MSC private island (dinning information)

edith2019

7 minutes ago, dexddd said:

MSC drinks and packages are a steal vs NCL.  Plus the NCL service charge is 20% at the moment and based on history likely to go up within the year.  Plus they charge 20% of the 'retail' value of the 'free' drink package if you select that as a perk.  Plus the retail value keeps increasing over time.  MSC is a walk in the park in comparison.

And this ^^^^^^^^ is why we switched to MSC. While we love NCL, they have gotten ridiculous with their "free perks" charges, there is NOTHING "free" about them.  I have 3 cruise next certificates with NCL and will more than likely sell them if something does not give.  Just wish MSC would add the drink package to the cruises in the winter of 2020/2021.  As soon as they do, I will book.

Edited by ready2cruzagain

5 minutes ago, abbflex said:

Guess this is why the cruise fare is so low.  You have to pay for a lot of the extras  ? 

When we first looked at MSC we saw all the different booking options.  It seemed very confusing and even had a sticky with explanations.  They let you pay and pick what you want from little included to just about everything except shorex and gift shop.  Choice is yours

4 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

And this ^^^^^^^^ is why we switched to MSC. While we love NCL, they have gotten ridiculous with their "free perks" charges, there is NOTHING "free" about them.  I have 3 cruise next certificates with NCL and will more than likely sell them if something does not give.  Just wish MSC would add the drink package to the cruises in the winter of 2020/2021.  As soon as they do, I will book.

We have one cert left expiring late 2020 and too likely to sell as nails in NCL coffin long ago.

51 minutes ago, dexddd said:

... the NCL service charge is 20% at the moment ...

Thanks!  I had an idea it had increased from 18%.  Unbelievable that they advertise drinks packages included, yet charge this 20% on the value of the packages.

52 minutes ago, abbflex said:

Guess this is why the cruise fare is so low.  You have to pay for a lot of the extras  ? 

You get to decide what extras you want to pay for.  This way it makes cruising more accessible to those with more limited budgets than others.  MSC is a great value product at the price point it operates from.

• Like 2

Agreed if you don't want any of the drinks packages then no need to and if you do and pay for it in advance then in effect you are saving 15% on each drink purchase without the package.

That 15% may not sound a lot but it all adds up.

The main reason why we chose MSC for our first cruise in 30 years of marriage in 2017 was cost and the places that it was visiting

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

For those who have an issue with having to pay extra for food & drink (which I do understand) maybe MSC should have included  it in the fare, then nobody would be any the wiser, whereas they've created a situation that's going to cause ill-feeling among their customers.

While other cruiselines may provide food (and drink packages are valid) on private islands, it's not "free" - the bean counters have ensured that the cost has been factored into the cruise fare.  Only the other day, I heard a quote of $99 pppd for the drinks package on NCL (and that's before the 18%? service charge is added, which MSC allows you to avoid if you prepay) compare that with MSC's 3 options to suit every budget - Easy $35, Premium $62 and PremiumPlus $79.

MSC's pricing structures have always been:  if you want something extra, you can pay for it.  You get to choose what you want to pay for.  With other lines, you pay for all the "inclusions", whether you use them or not.  That's one of the main reasons I keep coming back to MSC!

This is exactly right. We have friends who cruise exclusively with NCL and love the experience, and according to them the unlimited beverage package is always included. Well, yeah, and with prices to match. I'd rather start with a lower fare and add the extras as I go (or not). I'd CERTAINLY rather pay $19 for a good buffet than an extra $100-200 to have it be "free."

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Only the other day, I heard a quote of $99 pppd for the drinks package on NCL (and that's before the 18%? service charge is added, which MSC allows you to avoid if you prepay) compare that with MSC's 3 options to suit every budget - Easy $35, Premium $62 and PremiumPlus $79.

Unfortunately, You have been mislead, or in the very least someone hasn't shared the entire picture with you. It's true, NCL does value it's drink package at $99 pp/pd. However; only a very small % of the population pays this rate (I never would). NCL has a perpetual sale where they offer unlimited drink packages as a 'free' choice on 99% of their cruises. It's not really free, because the guest needs to pay the 20% gratuity, so the 'true' out of pocket expense is roughly $20 pp/pd (much cheaper than MSC). It's true on some extremely popular sailings (New Years for example), NCL is not offering the 'free at sea' choice, but it's few and far between. I can say that I'd never purchase a NCL sailing without the free at sea offer. I've seen it offered on e every sailing I've considered for the remainder of 2019.

