MSC private island (dinning information)

edith2019

For the Love of God what are they thinking? Charging for buffet food on a private island will be a first in the industry (that I am aware of). Maybe there is something to the NCL management theory  that Sidari talks about.

I just returned from RCLs private island. They redid the entire island in a little over a year- put in a pier- new huge buffet pavilion, entire water park, and they claim to have built the largest fresh water pool in the Caribbean. It was huge with a swim up bar etc.  Drink package, massive buffet, snack shop and the famous floating bar in the ocean were included. Ocean cay has a lot to live up to if CocoCay is the bar.

My one comment on the rcl survey was that they should consider overnights on their private island like MSC is advertising on ocean cay,  but now I hear the island is closing at dusk? Another huge mistake IMO- I pictured beach parties, bands, line dancing in the sand, games, native shows, pig roast, all the same type of evening beach activities that nearly ALL Caribbean AI resorts provide in the evening (even budget all Inclusives). 

I may be crazy, but I’m holding out hope that MSC does one of their common policy changes here- and this time the consumer

will benefit. 

24 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For the Love of God what are they thinking? Charging for buffet food on a private island will be a first in the industry (that I am aware of). Maybe there is something to the NCL management theory  that Sidari talks about.

I just returned from RCLs private island. They redid the entire island in a little over a year- put in a pier- new huge buffet pavilion, entire water park, and they claim to have built the largest fresh water pool in the Caribbean. It was huge with a swim up bar etc.  Drink package, massive buffet, snack shop and the famous floating bar in the ocean were included. Ocean cay has a lot to live up to if CocoCay is the bar.

My one comment on the rcl survey was that they should consider overnights on their private island like MSC is advertising on ocean cay,  but now I hear the island is closing at dusk? Another huge mistake IMO- I pictured beach parties, bands, line dancing in the sand, games, native shows, pig roast, all the same type of evening beach activities that nearly ALL Caribbean AI resorts provide in the evening (even budget all Inclusives). 

I may be crazy, but I’m holding out hope that MSC does one of their common policy changes here- and this time the consumer

will benefit. 

I would say - give MSC a chance. The island is not done yet - they are a cruise line that one day its this, next day its that - they are still trying out their niche in the cruise market, especially in North America.    

We have been cruising with them now for 5 years and consistency is not their strong point ,  but we feel they are more than fair and never yet to disappoint.   They are a cruise line that listens.   It may take a year from when the island opens to operate in the manner that keeps the majority happy.  

They keep consistently saying that the ship is docked there and go back and forth so i tell anyone, go back to the ship for lunch - no issue.

The only thing  I don't quite  get the comments as the the island pretty much shutting down at dusk - no reason to stay til midnight.  I see this as an adventure and give them a chance.  They have already stirred up the market here with some of their great concepts.  

Sorry, but i give my kudos to MSC to compete in this brutal market.  Its not easy but travel today is all about user pay.  This applies to ships/airlines/hotels.  Its the way travel is today.  One fare doesn't entitle you to all the benefits.  

Sorry - my opinion.  Just sayin!!!  

• Like 1

Not sure where people are getting the info the island is shutting at dusk. That is not correct! While it is true that part of the island will close, the side closest to the ship will remain open. In fact, look for a Full Moon Party on the beach at Lighthouse Bay, light shows, possibly a Junkanoo Parade at night and more. There are food choices open till at least 10:30 at night.

I will have to admit that charging for the buffet will generate a lot of negative complaints and I do expect that to be revisited in the future. But who knows. It is MSC. :classic_wink:

Bret

• Like 1

We're booked on the Armonia for December 9, 2019. Itinerary shows us docking at Ocean Cay at 7 am and departing at 5 pm. I for one would love to stay on the island longer, but that's the plan at present. I know several MSC ships are planning to visit Ocean Cay so the exact itinerary might differ from ship to ship. What I'm really curious about are the two Aurea areas of the island, since we're booked in the Aurea experience I hope that's included without an upcharge (i.e. unlike the food and bev).

On 4/16/2019 at 2:25 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Not saying the menu below is exact, but should be fairly close. Now....is this $19 worth?

