The "10" speech - 5 times in 7 days

On 4/14/2019 at 2:21 PM, davekathy said:

Did a B2B cruise on the Freedom 3 March and 10 March. No mention of the 10 speech from our MTD staff, headwaiters or cabin attendant the entire two weeks. 

I was on the second week and I noticed this same thing. I was surprised. There were some reminders to fill out the survey but never did anyone ask for a specific score.

When they start asking for a 10, cut them off and say "Not to worry my friend, you are number one in my book!" Hold up an index finger. Stare.

We were on Allure in March. Got the speech once in Johnny Rocket's. The dude was slick about it. Never technically asked for a 10. But sure hammered home the fact that giving a 10 is the highest rating, 10s are the best.

Everyone I've heard the speech from has always stressed how important 10's are to them, but no one has ever said the words "would you please give me all 10's on the survey?". They've all been very careful in that regard. So I could honestly answer "no" on the survey, where it asks if anyone has asked.

That is, of course, if I actually complete the survey. I have grown so tired of being asked to complete a survey, everywhere I go. Restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, hotels, at work. We grew so weary of them at work, that once we figured out we couldn't be forced to take them, most of us stopped.

When the only acceptable score is perfection, the survey is a joke. They aren't looking for honest feedback, they're looking for a pat on the back. They don't want to know where they excel, where they have room for improvement, and where they are failing. They want someone to blame. That may sound cynical, but "the speech" arose out of a culture of fear, not honesty and openness. Otherwise, there would be no need for a speech.

So yeah, it's rare that I take surveys anymore. I have better things to do with my time. Like reading message boards. [emoji41]

• Like 3

We had great service and wanted to fill out the emailed surveys but we have not received them following our last few RCCL cruises.  I even called them and they gave me the generic link to do a survey but it basically is only a couple of boxes with no chance to rate our experiences on a scale of 1 to 10, just a few boxes they want me to type comments in.  I asked others on our cruise and they never received the link either.

28 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

We had great service and wanted to fill out the emailed surveys but we have not received them following our last few RCCL cruises.  I even called them and they gave me the generic link to do a survey but it basically is only a couple of boxes with no chance to rate our experiences on a scale of 1 to 10, just a few boxes they want me to type comments in.  I asked others on our cruise and they never received the link either.

I literally received the survey email when I was sitting at the airport on the way back from the cruise. Since I had hours till the flight (which was cancelled in the end), I filled it right there and then.

The problem with these surveys that ask customers to rate the service they received is, no matter what the number range on them is, unless the top number is given, the company looks at the rating as a one.  So if you rate someone between one and nine, it's a fail for the employee.  I know this because I worked at a company who used these surveys to evaluate my work, but, the average person doing the survey does not know that. Instead of being numbered the survey should ask for a pass/fail rating or thumbs up/down rating.   I will say that all the surveys requested annoyed me at work and they still annoy me as a customer.  Very rarely do they give the full picture of the service given or received, but, if they are not all the highest number the employee could lose their job.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 2:05 PM, PelicanBill said:

A problem... yes... I usually get it addressed.  But any complaint results in unfriendly service the rest of the meal because you have just delivered a rebuke to the specific waiter and busperson. Slow service is already done by the time you report it and cannot be corrected. One time I spoke up was when a meal was delivered in pieces to each member of our dining party so that we each ate at different times.  I had to wait 20 minutes for the officer in charge of the venue.  She listened and took down my name and cabin number.  Oh nice, I thought, maybe I will be credited something or get chocolate covered strawberries with a nice note.

A day later, my cabin steward mentioned that I had a bad experience in a restaurant. Shocked, I asked how he knew.  He said your cabin has a notation. Notation? What did it say?  He said, you complained about the restaurant.

So now I have a suspicion that speaking up causes them to track you as a possible problem complainer.  After 4 cruises on Norwegian Breakway and hearing others, I am certain that slow service is a chronic problem on that ship or cruise line and I report it as such on the survey rather than get my waiter in trouble.  It's a management problem.

It’s possible that you were “red flagged”. In the hotel industry if a customer has a negative experience/complaint, their account is flagged to insure that they are given superior service so as not to have any additional problems that might affect their stay. The steward should not have mentioned the notation.

I find it difficult to understand the constant need for a 10 in everything someone does. And why someone would not be happy with a marking of 9. That is a great score in most ways of thinking. Surely employers should be happy with staff getting 8 or 9 as well as 10. Someone in a job for a few years would be more likely to get a better marking than a newcomer who is still learning

Going back a bit when I was at school, the best marking at school and college was an A. It was something that was not expected to be gained by everyone. But then along came A+ to be aimed for, as an A was no longer the best. Now I believe there is an A*.

I expect the surveys will soon include an 10+ that the crew will all be asking for. If I am asked by a server to give a 10 I think I will tell them I was 'considering' doing so. Keep them on their toes. 

• Like 1

I'm as tired of this as I am of the Dining Room Head Waiter interrupting dinner on the final night of the cruise with what is usually an O V E R L Y   L O N G speech about how hard they all work for us.  A simple "thank you, we hope we have met your expectations and have a safe trip home", would be much appreciated.

