Sad day, and if anyone is going to Paris

kctwinmommy

If you're following the news today, you'll be seeing this I'm sure. But Notre Dame cathedral in Paris is burning! And they're saying it may burn to the ground. The roof & spire have already collapsed. Apparently they were doing some renovations, which is the most likely culprit. But it's so devastating for sure! I was able to see it back in the 90's, thankfully. But the things that will be lost, the iconic building, just everything, is heartbreaking!

https://www.foxnews.com/world/massive-fire-breaks-out-in-notre-dame-cathedral-in-paris?fbclid=IwAR3x8ymk1cIG9GgLLOJdWxAzuCx9RLRQGXTf2y_ZFvGasTBKyBIAE0wwgc0

9 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, truly a shame. I have been watching on the news. I particularly love the rose window and the organ - sure hope that it does not burn to the ground.

They're saying everything inside the wooden interior will most likely be gone. All the relics and artwork, just all this history, will be gone I'm sure. =( So sad for sure!

President Macron has vowed to rebuild within 5 years!  We love the promises of politicians as they are the fodder of late night humor.  Given the politics in Paris (and France) we suspect it will take at least 2 years to simply choose an architect.  Sadly we do not expect to see it completed in our lifetime (and we intend to live longer then 5 years).  One thing is for certain.  By the time they get Notre Dame rebuilt...President Macron will be a distant memory.

Hank

I don't know. The new Freedom Tower, I prefer to call it this as it was originally named because I worked up at 101st floor of One World Trade, was completed in 2015, only 14 years after the tragedy. NYC politics, and America, post 9/11 are no picnic either lately. Replacing something that is a source of pride, identity, culture, faith, sanctuary - the last one I think might be most significant today especially in France in light of the GiletsJaunes protests and everything else going on in the world. 

It was interesting, at least to me, to discover that Notre Dame is owned by France, not the Church. So although it's used for Masses, (maybe they pay rent to use it as a church?) really, anyone can and should go into this spectacular building anytime and feel safe...well...it's now a national monument and sort of museum and so it's to be protected as such but to the extent its doors are open, anyone can enter. 

It is in the center 'Pointe Zero" of Paris, on the island in the Seine and it is a place everyone sees, knows of Paris. It is the centerpiece of Paris skyline, it has been before the was any Tower. French politics are notoriously, um...interesting...and money issues, well President Hollande's hairstyling budget was more than questionable but...it seems as though almost everyone is already completely lined up in agreement that this will happen. 

Almost nothing is agreed on like this in Paris or in France but when it happens like this I believe, as it did for us with the new Tower we have, that the cathedral will be restored tout suite. There isn't even a tax deduction for the larger contributions (that we know of) but again, if you've been to France and....if you really know the French...in this it might, might...not matter. You know that scene in Casablanca when Le Marseillese starts to play over the Germans singing and everyone stands and sings it loud with Victor Laszlow? This is that kind of thing. And the massacre of 2015 isn't too far off in their minds either. This is France. They'll get that roof and spire fixed quick. 

It may have taken forever to repair Canal du St Martin or Tuileries or Chatelet des Halles (did you ever see what it used to look like) or rue de Rivoli was kind of sad. They don't actually have to BUILD a new cathedral so it won't be another 100+ years. Probably cleaning/restoring and fielding designs will take longest. Building...not so much. Then...a parade and party! 

I've seen it happen first hand living across the river from the carnage and watching buildings I loved, one that was a *home* of sorts (literally, the hours I worked there!!) be destroyed, carted away seemingly forever, to see a painful gaping hole in the sky and then eventually, something new rising up in the sky. That was weird but I was always glad it was happening and simultaneously proud, relieved, marveling that it was going up. Macron might be gone when it happens but he knows the French need what we needed. They smelled what I and other NYC' ers smelled and saw, and it healed us to know and hear that things would be OK. And...slowly....they were.

I already sent in my few euros.

Vive La Notre Dame, Vive La France

22 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

It was interesting, at least to me, to discover that Notre Dame is owned by France, not the Church. So although it's used for Masses, (maybe they pay rent to use it as a church?) really, anyone can and should go into this spectacular building anytime and feel safe...well...it's now a national monument and sort of museum and so it's to be protected as such but to the extent its doors are open, anyone can enter. 

Vive La Notre Dame, Vive La France

So that is interesting, and didn't realize that either. Had to look it up, found what they said about it... Although that makes it even more interesting since they said in some of the initial reports how all the renovations were being done by the Catholic Church and the government had nothing to do with it. I just thought that was a little sad, as this is a major icon and tourist attraction for the city. And I do agree with you, it will be rebuilt in my lifetime, and I plan on living a lot more than 5 years! This is what I found about that ownership.

Under the 1905 law on the separation of Church and State, Notre-Dame de Paris is one of 70 churches in Paris built before that year which are owned by the French state. While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state.

Just an update for anyone who wants to see Notre Dame: at least at the time of posting, there is a perimeter erected around the cathedral so you cannot get very close (or even inside). Went to Paris yesterday and can confirm this. However, you can still get a fairly good view from the street and see the outside of the cathedral. It is still standing, and in my opinion, the damage is actually not as bad as I thought it would be! 

So, if you've always wanted to see the cathedral, you can still see part of the exterior. 🙂 

Edited by simplyrubies

13 hours ago, simplyrubies said:

Just an update for anyone who wants to see Notre Dame: at least at the time of posting, there is a perimeter erected around the cathedral so you cannot get very close (or even inside). Went to Paris yesterday and can confirm this. However, you can still get a fairly good view from the street and see the outside of the cathedral. It is still standing, and in my opinion, the damage is actually not as bad as I thought it would be! 

So, if you've always wanted to see the cathedral, you can still see part of the exterior. 🙂 

I saw that! I have a friend who was there this week as well. She posted a few pics from cruising by on the Seine. And I think one or two walking. But like you said, you can't get really close now.