MSC private island (dinning information)

edith2019

The following information will answer your first question:

FOOD AND DRINK
As part of the commitment to ensure that the island is sustainable and to minimise waste, there is a select number of dining options on Ocean Cay. The ship will be fully operational whilst docked at the island and the furthest point from the ship is only a 20-minute walk or there is an electric cart service that will transport guests around the island. 

There is a choice of options for food and drink ashore, including: 
• Buffet: Conveniently located near the family lagoon, this is place for freshly prepared meals from a variety of international culinary traditions, including American classics and authentic Bahamian flavours as well as some kids’ favourites.
• Food carts: If you don’t feel like a sit-down meal, food carts with casual street food will be available; including a taco truck, conch fitter truck, and more. The trucks will be stationary during the day around the beaches and will move to the Marina area at night creating an atmospheric food festival-style feel.

These services will be offered at an additional cost with upgrades available to the beverage package. As the ship is easily accessible with guests being able to walk on and off at their leisure, guests will also be able to freely dine on board at their leisure.

A range of different bars with different atmospheres and ambiences are spread across the island. These include: 
• Authentic Bahamian Bar: Located in the Marina, this friendly bar offers cocktails and drinks in an authentic Bahamian style.
• Lighthouse Bar: This Hemingway-style cocktail bar offers an ample selection of rums, other spirits and delicious cocktails, all with an incredible sea views. It’s the perfect spot to take a break from one of the island’s many activities during the day, 
• Beach Bars: There are seven beach bars spread across the island, each with its own personality and its own special look and feel.
• Ice Cream Parlour and Coffee Bar: Located in the Marina, this venue offers different kinds of ice cream, from classics to more innovative flavours. The coffee bar offers freshly brewed whole bean and ground coffee, espresso and cappuccino for an energetic start to your day on Ocean Cay or a quick boost later on.

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

This is what I'm getting on my bookings.  They are supposed to also have roaming food carts with a charge to your cabin card.  Internet packages are also more to cover the island.

OC2.JPG

Edited by Até

Thanks - very useful!    Do you have a drinks package already on the boat?  I just wonder of this makes a difference to the pricing.

Also are the food and drinks included for Yacht Club guests, as both packages are not available to YC guests?

30 minutes ago, Até said:

This is what I'm getting on my bookings.  They are supposed to also have roaming food carts with a charge to your cabin card.  Internet packages are also more to cover the island.

OC2.JPG

Thank you for this. I just looked at our bookings and see this as well. 

$19 pp for the island buffet, are they nuts!!!😂🤣🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, marcoigna said:

so looks like fully inclusive for YC guests - however i dont see the options that you see on my booking...hmmmm

It's not showing on my booking either, Marco.  It's unlikely that it's because we're booked in YC as drinks packages not relevant for YC bookings are showing.  Maybe it's only showing on later sailings' bookings.  🤔

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It's not showing on my booking either, Marco.  It's unlikely that it's because we're booked in YC as drinks packages not relevant for YC bookings are showing.  Maybe it's only showing on later sailings' bookings.  🤔

Showing on all 4 of ours and our first cruise is on Nov. 23, 2019  We are not in YC

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

Do you have a drinks package already on the boat?  I just wonder of this makes a difference to the pricing.

Also are the food and drinks included for Yacht Club guests, as both packages are not available to YC guests?

On one sailing I have the Deluxe package and on another I'm in YC and pricing shows the same for both.  MSC has stated drinks packages are not good on the island, but these do say not available for YC so I take it that YC is inclusive on the island.  I'll just pack a bag with drinks from my package as I feel a bit offended by another $30pp on top of the Deluxe package I already paid for.  I'd be okay with a smaller up charge on the existing packages to cover the island like they are doing with the internet packages.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

$19 pp for the island buffet, are they nuts!!!

