Tracking prices each week

Chiefdog

45 minutes ago, Roz said:

I've found river cruises don't fluctuate in prince to the extent that ocean cruises do.

Roz

Thank you. Do you know if they include tours or do you pay for them? Also, are drinks included? 

20 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

Thank you. Do you know if they include tours or do you pay for them? Also, are drinks included? 

It depends on the cruise line.  On Uniworld (which I've sailed 3 times), all my tours were included.  There were a few optional tours for purchase.  All drinks were included, unless they were top shelf.  

When you're comparing prices, make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  

Roz

22 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

Most excursions are almost always included, although there may be some additional cost optional excursions.

On most lines, drinks are included at dinner, and usually at lunch. Some lines include all beverages. You need to check the policy of the individual line (and even the itinerary you wish to take; Europe is different than Asia, and sometimes Portugal is different from other Europe.

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at the stickies at the top of this forum; in particular these two

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2150685-new-to-river-cruising-start-here/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2330610-river-cruise-line-articles-on-cruise-critic/

Edited by gnome12
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Roz said:

It depends on the cruise line.  On Uniworld (which I've sailed 3 times), all my tours were included.  There were a few optional tours for purchase.  All drinks were included, unless they were top shelf.  

When you're comparing prices, make sure you're comparing apples to apples.  

Roz

Thanks Roz. I will look into UniWorld. I guess I won’t be able to see Notre Dame now. What a sad day. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:55 PM, Chiefdog said:

Most main stream lines include tours...  Some will have optionals available to purchase, but not all.  And, the optionals aren't necessarily "better" than the included tours.  We have travelled with most lines marketed in North America (AMA, Avalon, Scenic, Emerald, Viking & Uniworld) - and have not found a huge difference in the included tours. Occasionally you will get a tour guide who is a "dud" - but, it is rare.  One thing to look at is whether or not the tips to local guides are included in your price.

As for drinks, again, most included wine/beer/soft drinks - free flowing!! - at dinner, and often at lunch as well. Some lines offer sparkling wine at breakfast...  Mimosas anyone???   But, as gnome12 indicated - it might depend on where you are travelling.  Some lines have "daily specials" for drinks - and Avalon has brought in a "Happy Hour" on their Europeans ships - where all drinks are half price for an hour or so before the evening port talk.  Uniworld & Scenic have an open bar policy (except for some top shelf brands) - and Viking has the Silver Spirits package, although it may not be much of a savings depending on how much you drink outside of meal times. 

Fran

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:45 PM, Chiefdog said:

I guess I won’t be able to see Notre Dame now. What a sad day. 

It was a sad day...  Notre Dame was a beautiful cathedral, and I was very lucky to have been able to see more than once.  However, it is not the only beautiful cathedral in Paris.  While Notre Dame is certainly what most people associate with Paris, I love Sacre Coeur...

Fran

On 4/15/2019 at 1:55 PM, Chiefdog said:

Crystal included all the tours I wanted to go on. There were a few that you paid for "small group cooking lessons with a Viennese Chef", etc... But what I thought were the cool tours were included. I would have liked the cooking lesson but I wanted a day in Salzburg instead. Drinks were included all day. I don't know if some were excluded (very high end) but I didn't see anyone wishing for anything more than what was included. Gratuities were also included with Crystal.

Edited by Coral

2 hours ago, franski said:

Most main stream lines include tours...  Some will have optionals available to purchase, but not all.  And, the optionals aren't necessarily "better" than the included tours.  We have travelled with most lines marketed in North America (AMA, Avalon, Scenic, Emerald, Viking & Uniworld) - and have not found a huge difference in the included tours. Occasionally you will get a tour guide who is a "dud" - but, it is rare.  One thing to look at is whether or not the tips to local guides are included in your price.

As for drinks, again, most included wine/beer/soft drinks - free flowing!! - at dinner, and often at lunch as well. Some lines offer sparkling wine at breakfast...  Mimosas anyone???   But, as gnome12 indicated - it might depend on where you are travelling.  Some lines have "daily specials" for drinks - and Avalon has brought in a "Happy Hour" on their Europeans ships - where all drinks are half price for an hour or so before the evening port talk.  Uniworld & Scenic have an open bar policy (except for some top shelf brands) - and Viking has the Silver Spirits package, although it may not be much of a savings depending on how much you drink outside of meal times. 

Fran

Thank you Fran for so much info! I will check out the various lines. What do you feel is the best month? I have read that you might have to be bused to venues if the river levels are too high or low. 

18 minutes ago, Chiefdog said:

Thank you Fran for so much info! I will check out the various lines. What do you feel is the best month? I have read that you might have to be bused to venues if the river levels are too high or low. 

There is no "best month".  Weather and rainfall varies from year to year.  Yes, on a river cruise, there may be days when it becomes a bus trip and you may stay in a hotel.  Read the disclaimer on each river cruise line's website.

Roz