship is anchored in Belize to find out.  Most likely one of the lounges will be where you go to pick them up.  You might also want to be sure your tour will wait for you if you aren't the first one off the ship.

Diamonds, Platinums, FTTF people and those on Carnival excursions have first priority.  After these people are on tenders, then the general population will go.  You will need to assemble your group of 14 early and make every effort to be on the first or second tender after the priority people.  Make sure you stick together and light a fire under any procrastinators in your group.  Make sure you all know exactly where you're meeting your independent tour contact in case all 14 don't make the same tender.  Good luck

49 minutes ago, PlanoDebbie said:

You'll want to find out what time and where to be to request Tender tickets.  We were just in Belize last month, but didn't book any tours this time.  I'm not a fan of the tender boats in Belize because it's a good 20 minute ride.  Keep in mind that folks who are Platinum, Diamond or have FTTF will have priority over you.  If you had booked your tour through Carnival, that would have given you priority.  On our cruise, I believe the first tenders started around 8 am.  It was probably around 10:30 when they announced that tender tickets were no longer required.

Go to either guest services or the tour desk on your first sea day to find out what you need to do.  They should be able to tell you what is the earliest time you can pick up tender tickets, where to go and if you all need to request your own tickets, or if you need their S&S cards or what.  Don't wait until your ship is anchored in Belize to find out.  Most likely one of the lounges will be where you go to pick them up.  You might also want to be sure your tour will wait for you if you aren't the first one off the ship.

Follow Debs advice for the win! Spot on and correct. 

We were in the theater at 745 in Belize, carnival organized tour.  We got off the tender at about 9am. I would say they opened up to all other passengers at about 930am-those that didn’t book through carmival. 

We sat in the theater about 1 hour before our tour name was called.  The tender itself took about 30 minutes once it was full.  

I agree, you should make sure everyone is together and ready to go as soon as all others are out of the way.  I saw many disconnected groups in the theater, people going back to the cabins, forgot this or that, oh, what tour are we on, etc...  Planning and organization is key when dealing with tenders.  If I had a group, I would plan to meet at a certain time in a certain place and all go down together to get to the tenders.  

I've only taken two tenders so far. One on the Sensation to Half Moon Cay and one on the Dream to Grand Cayman. Half Moon was our first one, so we weren't familiar with the process. We were one of the first people there as there was little line when the tender first started. For Grand Cayman, I don't believe we went on the first shuttle, but did go pretty early. I don't know if we just got lucky. Based off of these two experiences, I found the priority accesses to be more of a sales tool than a necessity.

52 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I've only taken two tenders so far. One on the Sensation to Half Moon Cay and one on the Dream to Grand Cayman. Half Moon was our first one, so we weren't familiar with the process. We were one of the first people there as there was little line when the tender first started. For Grand Cayman, I don't believe we went on the first shuttle, but did go pretty early. I don't know if we just got lucky. Based off of these two experiences, I found the priority accesses to be more of a sales tool than a necessity.

Belize is a little different because the ship is quite far from land (about 5 miles) and there are many excursions that leave from the ship directly, taking up one of the regular tender hook up spots. 

8 hours ago, Quilcruisers said:

We were in the theater at 745 in Belize, carnival organized tour.  We got off the tender at about 9am. I would say they opened up to all other passengers at about 930am-those that didn’t book through carmivatenders to l. 

We sat in the theater about 1 hour before our tour name was called.  The tender itself took about 30 minutes once it was full.  

I agree, you should make sure everyone is together and ready to go as soon as all others are out of the way.  I saw many disconnected groups in the theater, people going back to the cabins, forgot this or that, oh, what tour are we on, etc...  Planning and organization is key when dealing with tenders.  If I had a group, I would plan to meet at a certain time in a certain place and all go down together to get to the tenders.  

It is about two hours before they open tenders to general guests after they start running.  It can be longer if there are other ships in port.  

While not "official" policy, if you tell the folks dispensing tender tickets that you have a private tour meeting at a specific time, they will find you earlier tender tickets. You may still have to wait for the P/E/FTTF group, but it does move you up the general list. I have done this a couple of times in Belize because the tender ride is so long. 

35 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

If it is a private charter for you, why won't they wait?

I don't have the discretionary funds to book a private charter and obviously they would wait for your group.  But since the majority of  independent shore excursions are shared, there is no guarantee they would wait.  This happened to me many years ago in Grand Cayman.  Because of my Platinum status I was on the first tender but because we were about 45 minutes late arriving into the port, we were tardy getting to Captain Marvin for his Stingray City tour and we got shifted to a later morning tour.

15 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

While not "official" policy, if you tell the folks dispensing tender tickets that you have a private tour meeting at a specific time, they will find you earlier tender tickets. You may still have to wait for the P/E/FTTF group, but it does move you up the general list. I have done this a couple of times in Belize because the tender ride is so long. 

You should be doing it because you have a independent tour to go on, not because it's a long tender ride.

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

I don't have the discretionary funds to book a private charter and obviously they would wait for your group.  But since the majority of  independent shore excursions are shared, there is no guarantee they would wait.  This happened to me many years ago in Grand Cayman.  Because of my Platinum status I was on the first tender but because we were about 45 minutes late arriving into the port, we were tardy getting to Captain Marvin for his Stingray City tour and we got shifted to a later morning tour.

The OP asked about a private tour not a shared tour.  

3 hours ago, teknoge3k said:

David is great. He will wait on you. Obviously he isn't going to start your private tour, without you. He has enough customers to realize that tenders take time. 

Thanks   glad you said he was great  I read good reviews. I know he will wait  just trying to beat the crowds  to Altun ha.  I will definitely let them know we have a private tour meeting  early  hopefully that will help.

One more question how many people are on one tender?

2 minutes ago, Greg901 said:

Thanks   glad you said he was great  I read good reviews. I know he will wait  just trying to beat the crowds  to Altun ha.  I will definitely let them know we have a private tour meeting  early  hopefully that will help.

One more question how many people are on one tender?

Yes, he is the #1 guide in Belize, for a reason. You'll love him and his staff.

I don't know the exact number the tender boats hold but if I had to guess, I'd say about 200 or so. 

Don't worry about crowds at Altun Ha. We went to the monkey sanctuary first and then Altun Ha. It was just 4 people in our group which was my family. When we got there, we went opposite of the other tours and nobody was ever around us at any given point. 

IMG_1163.jpg

7 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

You should be doing it because you have a independent tour to go on, not because it's a long tender ride.

I agree. If I gave a different impression, please excuse that. The long tender at Belize means you need to get on the first tender you can in order to make your tour.

2 minutes ago, panoramaofthepast said:

I agree. If I gave a different impression, please excuse that. The long tender at Belize means you need to get on the first tender you can in order to make your tour.

Appreciate you clearing up your meaning and being level headed while doing so.  Many posters get defensive at times and that's when things get side tracked and topics get closed.

• Like 1