Appetizers and Salads

Trumpet Pasta salad
Trumpet Shells, BBQ Chicken, Chorizo and Sun Dried Tomatoes, Citrus Garlic Dressing

*Bahamian Ginger and Lime Couscous
Black Beans, Cherry Tomatoes, Golden Pineapple, Shredded Greens, Ginger Dressing

*Caribbean Yucca Salad
Marinated Yucca, Peppers, Mango, Pineapple, Lime Rum Dressing

* Island Spiced Corn and Bean Salad
Pinto Kidney, Lima Beans Tossed, Sweet Corn,
Jalapefio, Cilantro Dressing

*Herb Vegetable Salad
Cucumber, Onion, Peppers Lightly Tossed in Fresh Oregano, Cumin Seeds Vinaigrette

*Tropical Red Cabbage Slaw
Mandarin, Raisins, Red Wine Vinaigrette

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

Arugula, Pecans, Bacon, Goat Cheese and Honey Lemon Dressing

Fruit
Carving Station: Pineapple, Watermelon, Seasonal Selection of Tropical Fruit

Island BBQ Menu

Main Courses

Freshly Grilled Island Signature Burger

signature blend of fresh Angus chuck, short ribs, brisket meat patty grilled, red onion jam,

Monterey cheese, sweet fries

* Portobello Mushroom Burger
Crispy Plantains, Key West Lime, Avocado, Garlicky Aioli

Pork Ribs
Slow Roasted Ribs, Sweet Tamarind BBQ sauce

Beef Brisket
Special Brisket Rub, Slow Smoked For 12 Hours with Apple Woods

Bahamas Style Jerk Chicken
Sweet Plantains, Island Favorite

Veracruz-Style Red Snapper
Garlic, Lime Rice

*Green Plantains & French Fries

*BBQ Beans
Southern Style BBQ Beans

*Corn Lollipops
Dusted Smoked Peppers Seasoning

*Vegetarian Options

Dessert

Creamy Caramel Flan
Tres Leches
Rum Cake
Coconut Macaroon
Guava Duff with butter rum sauce
Spicy Chocolate Cake

Kids Menu

Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce

Smiling Fish Bites
Tater Tots
Bahamas Mac 'n' Cheese

so tell where did you find the menu, please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deliver42 said:

I love MSC, and am booked for my 3rd on the Meraviglia next year, which includes Ocean Cay, but I'll never pay for a buffet on the island. Another PR gaffe from MSC.

check the other private islands that other cruise lines have they also charge for food and drink

2 hours ago, DLA57 said:

so tell where did you find the menu, please?

This information has not been made public as of yet. Due to my relationship with MSC, I get a little more info than I probably should. 🤭

3 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

What I'm really curious about are the two Aurea areas of the island

In the Aurea Paradise Sands beach area, there will be eight massage cabanas plus the regular beach chairs exclusive for Aurea Experience Guests. Haven't been able to determine food and beverage service other than "Infused water service and fruit skewers served to the beach chairs." There is the Pineapple Bar not too far away as well as a food truck. Hope this helps.

Bret

Edited by cruiseguyinorl

2 minutes ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

This information has not been made public as of yet. Due to my relationship with MSC, I get a little more insider info than I probably should. 🤭

That ship sailed the day you posted it on this (public) site.  🙄

48 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

check the other private islands that other cruise lines have they also charge for food and drink

As far as I know Princess do not make a charge for food at Princess Cays.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

That ship sailed the day you posted it on this (public) site.  🙄

Yep, no significant trade secrets and nothing that guests won't find out for themselves once there. Plus it eliminates wrong information and speculation as MSC doesn't do a good job of communicating with guests.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sidari said:

As far as I know Princess do not make a charge for food at Princess Cays.

Ah okay maybe not all then but on one of the you tube videos of one of the ships they showed that you had to pay for drinks and food.

To be honest I can see why they do it the island has to be paid for somehow and getting all the food and drink to the island costs but no reason why they couldn't include the drinks package on the island. Sure the full details of any drinks package specifically for the island will come out soon enough

I do see that the Princess Cays for drinks may or may not be charged depending on the drinks package and that the lunch menu is an extension of the ships on board menu so can see why they don't charge for that.

It will be interesting to see how people use it and if its not a tender like some of the other lines then easy enough to go back and get drinks / snacks

Edited by ikea logistics

1 hour ago, ikea logistics said:

The only other places that I know of is Harvest Cay which is NCL but they also have a private island (Great Stirrup Cay) that does not charge extra for the food or drinks (if you have the drink package which most do) and Amber Cove which is CCL but they have Half Moon Cay also which the food and the drinks (if you have a drink package) are free.

Harvest Cay is not really a private island as it is ran by the Belizean people and they make the profit.  Amber Cove also is not a private island.  These two places are really privately owned ports.  Then there is Mahogany Bay in Honduras owned by CCL but once again it is a private port. 

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 1

Ah fine okay my mistake

It looks like all the other lines its a buffet style that you get complimentary maybe MSC will also go in that direction but if you want a more sophisticated meal IE the one you get in the speciality restaurants you may have to pay extra.

Who knows with MSC one week they'll charge then the next they'll say we've looked at the offerings and its now complimentry

On 4/16/2019 at 10:42 AM, ready2cruzagain said:

Yeah but unless they are different than most private islands the buffets are not all that, usually hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad.  Picnic foods.  $19 for that is ridiculous and I for one will not fall for it.