For the visual: this is direct from the NCL site. 

image.png.68e48cfe0ec66d9c51edb9bc0780340a.png

I don't disagree that NCL 'nickles and dimes', but in my opinion, no more than MSC. They all do to some extent, NCL and MSC are very close.  In the above example the beverage package would be cheaper on NCL (and the food on NCL's private island would also be complimentary.) :).

I'm not a NCL lover, but I'm not a hater either. You have to look at the entire picture. There have been three instances in particular where NCL has priced as a better value than MSC for us. Once in Norway and twice in the Caribbean. Everyone knows I consider MSC a budget (value) line, so unless their prices are lowest by a significant margin, I'm probably going with a competitor. MSC used to be a much better value than it is now, as their drink prices, laundry, etc.. have moved up to be comparable to the mainstream competition. 

• Like 1

According to NCL the free at sea is now the new  way of doing things so for 99$pp you can choose 2 perks if in the lower levels of rooms.

Only includes drinks up to 15$ in value and does not include bottled water

Premium Beverage Package does not include Starbucks®, room service, bottled water, mini bar purchases and designated super premium brands and cannot be used in Harvest Caye bars, restaurants and venues.

55 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You have to look at the entire picture.

The entire picture is that NCL has already significantly increased the cost of the cabin for anyone who chooses their own cabin and thus gets the "free" promotions.  If you don't choose the beverage/dining packages you are paying a premium that subsidizes those that do pick them.  Then what's worse is now NCL hits you again with an absurd gratuity amount if you do choose one of those packages.  For a very short time NCL offered the "Norwegian Rate" where a person could pick their cabin without the promotions, it was significantly less than choosing the free promotions.  That didn't last long (a couple days) as it made it obvious that people were paying more for the free promotional items, so now you're left with the "Sail Away" rate which is a guarantee cabin class with no promotions.  The price difference between this guarantee rate and the Free At Sea rate is staggering when compared to historical price differences between a guarantee and picking a cabin.

On MSC sailings that include promotions, such as the "All In" rate with Easy and WiFi packages, MSC at least shows you a true alternative.  Not one hiding the fact you're paying extra for the promotion, by forcing you into a guarantee cabin.  See attached screenshots below, it's currently called "Escape To Sea" and includes no perks, but still gives you the same cabin choices.  It does show exactly how much you are paying for the "All In" promotion, it's usually about $200pp/week.  However, I've seen it at less than $100pp on some sailings.  I personally value MSC's willingness to offer a base rate without promotions and options to include packages at a true discount.  The Easy package would normally, and on many sailings does cost $245pp/week and WiFi would be about $40pp, so the All In promotion does actually save a few dollars over the base rate. 

With NCL it's all smoke and mirrors.  If you look at the premium you're paying for the Free At Sea promo over Sail Away, even accounting for a realistic value for picking you cabin, then add in the fictional gratuity it leaves you the reality of paying much more than most people realize and more than on MSC.  For heavy drinkers NCL was and now currently to a lesser extent still can be a good deal, when compared to when they purchased the beverage plan outright.  The people that are paying the price for that good deal are those not wanting the drinks package but will not accept a guarantee cabin.  On NCL anyone who picks their cabin but doesn't take the beverage package is subsidizing those that do.  So effectively NCL has forced everyone into purchasing a expensive beverage package even if it's not in their best interest, for example light to moderate drinkers.

a.JPG

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

According to NCL the free at sea is now the new  way of doing things so for 99$pp you can choose 2 perks if in the lower levels of rooms.

Premium Beverage Package does not include Starbucks®, room service, bottled water, mini bar purchases and designated super premium brands and cannot be used in Harvest Caye bars, restaurants and venues.

Strange that bottled water isn't included (though I believe they offer tap water in the MDRs, unlike MSC who don't and who are only extending the included bottled water - as well as tea and coffee - in the MDRs to those with bookings from Ireland/UK).

It came about around the time that Magnifica was being based out of Southampton (or a little thereafter).  They even put kettles in the cabins!  It seems that MSC is trying to gain market share in the UK by basing ships out of Southampton in the way that they are out of Miami and tailoring their offerings by giving Brits something on the lines that they think the Brits want.

