Dissection of a Medallion doodad thingy

fishin' musician

7 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I had posted about being told that there was a magnet in the OM on another thread back in Jan.  I was told at check in on our Regal cruise.  I refused the OM and got a cruise card because of the magnet.

Do you know how far a distance you have to be away from the magnet to be safe for your pacemaker?  What about sitting next to a person who is wearing one, will that effect your pace maker?

I know there are magnet fields all around us.  Electric wires, for one.

I have been told that 6" away from my pacemaker is enough, but I will keep it in my purse or pants pocket for men (if it works o.k. from there)  I also would not wear it on a wristband since that can come in contact with your pacemaker if/when you lift your arms.

If I have any weird feeling I won't use it at all and instead request an "old fashioned cruise card"

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

When I am in my cabin, my Medallion thingie will be on a countertop, not on my body.  So they will not be able to tell if I am on the balcony, in bed, on the missing tube chair, in the bathroom.  

When I am out and about the ship, my thingie will be in an RF shielded container, so they will not be able to track me.  I hope.

If you notice the ship doing a U turn, you may want to take the Medallion doodad thingy out of the RF shielded container. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chamima said:

So we will also have to keep the medallion away from any of our charge cards so it doesn't de-magnetize them.

Do they warn you about that?

February, on Regal, I kept my thingy and keycard in the same pocket.  It had no effect on the card, so should not harm your credit card.  I have put the key card on my ipad before, that is not a good thing, as you have to go to Passenger Services to get a new one.  I also have a pacemaker, and was told on Regal not to put the thingy on a lanyard.  I have had a check on the pacemaker since then, and it had no adverse results.  

11 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

So, I'm guessing you need the OM "thingy" and your cell phone to do the steps...OM gives your location and authorization nd you do the actual ordering using your App on the phone...is that correct?

What about if you don't have a smart phone ( I know, it is hard to imagine but we do not 🤔) can we still board the ship?

Theo

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Renmar said:

What about if you don't have a smart phone ( I know, it is hard to imagine but we do not 🤔) can we still board the ship?

Theo

The Medallion doodad thingy is a glorified cruise card.  The difference is you may or may not have to present it to get in your room, make purchases or get on and off the ship.  A smartphone/tablet can be used to look at the daily schedule of activities, order food or drink, gamble or watch video.  You can also use it to locate other cruisers you've authorized who are carrying a Medallion doodad thingy. 

45 minutes ago, fishin' musician said:

The Medallion doodad thingy is a glorified cruise card.  The difference is you may or may not have to present it to get in your room, make purchases or get on and off the ship.  A smartphone/tablet can be used to look at the daily schedule of activities, order food or drink, gamble or watch video.  You can also use it to locate other cruisers you've authorized who are carrying a Medallion doodad thingy. 

The other difference is that when using it as basically a cruise card, you do not need to utilize any of the features that a cell phone or other digital device can have for features that a regular cruise card does not have

On 4/13/2019 at 5:57 PM, Coral said:

Did you do an "ifixit breakdown" on how much each one costs based on the parts?

Sorry - I read these things all the time where they figure out how much each component costs the manufacturer 🙂

Thanks for posting the pictures.

I m with u Teresa, this is what i want to know,..asking this before reading thru the posts.

Want to know how much it will cost'em when I misplace my medallion, cuz i know I will.

Edited by land lover
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2019 at 7:50 PM, satxdiver said:

The OM program and the updated internet are similar but there are ships that have the faster internet and do not yet have the OM.   If the ship has OM then it has the faster internet while some ships do not have OM (yet) but have the faster internet installed.

The OM allows Princess to populate their database and perform database mining which will impact their present and future plans.  If they can find out the locations and time where there is significant congestion, they can then take steps to alleviate the bottleneck.  Princess can better determine which activities and products are used the most and eliminate those that are not all that successful.  Using data mining they can take positive steps to increase their product appeal thereby generating more revenue for Princess.  In this world today companies that do not provide the best experience and services will be at the mercy of the market place.  Like it or not database mining is happening today and one very popular company (Amazon) is quite expert in this area.  On the cruising front, Disney has it down while the rest of the industry is trying to catch up. 

One has to wonder whether they will be able to track how much time is used trying to find your photos in the displays before deciding not to buy.  If so, we might see some freeing up of space onboard.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, CRUISEWITHH said:

Thank you for determining the device is magnetic.   I have a pacemaker and was worried about that because it means that I will have to keep it a great distanced from where my pacemaker is.

I couldn't get a straight answer from Princess techie's regarding that.

Agreed that is good information to know, especially in your case

The circular coil thing appears to be an antenna.  A circular coil with current running through it (as it will be for communications) will generate a magnetic field.  It may not be that the case is magnetized (the OP should drop the case onto a hard surface to demagnetize and then test for magnetization).