I thought the same thing, especially since getting back on the ship for a free lunch would be easy.  It makes me think the MDR's will be closed for lunch while at Ocean Cay, like at most ports.  So the alternative to the island buffet could only be the ship buffet crowded even worse than on a sea day?  I'm thinking worse than the first day lunch.  That $19pp might not look so bad then.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Até said:

I thought the same thing, especially since getting back on the ship for a free lunch would be easy.  It makes me think the MDR's will be closed for lunch while at Ocean Cay, like at most ports.  So the alternative to the island buffet could only be the ship buffet crowded even worse than on a sea day?  I'm thinking worse than the first day lunch.  That $19pp might not look so bad then.

Yeah but unless they are different than most private islands the buffets are not all that, usually hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad.  Picnic foods.  $19 for that is ridiculous and I for one will not fall for it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It's not showing on my booking either, Marco.  It's unlikely that it's because we're booked in YC as drinks packages not relevant for YC bookings are showing.  Maybe it's only showing on later sailings' bookings.

I see both of you are on the very first stop there, Nov 9th.  Strange though as it involves two different websites, but I'd guess MSC just forgot to put it on that sailing.  Otherwise maybe it will be a special free for everyone event for opening day?  One can only hope....

• Like 1

I suppose being in YC it won't impact (IF it's all-inclusive for YC guests, that is).  I'm still not convinced that the island will be ready for our cruise so I'll look forward to joining the many who hate Nassau and never want to return  😜 (that's if Nassau is a replacement for OC).

You have a very valid point re already paying for Deluxe - there should only be a small upcharge for drinks on the island.  Just get your steward to double up on the mini-bar drinks for the few days before, and bring the miniatures (and snacks) with you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Yeah but unless they are different than most private islands the buffets are not all that, usually hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad.  Picnic foods.  $19 for that is ridiculous and I for one will not fall for it.

Not saying the menu below is exact, but should be fairly close. Now....is this $19 worth?

Appetizers and Salads

Trumpet Pasta salad
Trumpet Shells, BBQ Chicken, Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Citrus Garlic Dressing

*Bahamian Ginger and Lime Couscous
Black Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Golden Pineapple, Shredded Greens, Ginger Dressing

*Caribbean Yucca Salad
Marinated Yucca, Peppers, Mango, Pineapple, Lime Rum Dressing

* Island Spiced Corn and Bean Salad
Pinto Kidney, Lima Beans Tossed, Sweet Corn,
Jalapefio, Cilantro Dressing

*Herb Vegetable Salad
Cucumber, Onion, Peppers Lightly Tossed in Fresh Oregano, Cumin Seeds Vinaigrette

*Tropical Red Cabbage Slaw
Mandarin, Raisins, Red Wine Vinaigrette

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

Arugula, Pecans, Bacon, Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dressing

Fruit
Carving Station: Pineapple, Watermelon, Seasonal Selection of Tropical Fruit

Island BBQ Menu

Main Courses

Freshly Grilled Island Signature Burger

signature blend of fresh Angus chuck, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam,

Monterey cheese, sweet fries

* Portobello Mushroom Burger
Crispy Plantains, Key West Lime, Avocado, Garlicky Aioli

Pork Ribs
Slow Roasted Ribs, Sweet Tamarind BBQ sauce

Beef Brisket
Special Brisket Rub, Slow Smoked For 12 Hours with Apple Woods

Bahamas Style Jerk Chicken
Sweet Plantains, Island Favorite

Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Garlic, Lime Rice

*Green Plantains & French Fries

*BBQ Beans
Southern Style BBQ Beans

*Corn Lollipops
Dusted Smoked Peppers Seasoning

*Vegetarian Options

Dessert

Creamy Caramel Flan
Tres Leches
Rum Cake
Coconut Macaroon
Guava Duff with butter rum sauce
Spicy Chocolate Cake

Kids Menu

Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Smiling Fish Bites
Tater Tots
Bahamas Mac 'n' Cheese

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Not saying the menu below is exact, but should be fairly close. Now....is this $19 worth?