12 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

This is incorrect (I'm sorry I keep calling out your posts as incorrect, this is not intended with a mean spirit, rather for clarification).

NCL offers 4 (sometimes 5) "free" perks, but only two require additional charges. If you select "free beverages' you pay gratuity based on $99 pp/pd so you really pay about $20 a day or $140 pp per week. The other up charge is if you select specialty dining, but that is very minimal, less than $10 for the entire cruise on our last cruise. If you select free internet there is no up charge. If you select free gratuity, no up charge. Sometimes they offer KSF, no up charge. 

Of course one must look at what is included in the free beverage plan. Not all beverage plans are created equal (as we have all witnessed with MSC rolling out the new beverage plans). Only you can decide what value is to you. No bottled water would mean absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I PREFER it. Plastic water bottles are a huge environmental concern. I use a refillable water bottle 99.9% of the time. (and no, I don't fill directly from the dispenser for hygiene reasons lol),. 

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is incorrect (I'm sorry I keep calling out your posts as incorrect, this is not intended with a mean spirit, rather for clarification).

That's exactly the offer on the current promotion running in the UK, BB.

25 minutes ago, Até said:

The entire picture is that NCL has already significantly increased the cost of the cabin for anyone who chooses their own cabin and thus gets the "free" promotions.

I don't disagree at all. It's a numbers game. However, dollar for dollar (including the initial cost),, NCL has won my business 3 times in the 2 years. MSC has won my business twice. Celebrity once, and RCL once. I'm not loyal to any line and I feel pretty confident that I can accurately calculate my bottom line (aka the entire picture) cost per day before even stepping on-board any ship. Once I do my calculations, for me to choose MSC, they must be significantly lower than the competition (and they were twice). I don't always go with the 'cheapest', I determine my best value and go with that. I'm willing to pay a bit more for other mainstream lines. Of course, YMMV.

I think we all agree that the more information we have the better off we are when it comes to selecting a cruise ship :).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

NCL offers 4 (sometimes 5) "free" perks, but only two require additional charges. If you select "free beverages' you pay gratuity based on $99 pp/pd so you really pay about $20 a day or $140 pp per week. The other up charge is if you select specialty dining, but that is very minimal, less than $10 for the entire cruise on our last cruise. If you select free internet there is no up charge. If you select free gratuity, no up charge. Sometimes they offer KSF, no up charge. 

Of course one must look at what is included in the free beverage plan. Not all beverage plans are created equal (as we have all witnessed with MSC rolling out the new beverage plans). Only you can decide what value is to you. No bottled water would mean absolutely nothing for me. In fact, I PREFER it. Plastic water bottles are a huge environmental concern. I use a refillable water bottle 99.9% of the time. (and no, I don't fill directly from the dispenser for hygiene reasons lol),. 

I am going from the UK site and all it offers is the free at sea option now the all inclusive is no longer applicable

1 minute ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Can you link me please? I do admit pricing may be different for the UK business, but I'd like to see it to decipher. 

I don't have a link - it was on a UK TV cruise sales station.

Hi, BB

Can all of you excuse me if I go slightly off topic and ask BB a question?

Haven't been on NCL in years, we used to book suites on them, but you know how expensive they are now.

Do you book suites  on NCL?  If you don't, what category do you recommend?

9 minutes ago, ikea logistics said:

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/free-at-sea-uk

For bookings until 1 April 2019 Premium All Inclusive was offered across our fleet

Please accept my apology. I really need to preface everything I type with "I have no clue what happens outside of North America". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Please accept my apology. I really need to preface everything I type with "I have no clue what happens outside of North America". 

no problem we have no clue sometimes what happens outside of the UK either

do you have a link to the us site for NCL a si cant find one

Edited by ikea logistics
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ikea logistics said:

no problem we have no clue sometimes what happens outside of the UK either

do you have a link to the us site for NCL a si cant find one

Sure thing :). this is what is displayed in my URL... not sure if you will be auto-directed to the UK site.

https://www.ncl.com/

On 4/23/2019 at 7:01 PM, sidari said:

As far as I know Princess do not make a charge for food at Princess Cays.

The last time we sailed with NCL (3 years ago) they didn't charge for for on Great Stirrup Cay