Think again.  Wouldn’t it stand to reason that they will make the island buffet so much better than the ship’s buffet?  I would pay $19 for good bbq any time.  I am betting that they will make it worthwhile...think specialty restaurant.  You will have the choice...walk all the way back to the same old buffet or throw a $20 bill on a bbq buffet.  

1 hour ago, ikea logistics said:

I also see that on the other private islands that the ships anchor and you have to tender to the island possible that they provide food complimentry for that reason

Having a Pier isn’t a variable. On RCLs private island of coco cay there is a pier and the enormous (and fabulous) buffet is complementary. It’s a really really great bbq with lots of other speciality grill items (all complimentary). As mentioned above Hal, Princess, and CCl all use half moon cay and offer complimentary buffet. Ncl has complimentary bbq buffet on their private island great stirrup cay. In fact, I can’t think of one other cruise line attempting to charge for food on a private island. It’s either going to be a first for the industry, or MSC will Change policy and offer their buffet for free also And That’s my personal bet :). 

On 4/17/2019 at 12:21 PM, cruiseguyinorl said:

Not sure where people are getting the info the island is shutting at dusk. That is not correct! While it is true that part of the island will close, the side closest to the ship will remain open. In fact, look for a Full Moon Party on the beach at Lighthouse Bay, light shows, possibly a Junkanoo Parade at night and more. There are food choices open till at least 10:30 at night.

I will have to admit that charging for the buffet will generate a lot of negative complaints and I do expect that to be revisited in the future. But who knows. It is MSC. :classic_wink:

Bret

So I just read an article specifically about ocean Cay and You are absolutely correct, MSc island won’t shut at dark!! They even have some pretty awesome activities planned at night including a laser light show. Unfortunately, I can’t link the Article Ihere as it goes against cc policy. The misconception about ocean cay is Spreading like wildfire though :(. There are two  previous posts in this thread alone that mention closing at dusk as does many threads in one of the “other” sites that allow cruise dialog :(. 

I’m very interested in how MSc rolls out Ocean Cay. They have a chance to do things really Innovative. I like that they have no plans for a pool or amusements, it will be like half moon cay was back in the 80s :).

Yep thanks for the corrections don't know why I thought I saw something about paying maybe not listening properly and forgot.

As others have said it will be interesting to see how they market the island and I'm sure like many other things the offering will change over time.

Yes it's nice to have a POC to just your ship but it is just another POC with all the pay for "excursions" at the price that the company want to charge.

Still something I would want to try but maybe wait for others views once it's open for bussines

For those who have an issue with having to pay extra for food & drink (which I do understand) maybe MSC should have included  it in the fare, then nobody would be any the wiser, whereas they've created a situation that's going to cause ill-feeling among their customers.

While other cruiselines may provide food (and drink packages are valid) on private islands, it's not "free" - the bean counters have ensured that the cost has been factored into the cruise fare.  Only the other day, I heard a quote of $99 pppd for the drinks package on NCL (and that's before the 18%? service charge is added, which MSC allows you to avoid if you prepay) compare that with MSC's 3 options to suit every budget - Easy $35, Premium $62 and PremiumPlus $79.

MSC's pricing structures have always been:  if you want something extra, you can pay for it.  You get to choose what you want to pay for.  With other lines, you pay for all the "inclusions", whether you use them or not.  That's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to MSC!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ikea logistics said:

I also see that on the other private islands that the ships anchor and you have to tender to the island possible that they provide food complimentry for that reason

DCL docks and bufferts are free.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

For those who have an issue with having to pay extra for food & drink (which I do understand) maybe MSC should have included  it in the fare, then nobody would be any the wiser, whereas they've created a situation that's going to cause ill-feeling among their customers.

While other cruiselines may provide food (and drink packages are valid) on private islands, it's not "free" - the bean counters have ensured that the cost has been factored into the cruise fare.  Only the other day, I heard a quote of $99 pppd for the drinks package on NCL (and that's before the 18%? service charge is added, which MSC allows you to avoid if you prepay) compare that with MSC's 3 options to suit every budget - Easy $35, Premium $62 and PremiumPlus $79.

MSC's pricing structures have always been:  if you want something extra, you can pay for it.  You get to choose what you want to pay for.  With other lines, you pay for all the "inclusions", whether you use them or not.  That's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to MSC!

MSC drinks and packages are a steal vs NCL.  Plus the NCL service charge is 20% at the moment and based on history likely to go up within the year.  Plus they charge 20% of the 'retail' value of the 'free' drink package if you select that as a perk.  Plus the retail value keeps increasing over time.  MSC is a walk in the park in comparison.