Appetizers and Salads

Trumpet Pasta salad
Trumpet Shells, BBQ Chicken, Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Citrus Garlic Dressing

*Bahamian Ginger and Lime Couscous
Black Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Golden Pineapple, Shredded Greens, Ginger Dressing

*Caribbean Yucca Salad
Marinated Yucca, Peppers, Mango, Pineapple, Lime Rum Dressing

* Island Spiced Corn and Bean Salad
Pinto Kidney, Lima Beans Tossed, Sweet Corn,
Jalapefio, Cilantro Dressing

*Herb Vegetable Salad
Cucumber, Onion, Peppers Lightly Tossed in Fresh Oregano, Cumin Seeds Vinaigrette

*Tropical Red Cabbage Slaw
Mandarin, Raisins, Red Wine Vinaigrette

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

Arugula, Pecans, Bacon, Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dressing

Fruit
Carving Station: Pineapple, Watermelon, Seasonal Selection of Tropical Fruit

Island BBQ Menu

Main Courses

Freshly Grilled Island Signature Burger

signature blend of fresh Angus chuck, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam,

Monterey cheese, sweet fries

* Portobello Mushroom Burger
Crispy Plantains, Key West Lime, Avocado, Garlicky Aioli

Pork Ribs
Slow Roasted Ribs, Sweet Tamarind BBQ sauce

Beef Brisket
Special Brisket Rub, Slow Smoked For 12 Hours with Apple Woods

Bahamas Style Jerk Chicken
Sweet Plantains, Island Favorite

Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Garlic, Lime Rice

*Green Plantains & French Fries

*BBQ Beans
Southern Style BBQ Beans

*Corn Lollipops
Dusted Smoked Peppers Seasoning

*Vegetarian Options

Dessert

Creamy Caramel Flan
Tres Leches
Rum Cake
Coconut Macaroon
Guava Duff with butter rum sauce
Spicy Chocolate Cake

Kids Menu

Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Smiling Fish Bites
Tater Tots
Bahamas Mac 'n' Cheese

No, not to me at all. .  I just don't see paying $19 pp for buffet food when I can get back on the ship and have something for free.  But to each their own.

• Like 1

That looks okay for a buffet menu, at least there seems to be an island theme.  But I'm still not pre-purchasing, I think I would risk paying the extra $2.85pp gratuity and look the buffet over first then decide if I will go back to whatever the situation is on the ship.  That's pushing $45 for lunch for two of us, oops forgot about the drinks... didn't see any mention of included drinks so best possibility is the same options as on the ship buffet.  So add a couple beers and were probably hitting $60 for lunch.  I'm starting to think we better be first in line and holding a table at the ship buffet when they open for lunch.  It will be interesting to read the first reports.

1 hour ago, Até said:

That looks okay for a buffet menu, at least there seems to be an island theme.  But I'm still not pre-purchasing, I think I would risk paying the extra $2.85pp gratuity and look the buffet over first then decide if I will go back to whatever the situation is on the ship.  That's pushing $45 for lunch for two of us, oops forgot about the drinks... didn't see any mention of included drinks so best possibility is the same options as on the ship buffet.  So add a couple beers and were probably hitting $60 for lunch.  I'm starting to think we better be first in line and holding a table at the ship buffet when they open for lunch.  It will be interesting to read the first reports.

So, the buffet cost of $19pp, would this be for lunch and dinner?

23 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

So, the buffet cost of $19pp, would this be for lunch and dinner?

I've read reports that most of the island will shut down at dusk/dark so my complete guess is no dinner.  Bret?

34 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

A good majority of the island will shut down at dark. Food will be available at The Lighthouse Bar and at least one food truck after dark. There is also The Smiling Fish but that is only ice cream, coffees and teas.

Bret

Okay but it is still possible the buffet might be open later than 2 when most private island buffets close right?

Thinking about booking it on our first week just to check it out, I know, I know, I said I would not but then I seen the Snapper LOL.

7 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

As of right now, the Seakers Food Pavilion (the buffet area) is only scheduled to be open from 11:30 AM to 3:00 PM. I'm sure that is subject to change.

Bret 

Not sure where you get all your info but ty, helps a lot.  Hopefully the island will be open, doing a b2b2b2b on the Seaside and looking forward to it.