Dissection of a Medallion doodad thingy

fishin' musician

18 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

For those that are really that concerned about your privacy...how is this any different with the HUNDREDS of recording security cameras on the ship?

Not just hundreds but possibly thousands. If you look closely, the cabin door displays are in reality Samsung tablets encased in a housing with a medallion sensor (similar to the ones used for Bingo) just below the tablet. Inspecting the tablet you can see the opening for the tablet's camera. While I don't have first hand knowledge, my speculation is that Princess has access to the tablet cameras via the ship's Intranet. Whether the data is used and for what purposes we can't be sure but ... those cabin hallways can be monitored with video too.

7 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Not just hundreds but possibly thousands. If you look closely, the cabin door displays are in reality Samsung tablets encased in a housing with a medallion sensor (similar to the ones used for Bingo) just below the tablet. Inspecting the tablet you can see the opening for the tablet's camera. While I don't have first hand knowledge, my speculation is that Princess has access to the tablet cameras via the ship's Intranet. Whether the data is used and for what purposes we can't be sure but ... those cabin hallways can be monitored with video too.

Interesting...I did not realize those panels were "off the shelf" devices,  but that makes sense. 

On 4/20/2019 at 5:16 AM, beg3yrs said:

Just want to make a couple of points here regarding the "magnet".

1) Tools are often magnetized themselves to make is simpler to pick up parts. Just because the medallion was attracted to the pliers doesn't mean the medallion was a magnet, maybe the pliers were. Has anyone tried to stick their medallion on the cabin wall or a refrigerator?

2) Yes, a coil can be used to make an electromagnet but, the power required to make an ef

I was on the Royal Princess in December. They ARE magnetic. They stick to the cabin wall--and they will stick to your refrigerator when you get home.

Oh, and if yours is not working, go to Guest Services. They will test it and, if necessary, replace it. Mine did not work well from the beginning and gave up entirely somewhere around Day 2. The first sign was that I had to hold it up to the sign by the door and, even then, it was very, very slow. The second was that I could not get into my room at all (and, apparently, according to my husband who was trying to locate me, I was at choir practice and then suddenly, I was nowhere.)

22 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

the ones you like to attend, so the more that go, they will offer more of that. It would seem to work in your favor to be, "seen."

Also, some of the wall panels, or the app, can be used to find cabin mates, which is handy. That can't happen with the cards.

Thanks for that info. It's only the two of us, so tracking someone down on the ship isn't necessary.

I also get it that the Medallion is a great "marketing" tool for Princess, so they can send you more targeted "marketing" of what they know you "like", based on where you go on the ship.

Personally, I don't really need them telling me that. Just wondering if this doodad is really needed?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting...I did not realize those panels were "off the shelf" devices,  but that makes sense. 

I didn't know that myself until I saw a crew member working on one. It really makes sense to go that way. Probably a lot lower cost than trying to "roll your own" developing the hardware as well as the software.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, RocknRoll22 said:

I also get it that the Medallion is a great "marketing" tool for Princess, so they can send you more targeted "marketing" of what they know you "like", based on where you go on the ship.

That's not been our experience. We've had four cruises since restart using the Medallion. I get emails from Princess about the latest sale, but they're generic and I could stop them if I want. Also emails from our CVP a day before everyone else gets an email because we're Elite. He knows what we like because we tell him, but his emails are form emails, generic. I call him, he doesn't call me.

Surprise, they also know what TV shows and movies you watch in your cabin, because you're signed in to your stateroom TV. If you have Roku, Peacock or whatever at home, same thing. "Gee, the senior passengers all watched Jerry and Marge Go Large. Hmm, interesting." That kind of thing. Who cares.

I'd politely suggest not to overthink this, but if it really bothers you,  you do have options.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

That's not been our experience. We've had four cruises since restart using the Medallion. I get emails from Princess about the latest sale, but they're generic and I could stop them if I want.

Agreed...I don't think there is any connection between shipboard activity/movements and marketing emails...but I would STRONGLY suspect that they ARE doing some type of data mining to determine effects of ship events/activities and the possible demographics that they appeal to.  Very "behind the scenes" type stuff that I doubt marketing (shoreside) would have any interest.

Does anyone have experience with the Medallion OFF of the ship?  I see in the app there is a choice to add your credit card to use for "Shoreside" purchases.  On another cruise critic thread it has been reported that passengers are greeted by name in some of the shore side stores because the vendors can read the medallion.  

Also, can someone comment on the process for security check to re-enter the cruise port area after a day ashore?  Back in the day you used to show your cruise card and a photo id.  Does security staff read your medallion? 

"

29 minutes ago, coldweather said:

Does anyone have experience with the Medallion OFF of the ship?  I see in the app there is a choice to add your credit card to use for "Shoreside" purchases.  On another cruise critic thread it has been reported that passengers are greeted by name in some of the shore side stores because the vendors can read the medallion.  

Also, can someone comment on the process for security check to re-enter the cruise port area after a day ashore?  Back in the day you used to show your cruise card and a photo id.  Does security staff read your medallion? 

"

Can't help you with the first question. As for the second, I used the medallion on a cruise in December. When we left for a day ashore, we held the medallion up to a machine the staff had. When we returned, we held the medallion up to a machine the staff had. They often called us by name, which meant they were reading the info that came up on their computer screen.

• Thanks 1