Muiderslot Castle

We are considering visiting Muiderslot castle and are asking for input from those who have done it. Was it worth it to you?

We have 2 full days in Amsterdam, and the remainder of our arrival day (plane lands at AMS at 10:20a), plus embarkation morning. I see the ferry has 1 round trip a day around midday ( which would be nice but chews up most of the day) and the castle is only open noon to 5 (weekends).

Option 1: On arrival day, drop luggage at hotel (Monet Gardens) and go to the castle via train + bus. I’m guessing we could be there by 1:30? Then spend the afternoon and return to check in? Is that a reasonable timeline?

Option 2: Zaan Schans early via public transportation train on first full day (day 2) then train +bus to Muiderslot in the afternoon.... a full day..... is that a reasonable timeline?

I’m trying to keep 1 day (day 3) reserved for a guided bike tour to Waterland that starts at 10:00 and ends around 3:00p near Centraal Station.

I still need to work in Anne Frank House, Museum of Resistance, some time exploring and at least 1 canal tour.

We are currently booked on HAL airport transfer with stopover in Zaan Schans, and are anticipating wanting to spend more time there, hence working it in on one of our days....

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

First in case you want to visit Anne Frankhuis absolutely book tickets 2 months prior. 80% of tickets go on sale then. After that some more just from time to time. No more standing in line there.

We found Muiderslot very interesting but also because it is part of the dutch history. It is nicely situated not that far from IJsselmeer. I think we were there no more then 2 hours, maybe even less.

In Zaanse Schans you might need again 2- 3 hours depending how many windmills you want to visit. My friends love to see the show how klompen (clogs) were made. If going by train make another short stop in Zaandam, to see the amzing Inntel hotel next to the trainstation.

Another interesting point might be the island of Pampus in IJsselmeer. https://www.pampus.nl/en/

You can check public transport possibilities here for Muiderslot as well as Zaanse Schans :  https://9292.nl/en

5 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

( Most of that app is in Dutch, and I’m struggling. I’m only on my second week of Babel lessons.)

Dutch is really tough. I usually try to come up with a few phrases, but with Dutch I pretty much gave up after Good Morning, Good Day, and Good Evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Dutch is really tough. I usually try to come up with a few phrases, but with Dutch I pretty much gave up after Good Morning, Good Day, and Good Evening.

I’m hoping for a few polite words, emergency phrases and phonetic pronunciation. I don’t want to butcher the place names too badly.😉

39 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I’m hoping for a few polite words, emergency phrases and phonetic pronunciation. I don’t want to butcher the place names too badly.😉

It's tough. I can do the guttural kh sound (the letter g), so I sounded good, but really anything else was beyond me. Good luck!

We did all of what you are asking about.  Spent 4 days in Amsterdam.  As you are planning, we took the bus from the Central Station to Zaanse Schans and absolutely loved it.  We did 3 windmills, the Lumbermill is by far the most interesting.  We went in and were the only two in there so the guide gave us a private tour and showed how the saws work, etc.  Very interesting.  Also the wooden shoe shop, cheese shop, did a canal cruise, and went into the museum.  We were there around 5 hours.  

We also did Muiderslot.  The castle is beautiful and the town is very quaint.  Ate dinner at one of the restaurants and had a great dinner sitting on the canal watching the boats.  You were so close you could talk to the boaters in the locks.  We took the train to Amstel then on the bus to Muiden.  

As for learning any Dutch, not to worry.  I think everyone in the Netherlands must speak English.  We never met anyone who didn't speak it fluently.  

Anyway, to answer your question, yes it was worth it to us.  But we had 4 days.