MSC Transatlantics?

4774Papa

Hi, I’m onboard MSC Poesia right now on a 17-nights repositioning/transatlantic cruise. We left Rio 🇧🇷 April 1st and will arrive to Copenhagen 🇩🇰 April 18th. Today we spent in Vigo 🇪🇸, Spain. 

Our 6 days Atlantic crossing was smooth and nice.

I guess there are around 95 % Brazilians onboard, and the main language onboard is Portugues 🇪🇸

I have been cruising >30 times onboard 5 different cruise companies, even onboard MSC a number of times.

The food onboard is very blend; very tasteless...it’s no variations. The best food is to be found at the buffet; at the Ethnic corner.

The shows are amateurish, the cruise director is embarrassing and his animation team is very childish.

The captain is more or less invisible and silent all the time (I’ve seen him twice).

The officers do not great you at all.

In fact, after 13 of 17 nights onboard...I am longing home! 🙄

12A6C1D5-BF66-4D0E-B356-F018F9549218.jpeg

CBABC394-FB58-46CF-9FE1-975C888027CA.jpeg

Edited by Frode
  • Like 1

I did find many TA cruises, but most seem to go to Brazil.   That might be interesting, since that is one SA country that we haven't been too.

Still, if we take such a TA, we would still have to pay an expensive air to get back to the USA.

I will keep an eye on MSC.  Their Africa/Europe cruises look interesting.

6 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I will keep an eye on MSC.  Their Africa/Europe cruises look interesting.

We did a repositioning from Venice to Durban on one of the smallest class ships (for now, the next-size up class of ship is doing the route) - it was one of very best cruises we have done to date;  the itinerary is fantastic!  We visited Petra in Jordan and took a flight from Eilat to Jerusalem for the day (a ship's excursion), then stopped in Seychelles, Mauritius, and Reunion Island.  Sailing down the Suez was an experience in itself.

59 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We did a repositioning from Venice to Durban on one of the smallest class ships (for now, the next-size up class of ship is doing the route) - it was one of very best cruises we have done to date;  the itinerary is fantastic!  We visited Petra in Jordan and took a flight from Eilat to Jerusalem for the day (a ship's excursion), then stopped in Seychelles, Mauritius, and Reunion Island.  Sailing down the Suez was an experience in itself.

We did that cruise last year and agree, it was a fantastic itinerary

MSC also do Transatlantics from the Caribbean to Europe at this time of year. UK cruise companies are selling them as a package with flights from Barbados. They also embark in a couple of the French Caribbean islands so I would imagine they are sold in France as packages too

11 hours ago, barbyj said:

I just booked a 19 night TA on the Divana departing Rome on Nov. 6th 2019.  Ends in Miami arriving 11/25/2019.  Great Price

Great Barbyj.  There is a Roll Call for your sailing, but with 5 November as starting date.  There is also a Meet & Mingle for the 5 November sail date. Hope to see you then!

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

An itinerary we'd very much like to do - yes, another one lol! I'd actually like the trip to be a couple of days shorter so we could justify a few more days in SA.

We've sailed a couple of TA's, both Mediterranean to Caribbean/USA and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I\'ve done three grand voyages with MSC (plus 2 with RCI)

2014 Opera MSC Opera Southampton to Cape town,   link to review :- http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=9206

2016 MSC Orchestra Transatlantic (B2B  with a 14 Night Caribbean cruise) Bridgetown to Genoa,  link to review ;-  http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11371

2016 MSC Splendida Southampton to Genoa,  link to review  :-  http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=270&t=11857

you may like to read my reviews to get a feel for how I think MSC do Grand Voyages. 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

MSC calls their repositioning cruises "Grand Voyages" and generally take place in the late winter-early spring and then again in autumn.  The major routes are North America to Europe, South America to Europe, North Europe to the Mediterranean, South Africa to Europe, Dubai/Abu Dhabi to the Mediterranean, and China/Japan to Europe (via Dubai), and of course vice versa.  The ships generally remain in one geographical area for a three-four month season before repositioning back to Italy or another European homeport.  We enjoy the repositioning cruises and have done several with MSC but you have to be prepared for five or six at sea days without seeing a speck of land.

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:56 AM, Beamafar said:

Bea, We did the same cruise last April, But the other way around, I have to agree with you, It was the best Cruise we have been on.  

• Like 1