The "10" speech - 5 times in 7 days

8 hours ago, BNBR said:

It's not dumb at all, actually. We strive for the best possible customer service.  If someone rates all 10's and one 9, they clearly put thought in to the 9. It means that the person considered something that happened and felt they couldn't provide a perfect 10.  Therefore, failure. 

I think rather differently to that,I believe that nobody is perfect & there is always room for improvement & will only give 9 rather than 10 unless something or someone has been exceptional.

My Wife works for an hotel & it is the end of the world if they get a negative review on the likes of Trip Advisor,even if sometimes it is for the most ridiculous reason so I know it happens,smacks of total over reaction IMO but that seems to be the modern way..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

So why fill out the survey to begin with?  Seems like a waste of time. I wonder what the cruise lines would do if nobody filled out the surveys?

Why not?  Don’t affect us one bit, but may give the workers something extra. Who knows. 

1 hour ago, snaefell said:

I think rather differently to that,I believe that nobody is perfect & there is always room for improvement & will only give 9 rather than 10 unless something or someone has been exceptional.

My Wife works for an hotel & it is the end of the world if they get a negative review on the likes of Trip Advisor,even if sometimes it is for the most ridiculous reason so I know it happens,smacks of total over reaction IMO but that seems to be the modern way..

This reminds me of the people who refuse to give a perfect score and then comment "Only Jesus is perfect"... 9.

The challenge with anything such as a subjective rating for staff performance is that the "scale" of rating varies by the person doing the assessment.

One person's "9" is another person's "10" based on expectations combined with actual experiences.

This is a classic case where reviews should be averaged/rounded from a number of reviews to get a real feel for how a staff member did their job. Otherwise, one passenger with an issue, attitude, or agenda could negate 10 others who say things in a positive manner. Imagine 3-4 people in a cabin all agreeing to review a lower rating based on a misunderstanding or unrealistic expectations...wiping out ratings from 10 other cabins who got top shelf service.

Unfortunately, staff performance reviews tend to be taken both seriously and literally...where an "8" may be seen as sub-par by management. That mindset is what drives the calls for a "10"...there's nearly a fear-factor for anything less by ship staff.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

Read the book, Devils on the Deep Blue Seas, short, easy read, good book.  The book talks about the start of the cruise industry, how ruthless it was and can be, like many industries. One of the guys in the book still is a big shot with Carnival.  One other thing, reading these posts makes me wonder why some even go on cruises. One has a great time overall but requesting a 10 or tipping has ruined the whole trip. Forrest Gump and his chocolates,  on a cruise ship, one pretty much knows what they are going to get. We enjoy cruising and will continue to do so, its the people we meet as well as the ship and ports.  It's sad to only see the things one does not like, but that is the way it is some things never change.