Whale watching best in Juneau or Icy Strait Point?

Moonstruck1115

I'm trying to decide which port to schedule our whale watching excursion, either Juneau or Icy Strait Point.  Of course, I've heard good things about both.  We are traveling the end of May 2020 via Princess (Coral Princess).  Any input would be appreciated!  TIA 😊

ISP is the one port that we've seen whales very up close from (walking) the shoreline and from the tender (when they used to have one)...easy whale sightings and a great choice to do it in this port.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, Moonstruck1115 said:

I'm trying to decide which port to schedule our whale watching excursion, either Juneau or Icy Strait Point.  Of course, I've heard good things about both.  We are traveling the end of May 2020 via Princess (Coral Princess).  Any input would be appreciated!  TIA 😊

Save your money and stay on the ship in Icy Straight. The whales are around the ship. I made the mistake of buying an excursion. Wasted money. We simply circled the ship.

On 4/18/2019 at 2:20 PM, rick160158 said:

Save your money and stay on the ship in Icy Straight. The whales are around the ship. I made the mistake of buying an excursion. Wasted money. We simply circled the ship.

How many times have you been there and when?    In my  experience,  this is NOT in any way a predictable event.    You got lucky and likely were there during the herring bloom,  which covers only a short time.   Most of my trips,  have required out of cruise ship dock range distances for viewing.  At least 20 visits  and 5 whale watches there,  last 2 years.  

On 4/17/2019 at 3:56 AM, Crew News said:

Ny experience is the whales in Icy Strait Point are much more active and tend to feed in groups whereas the whales in Auke Bay, Juneau are more solitary.

ISP whales feeding:

image.png.de307f8b20779955a81c0c07dbb85a61.png

Pure  coincidence.   I've stayed out on 3 whale watches with a long port day in Juneau and saw endless bubble netting in Auke Bay.   I've seen plenty of activity along with great looks at the resident orca pods.   Auke Bay is a consistent long time feeding area with 100% sightings of humpbacks over the 25 years I've been visiting.    Hoonah is not some special "activity"  area.    Same behaviors-   feeding.  

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 12:38 AM, Budget Queen said:

Pure  coincidence.   I've stayed out on 3 whale watches with a long port day in Juneau and saw endless bubble netting in Auke Bay.   I've seen plenty of activity along with great looks at the resident orca pods.   Auke Bay is a consistent long time feeding area with 100% sightings of humpbacks over the 25 years I've been visiting.    Hoonah is not some special "activity"  area.    Same behaviors-   feeding.  

We've seen bubble netting in Auke Bay last time we were in Alaska.  Would taking a whale watching tour at 3pm from Hoonah a bit risky of missing the ship which departs at 7pm? 

23 hours ago, roscar said:

We've seen bubble netting in Auke Bay last time we were in Alaska.  Would taking a whale watching tour at 3pm from Hoonah a bit risky of missing the ship which departs at 7pm? 

Whale watching in ISP only goes out a few miles from the port with some whale sightings within sight of the cruise ship pier.  Even if you excursion boat needed to be towed back to port, there is no chance you will miss departure.

Edited by Crew News