Ellen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, laslomas said:

I find it difficult to understand the constant need for a 10 in everything someone does. And why someone would not be happy with a marking of 9. That is a great score in most ways of thinking. Surely employers should be happy with staff getting 8 or 9 as well as 10. Someone in a job for a few years would be more likely to get a better marking than a newcomer who is still learning

It should be this way.  But, as far as the company is concerned any score that is not a 10, is a 1 and the employee is graded that way.  If you get too many scores that are not 10s, you are out of a job.  Many people do not give 10s just on principle.  When I complete these forms I start off thinking that everyone will get a 10 unless they do something negative that is constant and consistent like not providing fresh towels every day, or, getting our orders wrong at dinner almost every night. (These have never happened.) As long as they did their job competently and were pleasant while doing it, I give them the 10.  I don't take things like towel animals, or if they remembered our names every night at dinner into consideration.  The 10 is the only score Royal will "pass" them with.  Any other score is a "fail."  It stinks but that is the way it is and how they are able to work to support their families.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2019 at 11:48 AM, LMaxwell said:

The "request" for 10's is alive and well; got it 5 times in 7 days on Allure this week.  Had 3 night dining package; each restaurant mentioned how important the surveys are and 10's especially, asked for 10's in Dining room on 2nd formal night, and then one evening in Windjammer manager was going around doing the same.  Just had to laugh about it.  Food and service were actually pretty good most of the trip, but still find it tacky to be asked multiple times.  Giovanni's had multiple issues during our dinner so was surprised they had the speech.

Just got off Allure Sunday and were not asked once to put 10's on our survey

We always give 10’s across the board regardless of service level or quality.  No way would I jeopardize someone’s livelihood because they may be having a bad day.  If it is not to our liking, we still give 10’s but simply never return.  If they want honest answers on surveys, they can always pay a company to experience whatever it is and report back.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daisimae said:

It should be this way.  But, as far as the company is concerned any score that is not a 10, is a 1 and the employee is graded that way.  If you get too many scores that are not 10s, you are out of a job.  Many people do not give 10s just on principle.  When I complete these forms I start off thinking that everyone will get a 10 unless they do something negative that is constant and consistent like not providing fresh towels every day, or, getting our orders wrong at dinner almost every night. (These have never happened.) As long as they did their job competently and were pleasant while doing it, I give them the 10.  I don't take things like towel animals, or if they remembered our names every night at dinner into consideration.  The 10 is the only score Royal will "pass" them with.  Any other score is a "fail."  It stinks but that is the way it is and how they are able to work to support their families.

Is there a source for this information? I find it very hard to believe that royal looks at a 9 and 1 exactly the same and would be interested in learning their rational for such an absurd policy.

• Like 1

I don't have an internet source for the "anything less than 10 is bad", but in real life my brother is the service manager of a car dealership and it is in fact that exact way.  If he or his staff receives 10 everything is fine, but if they receive 9s or less they are singled out for "retraining".  A 9 is considered a fail.   If there are 10 lines on the survey and you get a score of 10 on all but one of those lines, and a 9 on the last line it is still considered a "fail" for service.

Is it dumb?  yes   Should it be that way?  of course not  But is that how it works?  yes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Is there a source for this information? I find it very hard to believe that royal looks at a 9 and 1 exactly the same and would be interested in learning their rational for such an absurd policy.

Hi There:

There isn't a written source that I can share.  My insight comes from working for another very large entertainment company which has a similar policy.  Also, from working with Mystery Shopping companies with similar evaluations.  Anything other than the top score is a fail.  It does sound hard to believe, but, it is true.  I don't work for the entertainment company anymore and I never had a problem with my overall scores, but, I know there were others who did.  Anything other than a 10 puts a job at risk.  This is why they are all so insistent about asking for them, even though it is irritating.  As current employees, they can't give you the information and reasoning behind the request, but, they need to have the score.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wgeo said:

I don't have an internet source for the "anything less than 10 is bad", but in real life my brother is the service manager of a car dealership and it is in fact that exact way.  If he or his staff receives 10 everything is fine, but if they receive 9s or less they are singled out for "retraining".  A 9 is considered a fail.   If there are 10 lines on the survey and you get a score of 10 on all but one of those lines, and a 9 on the last line it is still considered a "fail" for service.

Is it dumb?  yes   Should it be that way?  of course not  But is that how it works?  yes

It's not dumb at all, actually. We strive for the best possible customer service.  If someone rates all 10's and one 9, they clearly put thought in to the 9. It means that the person considered something that happened and felt they couldn't provide a perfect 10.  Therefore, failure. 

Keep in mind your average person will rate a good experience perfectly. It's just fake Yelp type critics that will deduct stars and overly analyze otherwise great service.  So when an average person deducts, it really does mean something. 

Also consider that a cruise company has possibly millions of these surveys. They know what is typical. The same reason Uber kicks off drivers with ratings under 4.6 out of 5.  Even though 4.6 would generally mean really good, Uber knows their numbers. So does a cruise line. 

Even before my recent RC cruise, I have been fed up with the constant survey. They spend more time worrying about the survey than addressing the problem. Our poor waiter in the MDR begged us to give him a 10 or nothing because he would b fired. Giving a 10 is in mind above and beyond, but I did it anyway on the other hand the pool bar service got a 2. They shouldn't be having to ask us this, I agree it's a management issue.

3 hours ago, Sam Ting said:

We always give 10’s across the board regardless of service level or quality.  No way would I jeopardize someone’s livelihood because they may be having a bad day.  If it is not to our liking, we still give 10’s but simply never return.  If they want honest answers on surveys, they can always pay a company to experience whatever it is and report back.

So why fill out the survey to begin with?  Seems like a waste of time. I wonder what the cruise lines would do if nobody filled out the surveys?

• Like 2

I will never understand why cruisers p!ss and moan about the staff giving the 10 speech.

really, your personal ideology/religious beliefs/political affiliations/hair color/whatever are *that* offended by the speech, I don't care if it's 8 times a day at every venue.

I'm on a cruise and I'm living the good life. These poor people are working. I'm fine with it. And if I do fill out the survey, I give the 10s, with absolutely no thought to how the speech fits into my personal ideology/religious beliefs/political affiliations/hair color.

It's all good😎