chairman of the board cocktail

boca7

Just off the Regal which wsas our 43rd Princess cruise.  Overt the last few years Princess has been eliminating many of our favorite venues, such as great drinks for happy hr for elite guests where we were able to order very good cocktails that went from 299 to $5 which was no problem then went to6.99 but changed the menu to a selection totally different & now using a  lot of their own brands which are not worth the purchase. We don`t bother even going to that event but to Crooners & always ordered our favorite Chairman at regular price & now after all these years even at regular priced they change the ingredients with their own brand of gin & give it a fancy  French name.  I give up, Princess does not want guests who appreciate a premium brand cocktail, & know when your adding your own cheap brand of liquor. Don`

I believe they are meant to be made with Bombay Gin, Grey Goose Vodka and Cointreau.  They are good. All booze!

A while ago they also changed from decent 20 year old port to cheap sweet tasteless Ruby.

And they started using generic melon liqueur instead of Midori in the Japanese Slipper.

And they think we don't notice?

We just had 49 days on Royal Princess, our 75th Princess cruise,  and did not order one drink.  Vote with  your wallet.

Edited by Griller

A Chairman of the Board "should" be made using the following recipe:

Chairman of the Board

3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
3 parts Bombay Sapphire Gin
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained I like mine with a twist. I think olives ruin this drink.

A drink made with inferior ingredients is an inferior drink. That's one reason I often drink straight liquor. I get what I ordered.

Edited by Thrak
  • Like 5

I saw the new bar menu on Facebook. Here's the "new" Chairman of the Board recipe:

Grey Goose Vodka

St. George Terroir gin

Cointreau

The Bitter Truth bitters

I'll be ordering the "classic" Chairman of the Board as described by Thrak... 

• Like 1

We’re onboard and can’t get a decent cocktail drink.  I feel like they’ve gone the same route as Celebrity, since introducing beverage packages.  Celebrity ‘s cocktails suffered greatly greatly except at  the martini bar. 

I feel like Princess’s Martini glasses have shrunk again. They are the same size as X’s small martinis.  

Edited by 4cats4me

9 hours ago, RickEk said:

I saw the new bar menu on Facebook. Here's the "new" Chairman of the Board recipe:

Grey Goose Vodka

St. George Terroir gin

Cointreau

The Bitter Truth bitters

I'll be ordering the "classic" Chairman of the Board as described by Thrak... 

This is disturbing news.  Boarding Regal this Sunday and sure hope they will still make the "classic" COB for me in Crooners!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

Chairman of the Board

3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
1 part Cointreau
Chilled over ice and strained I like mine with a twist. I think olives ruin this drink.

A drink made with inferior ingredients is an inferior drink. That's one reason I often drink straight liquor. I get what I ordered.

Yes, this is the Chairman we've had as a pre dinner drink on our Princess cruises.  (We don't drink mixed drinks with syrup, sugar, juice, cola, etc.)  I'll be sure to ask what the ingredients are now before I order a drink.  

• Like 1

I guess I will have to be very careful in the future (we cruise in May) to not get some weird counterfeit version of a classic drink. How say to think that someone - on a Princess ship - would be allowed to change the ingredients but still use the name. I know that various drinks have different "mixes" in different bars but I thought this was a Princess Cruises drink! (Was I mistaken in that assumption?)

Think a little research is in order.. Bombay Sapphire is an average tasting Gin running around $20 a 5th at Total Wine. 

St. George Terroir is one of the better tasting California Gin's and costs around $28 a 5th at Total Wine.

I suggest you do a taste test yourself... And no it is not a cheap Princess brand..

Go here for more info.. http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-terroir-gin/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LARGIN said:

Think a little research is in order.. Bombay Sapphire is an average tasting Gin running around $20 a 5th at Total Wine. 

St. George Terroir is one of the better tasting California Gin's and costs around $28 a 5th at Total Wine.

I suggest you do a taste test yourself... And no it is not a cheap Princess brand..

Go here for more info.. http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-terroir-gin/

Thanks for the information on the Gin.  I was also curious about the new recipe that has Bitters in the Chairman (post #4)  

On 4/11/2019 at 6:40 AM, CruisinMinnie said:

Thanks for the information on the Gin.  I was also curious about the new recipe that has Bitters in the Chairman (post #4)  

Agree. Good information regarding the Gin but don't want bitters in my Chairman of the Board. I don't think it would go well with the Cointreau.

A note on bitters: A few drops in a lemon lime soda renders a sort of ginger ale tasting drink. At least that's what my son tells me.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 10:47 PM, Thrak said:

Chairman of the Board

3 parts Grey Goose Vodka
1 part Cointreau

All you guys better listen to my friend Thrak. When it comes to making a good drink.

He is the Chairman of the Board. 🥃 

CF3C72C1-4A26-407F-A8CC-A2F4BD1B5DB7.jpeg

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

I would suggest to all Chairman of the Board cocktail drinkers that when ordering this drink you ask for the addition of 1 part of Blue Curacao. This when added to the original blend of ingredients will leave a real smile on your face- enjoy

My last cruise I went as usual to Crooners to get my COB.  When the waiter brought my drink he assured me that it was the original COB without the bitters.  It tasted like I always remembered.  I order Knob Creek on the rocks most of the time however as my go to drink.  Hard to mess it up.  I will be on the Star next month and will have to try Blue Curacao in my COB.  We don't go to the PES lounge in the evening that often anymore since they stopped selling the COB at the special price.  

9 hours ago, mogga 1 said:

I would suggest to all Chairman of the Board cocktail drinkers that when ordering this drink you ask for the addition of 1 part of Blue Curacao. This when added to the original blend of ingredients will leave a real smile on your face- enjoy

The Chairman of the Board already has Cointreau for orange flavoring. Adding the Curacao is just adding more orange flavoring and, in this case, blue coloring.  The Cointreau is what makes the Chairman of the Board an interesting Martini. Adding a bit more orange flavor sounds okay to me but making it blue sounds wrong to me.

Note: Blue Curacao is just "regular" clear Curacao with blue coloring added and usually less alcohol. Blue, Red, Green, and Orange Curacao are the same thing with different coloring added to make colorful drinks. The label will likely also say "Triple Sec" on it as it is triple distilled. The stuff sold under the brand name of Triple Sec was originally sold as Curacao Triple Sec.

• Like 1

Perhaps it was more in-keeping with the Blue Curacao added, as we were sailing through the waters of Alaska. The colour blue became part of the ice image surroundings - Get in the mood brother.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, satxdiver said:

My last cruise I went as usual to Crooners to get my COB.  When the waiter brought my drink he assured me that it was the original COB without the bitters.  It tasted like I always remembered.  I order Knob Creek on the rocks most of the time however as my go to drink.  Hard to mess it up.  I will be on the Star next month and will have to try Blue Curacao in my COB.  We don't go to the PES lounge in the evening that often anymore since they stopped selling the COB at the special price.  

What is the price where you DO go?

8 hours ago, heddyjan said:

A few years ago Princess used equal parts of the Bombay Sapphire gin/Grey Goose vodka and Cointreau. It was delicious but then they reduced the Cointreau and now it’s awful. Well, it’s not to my taste !!

Ask them for heavy Cointreau or perhaps the previously suggested Blue Curacao.