Discounts not available to early bookers?

macdlc52

I just noted in a Viking brochure that the particular Danube Waltz river cruise that I had booked now offered free airfare. While I had gotten a decent airfare when I originally booked, it certain wasn't free.    When I called to see what accommodation might be made, I was told that there was no accommodation to be made - it was to entice current bookers, not early bookers.  I asked whether I could cancel and re-book, and was told that I could but I would have to pay a cancellation fee, and the re-fund from the original cruise booking would not be available for three weeks - and this is despite the fact that the overall booking would be cheaper, for a slightly better room.  I decided against that option, because I didn't want to run up my credit card, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.   On other ocean cruise lines, a price decreases always seems to be made available to early bookers, at least if they ask.  Comments?

• 1 month later...

When we booked our Avalon cruise (Feb 2017 for May 2018), I booked early because I wanted a certain cabin.  They had a sale on in September 2017 and I asked my TA if we could get the $$.  Since we hadn't paid other than the deposit,  I was able to make a payment and received an invoice from Avalon showing the extra $$ off.  We couldn't get the free flights they offered later (they did end up beating the prices we could get for our flights so ended up with the booking anyway), as that was a specific promotion, but we did get the extra money off.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:58 AM, macdlc52 said:

I just noted in a Viking brochure that the particular Danube Waltz river cruise that I had booked now offered free airfare. While I had gotten a decent airfare when I originally booked, it certain wasn't free.    When I called to see what accommodation might be made, I was told that there was no accommodation to be made - it was to entice current bookers, not early bookers.  I asked whether I could cancel and re-book, and was told that I could but I would have to pay a cancellation fee, and the re-fund from the original cruise booking would not be available for three weeks - and this is despite the fact that the overall booking would be cheaper, for a slightly better room.  I decided against that option, because I didn't want to run up my credit card, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this experience.   On other ocean cruise lines, a price decreases always seems to be made available to early bookers, at least if they ask.  Comments?

Just because other cruise lines do it does not mean that all cruise lines must also. Viking has chosen not to and since it is their sandbox, it is their rules.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, macdlc52 said:

Typically, any special (enticement) offers made close to a cruise date usually have the "new bookings only" disclaimer.  But, you can cancel (with penalties) and rebook under the new (lower cost) rate, if you wish.

It's not a given that already booked reservations can get a new booking offer just for the asking.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Typically, any special (enticement) offers made close to a cruise date usually have the "new bookings only" disclaimer.  But, you can cancel (with penalties) and rebook under the new (lower cost) rate, if you wish.

It's not a given that already booked reservations can get a new booking offer just for the asking.

This has been our experience as well. We usually book when we find a cruise that suits, the cabin that we want & a price that we find reasonable. After that we pretty much sit back and relax as there will always be those individuals that receive a better deal than us no matter what they purchase (cruise, airfare, automobile, etc.).

• Like 4