Escape Room and claustrophobia

I have booked Escape the Rubicon on Symphony in September. I really want to try an escape room as it seems like a lot of fun and I want to try some new things on this cruise. I am claustrophobic however and had a few questions about escape rooms in general and those on the ships. What size are the rooms and do they feel crowded with the number of people who are allowed in? Do they get hot and stuffy or are they well ventilated and air conditioned? If I decide I want to leave part way through will they let me out? I would appreciate any thoughts especially from people who are claustrophobic.

45 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Do they get hot and stuffy or are they well ventilated and air conditioned? If I decide I want to leave part way through will they let me out? I would appreciate any thoughts especially from people who are claustrophobic.

I've never been in the escape room on the ship, however in similar experiences on land I can say the rooms were as well ventilated as any other room.  The locks on the door are virtual, in that you aren't allowed to open it, but there is nothing to actually prevent you from leaving, except that typically if you leave, you may not return.

The room isn't stuffy and is air conditioned like other rooms on the ship.

It's not crowded, though you may bump into people if looking at specific tasks. It's not really different from being in a meeting room.  To give an idea of size, it's probably about the size of 2 cabins put together.

You're far more constricted during the fire drill!

The Escape Room on Symphony is actually 2 rooms - you have to solve the clues in room 1 to access room 2. 

Room 1 is the bigger room and also has a window. 

We had a group of 8 and there was plenty of room for you to move and solve the clues.  Room 2 is much smaller but it only needs a few people to be in there to save the world..

LB - who saved the world....

I am also claustrophobic but tried the escape room two years ago.  I had absolutely NO problem.  The escape room area is very large and everyone is working together so it's a lot of fun.  There was always an cavities person in the room with us and someone did leave b/c they were feeling a bit queasy so they simply left.  No problem.  Did the escape room again last cruise and still very enjoyable.   Give it a try, it's fun!

Swiss

1 hour ago, blueridgemama said:

Thank you for all your replies. I hate to have to limit what I can do in life because of a fear. My biggest fear is feeling trapped so knowing what to expect really helps, especially knowing that I can leave if I need to.

I am too, those close to me know if I just leave without warning I'm protecting us all (to not trigger the fight and instead flight 🙂 ).  As I often don't know what combination of lights/sounds/crowds will trigger a reaction. They'd definitely let you out if needed, I'd just make sure your party knows you'll "escape" on your own if necessary.

On ships it's the last day that gets me the worst - when waiting in lines and not being allowed off the ship and told to stay in a small area.  I've often been able to stand silently just outside the space, I try to talk to crew members before I know I need to bolt.  Though having the Key the last trip and avoiding all those lines was worth the entire price of Key for me.  I also avoid elevators on board - this last trip I couldn't as much since I had knee surgery and still need to be careful of stairs but some nights we'd head to the elevator bank and with the crowd waiting my husband understood when I just turned and headed to the stairs.  

2 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

I am too, those close to me know if I just leave without warning I'm protecting us all (to not trigger the fight and instead flight 🙂 ).  As I often don't know what combination of lights/sounds/crowds will trigger a reaction. They'd definitely let you out if needed, I'd just make sure your party knows you'll "escape" on your own if necessary.

On ships it's the last day that gets me the worst - when waiting in lines and not being allowed off the ship and told to stay in a small area.  I've often been able to stand silently just outside the space, I try to talk to crew members before I know I need to bolt.  Though having the Key the last trip and avoiding all those lines was worth the entire price of Key for me.  I also avoid elevators on board - this last trip I couldn't as much since I had knee surgery and still need to be careful of stairs but some nights we'd head to the elevator bank and with the crowd waiting my husband understood when I just turned and headed to the stairs.  

I am ok on elevators but if the elevator got stuck I would panic so I tend to take the stairs when able. If I take the elevator I try to not be in the back. I can not attend outdoor muster drills unless I am in the front row so I always show up a little on the late side  so that I am in the front row. Our first cruise we showed up early and thus were in the back of a large crowd of hot, sweaty,  unhappy passengers trapped on the outside deck in the sweltering Miami heat. I really did panic and was totally embarrassed when I had to push myself through the crowd to get some air. They had us packed in like sardines! I do tell the muster drill staff that I am claustrophobic and several times have been given the ok to attend the indoor muster drill. Claustrophobia is not fun!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blueridgemama said:

I am ok on elevators but if the elevator got stuck I would panic so I tend to take the stairs when able. If I take the elevator I try to not be in the back. I can not attend outdoor muster drills unless I am in the front row so I always show up a little on the late side  so that I am in the front row. Our first cruise we showed up early and thus were in the back of a large crowd of hot, sweaty,  unhappy passengers trapped on the outside deck in the sweltering Miami heat. I really did panic and was totally embarrassed when I had to push myself through the crowd to get some air. They had us packed in like sardines! I do tell the muster drill staff that I am claustrophobic and several times have been given the ok to attend the indoor muster drill. Claustrophobia is not fun!

Ah yes, I've learned not to be on the back row either unless I've enjoyed a drink or two in advance and know I have enough family around me.  I too though show up later and ask to be near the front if not in the front.

Not a reason to drink but I have found at times it has helped - we were at Chicago Bears game when they had to evacuate the stadium into the concourse due to a looming Tornado.  I survived because of beer and my husband keeping as much of a ring of space around me as possible with the thousands in the same plight lol

Tough one as everyone's fears are different. Know my Step Father even watching TV with person in tight spot would freak him out. Then my Nephew in a locked room is very uncomfortable even if just him in 10 by 10 room. Some its crowds/close to others. To OP good luck, hope works out for you...

Freaks me out just reading these posts.  Many shows on TV I can not watch and can't even imagine diving 50 feet into ocean as a friend does for photography.  Do not like crowds either and always do Muster in the Handicap area.  Standing outside on deck at back of pack would never work for me.  Hope OP can enjoy the experience.  I would be afraid to try.  So bad I can't imagine sailing without a balcony.

We were on Indy last week and did the escape room.  It was converted from the wedding chapel.  We had 8 in there, and I never bumped into someone.  Also, the room is not "locked" so no need to worry there. 

BTW, we escaped with 11 minutes to spare. 

On 4/10/2019 at 10:10 AM, blueridgemama said:

Thank you for all your replies. I hate to have to limit what I can do in life because of a fear. My biggest fear is feeling trapped so knowing what to expect really helps, especially knowing that I can leave if I need to.

Also, I'm sure you can tell the crew member who gives you the escape room backstory that you have claustrophobia ahead of time so they can be on the look out for you. They are all there to make sure you're having fun!!!

At least in Ohio, fire code actually prohibits escape rooms from truly locking you into a room.  I would imagine that most other escape rooms are similar.  I have claustrophobia as well, and escape rooms are never an issue, largely because you can just walk out if it really bothers you.

We did the one on Symphony.  I think there was plenty of room, but we only had 8 people in our time slot.  At times people were crowding around the same clues, so you can be in close proximity to others.  But you would have the choice to back away and give yourself the needed space.  I will tell you it seems a bit dark.  Not like nighttime but the atmosphere for the Symphony room is being inside a submarine.  I don’t know if that makes a difference for you.

The activities person being in the room does make a big difference in the feeling of not being trapped.  Ours was delightful and I have no doubt that the person would let you leave if it were necessary.  

The one on Anthem is about the size of a classroom. I did not feel claustrophobic at all, but I relate to many of these posts. It hit me yesterday when waiting for our ground transportation and people filled in around me with their bags. It was an open air situation but I can't be penned in like that. Fortunately I was able to move.