Regardless you may want to avoid any magnetic fields, whether they be from your OM badge, or cell phone.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, land lover said:

I m with u Teresa, this is what i want to know,..asking this before reading thru the posts.

Want to know how much it will cost'em when I misplace my medallion, cuz i know I will.

The interesting item is if your medallion is still on the the ship they should be able to pin point it down to its exact location.   Now if if accidentally fell overboard, as you threw it as hard as you could out of frustration....😂

I worked for a company that uses RFID chips in its merchandise supply containers, and we could easily find a particular container down to about a single square foot area (this is in a million sq foot warehouse).    

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Valiamo said:

The interesting item is if your medallion is still on the the ship they should be able to pin point it down to its exact location.   Now if if accidentally fell overboard, as you threw it as hard as you could out of frustration....😂

I worked for a company that uses RFID chips in its merchandise supply containers, and we could easily find a particular container down to about a single square foot area (this is in a million sq foot warehouse).    

Interesting.....doubt they would take the time to try to tell me where it is, easier to give me a new one?

On 4/16/2019 at 9:19 PM, KreinKrunker said:

February, on Regal, I kept my thingy and keycard in the same pocket.  It had no effect on the card, so should not harm your credit card.   

I agree. Last week on the Royal, they had them both together on the lanyard. DW kept them that way all week and it never affected the keycard.

On 4/17/2019 at 1:16 AM, fishin' musician said:

The Medallion doodad thingy is a glorified cruise card.  The difference is you may or may not have to present it to get in your room, make purchases or get on and off the ship.

Maybe not at the ship, however, when we went through Port Security in Puerto Vallarta, they wanted nothing to do with seeing the OM and demanded to see the Cruise Card. If Princess does away with the card altogether, (which they claim they are going to do), I think this could present a problem.

16 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

I agree. Last week on the Royal, they had them both together on the lanyard. DW kept them that way all week and it never affected the keycard.

Maybe not at the ship, however, when we went through Port Security in Puerto Vallarta, they wanted nothing to do with seeing the OM and demanded to see the Cruise Card. If Princess does away with the card altogether, (which they claim they are going to do), I think this could present a problem.

It will likely be a matter of buying the port security guards a magnifying glass so they can read the passenger name and cruise date on the Medallion doodad thingy.  It was actually a port security guard that showed me that my name, ship and cruise date was printed on the Medallion doodad thingy. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cruisingpeople said:

Thanks for the heads up, though that's not the first time I've heard of shore personnel refusing to accept the disk and demanding the cruise card. We're on the Royal next week, (looking forward to our return to PV), and from what I've read they will not be giving cards, only the OM, so it may get a bit interesting returning to the ship.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Thanks for the heads up, though that's not the first time I've heard of shore personnel refusing to accept the disk and demanding the cruise card. We're on the Royal next week, (looking forward to our return to PV), and from what I've read they will not be giving cards, only the OM, so it may get a bit interesting returning to the ship.

If there is any problem with the shore personnel, I will be resolved the first time it rears its head.  And unless you are on that first group of passengers, you will not have to deal with any such issues.

This is fantastic, I love to know what makes things tick and this saves me from trying to put mine back together (the taking apart step is always easy, not so much the reassembly!)  I will, however,  wait until after the cruise.  My husband and I are looking forward to using our medallion on our upcoming Regal Princess Baltic cruise.

Edited by trvllin36
composition

2 hours ago, trvllin36 said:

This is fantastic, I love to know what makes things tick and this saves me from trying to put mine back together (the taking apart step is always easy, not so much the reassembly!)  I will, however,  wait until after the cruise.  My husband and I are looking forward to using our medallion on our upcoming Regal Princess Baltic cruise.

Coward!!  Do it now, before the cruise.  Bring tools the tear it down again in case it does not work and you have to try re-assembly again!!!   (I always bring a minimal tool set with me just in case I need it.  Once, in the old days, I disconnected a wire in the cabin's speaker, because of the huge number of multi-language announcements that were blaring in the cabin non-stop.  It was not all molded plastic back then.)  

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

On CB in January (2019) and were given both the medallion and cruise card.  

There were times when we needed to show our cruise card rather than the medallion.  

9 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

There were times when we needed to show our cruise card rather than the medallion.  

When were those? Wondering if it was prior to getting the entire system up and running. 

2 minutes ago, Ep010835 said:

When were those? Wondering if it was prior to getting the entire system up and running. 

We were told it was up and running but apparently not .   We needed the cards at some bars and getting back on the ship at times.

Remember, we were given BOTH.

Feel sure if you are ONLY given the medallion, it will work just fine for everything.  :classic_cool:

6 minutes ago, OCruisers said:

We were told it was up and running but apparently not .   We needed the cards at some bars and getting back on the ship at times.

Remember, we were given BOTH.

Feel sure if you are ONLY given the medallion, it will work just fine for everything.  :classic_cool:

🤞