Would you let a ten year old have "charging" privileges?

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

thank you! I am with you on that. 

Our 8 yo doesn't have charging privileges, and he is never out of our sight. I can't imagine a 10 yo girl wandering around the ship by herself and making any kind of charges.

P.S. It's a good thing DS didn't have charging privileges, because my husband lost DS's sail pass on the last day of the cruise. We elected not to get a replacement, because the line at the guest services was horrendous on the last day. If anyone found the card and decided to use it, they were out of luck.

How did you get off the ship at the end of the cruise if you all did not have sea pass cards?

13 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

How did you get off the ship at the end of the cruise if you all did not have sea pass cards?

The Guest Services rep informed us that we could use DS's passport to get off the ship, and, sure enough, they entered the passport number on the way out into the machine, DS's photo popped up and they manually offboarded him 5 seconds later. All in all, it took less than a minute.

13 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

The Guest Services rep informed us that we could use DS's passport to get off the ship, and, sure enough, they entered the passport number on the way out into the machine, DS's photo popped up and they manually offboarded him 5 seconds later. All in all, it took less than a minute.

Not sure what guest services rep you are referring to as security man the machines as you leave the ship.  We have been behind people who didn't have their sea passes out to get off the ship and were told to step to the side to find them or go to guest services.

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure what guest services rep you are referring to as security man the machines as you leave the ship.  We have been behind people who didn't have their sea passes out to get off the ship and were told to step to the side to find them or go to guest services.

when DH lost the sea pass card, I immediately went to the Guest Services on the 5th deck. This was the night before disembarkation, so everybody and their brother was standing in line to settle charges or whatnot. So, I didn't want to stand in line for 2+ hours to get a card replaced only to disembark several hours later. I asked one of the idle GS reps and she told me DS could disembark with his passport. The next morning, DH's and my sea passes were scanned on departure, and I handed the security agent DS's passport. Less than a minute later the agent had DS offboarded as well.

Maybe, because he is a minor. I don't know. 

When mine were that age ( grown & married now), They had charging privileges. At the time I had to go to GS to get a print out of all charges daily. They were given a budget & knew one penny over & they lost ALL charging privileges for the week. We never had to remove them. At 10 they were old enough to be responsible. We saw it as a budgeting lesson for them. We would look at their spending together daily. They also knew consequences were real in our household.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

when DH lost the sea pass card, I immediately went to the Guest Services on the 5th deck. This was the night before disembarkation, so everybody and their brother was standing in line to settle charges or whatnot. So, I didn't want to stand in line for 2+ hours to get a card replaced only to disembark several hours later. I asked one of the idle GS reps and she told me DS could disembark with his passport. The next morning, DH's and my sea passes were scanned on departure, and I handed the security agent DS's passport. Less than a minute later the agent had DS offboarded as well.

Similar thing happened to my wife.  She lost her SeaPass card on the last day, and Guest Services said they could no longer replace the card, so she used her passport to disembark.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Good to know.  I wonder why the security on Anthem was giving these people such a hard time if he could just enter their passport number.  The group we saw were dumping everything out of her carryon trying to find them.  The man was pointing out to his wife that she was wrong and he knew they needed them.  Wasn't a pretty scene.  Maybe the security guard didn't want to deal with them either.🙄

12 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Good to know.  I wonder why the security on Anthem was giving these people such a hard time if he could just enter their passport number.  The group we saw were dumping everything out of her carryon trying to find them.  The man was pointing out to his wife that she was wrong and he knew they needed them.  Wasn't a pretty scene.  Maybe the security guard didn't want to deal with them either.🙄

maybe, it's because they still had their cards???

4 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

P.S. It's a good thing DS didn't have charging privileges, because my husband lost DS's sea pass on the last day of the cruise. We elected not to get a replacement, because the line at the guest services was horrendous on the last day. If anyone found the card and decided to use it, they were out of luck.

What makes you think that random people can just charge things on someone else's found card?  

7 minutes ago, brillohead said:

What makes you think that random people can just charge things on someone else's found card?  

I charged drinks to my DH's card, and he and I don't look alike, and I was never questioned even though I was alone.... Obviously, there are some places on the ship where a cruise person isn't even involved in a transaction, like the arcade.

• Like 1

Yes, I’ve always allowed charging privileges to all of my kids, even at 10, on all sorts of vacations. I tell them their limit for the duration ($25 on a cruise) and if they go over, they will pay me back. No one has even reached their limit, they know I’m 100% serious and will make them pay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

newer passports have the pics embedded. my husband and daughter's passport didn't require them to take a separate pic for their card on our last cruise; they literally transferred the pic electronically from the passport. mine required me to take a pic and the only difference is my passport is a few years old. i suspect that's the same technology.

• Like 1