Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

3 minutes ago, welwyngirl said:

We're Brits so it's a long haul for us to go on an old ship just to cruise round ports we have been to many times before.  On our last cruise,  a 17 day TA Rio to Lisbon my DH had a stroke and we were debarked in Brazil and spent a week in hospital and a week waiting for flights home.  Seems we're jinxed!

Hope your husband is doing much better now. That is scary! Flying from New Zealand ourselves so I feel you about the long haul. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tymike said:

Any chance they will revise their response?

Emailed with MSC PR. Their first post was misleading. She has sent me the revised compensation/cancellation policy and says they're working to update the website:

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and will receive: 

·        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

Guests on future MSC Armonia sailings that was scheduled to visit Cuba will be offered:

·        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit if they choose to remain on their currently booked sailing. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

·        The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OceansOfTravels said:

I know I said earlier that MSC's lack of communication was justified, but I'm starting to get upset. I saw the message on the website that said something would be coming tonight at the latest, but I really wanna know what's up. My cruise is in 10 days. I think we are still going to go through it, especially if they're gonna offer 50% compensation in return for people who stick it out. The way I see it, that is excursion/beach club money, and assuming there are many people (like on this thread right now) that cancel it because they cannot get to Cuba, an already-small ship will be practically empty. But, I still want to know what's going on so I can plan accordingly. 

We are also 10 days out and I am hoping itinerary changes come out so things can be booked (if need be).  We have airfare and hotel the night before so I am sure we will still continue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

Emailed with MSC PR. Their first post was misleading. She has sent me the revised compensation/cancellation policy and says they're working to update the website:

Guests currently on board MSC Armonia and their travel agents have already been informed and will receive: 

·        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

Guests on future MSC Armonia sailings that was scheduled to visit Cuba will be offered:

·        $400 USD per stateroom as onboard credit if they choose to remain on their currently booked sailing. If this credit is not fully used during the cruise, MSC Cruises will refund the difference upon check-out from the ship. Any shore excursions in Havana that were pre-purchased before the cruise, or which are included in the ticket, will be automatically refunded to the Guest’s onboard account.

·        The possibility to change ship and itinerary. MSC Cruises will waive cancellation fees and transfer already paid funds to the new booking.

That's better. I can live with that. Use with shore excursions, the extra cost restaurant and drinks.

• Like 2

Just now, sanbixby said:

We are also 10 days out and I am hoping itinerary changes come out so things can be booked (if need be).  We have airfare and hotel the night before so I am sure we will still continue.

Yeah.  I'd like to know as well. There is a cruise that leaves a few days after that goes to San Juan. So if it's Key West, we will stay, otherwise we want to change.

The mods clearly have common sense and can see both sides of the arguement. The fact is that the cruise lines as pointed previously are not responsible for the issue and therefore are not legally obliged to compensate anyone.

• Like 4

I am with you on that! On the September 9th Cruise we are going to Roatan Costa Maya and Cozumel. That leaves us with a choice of Key West or Grand Cayman. I am voting for Grand Cayman. That is where we buy our cheap Baileys Irish Cream! May need to take an extra bag to fill it with booze. LOL

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Erica@cruisecritic said:

Refundable OBC is actually a nice offer IMO. Many people will elect to spend it on board, so that's a win for MSC ($400 obc probably cost them less than $100 in out of pocket expenses). Those that can avoid the temptation to spend it on-board can get a nice chunky refund. I suspect those that booked inside bella categories will end up with an extremely good price for 7 day cruise. For those that booked higher categories, the % off isn't quite the same, but it's still a nice gesture. 

Now, the big question, how low will Armonia prices drop once those that want to cancel actually do? As far as I can tell, as an small older ship she doesn't have much to offer the mainstream NA cruiser. I suspect we will see balcony prices less than $400 all in this fall. For those that just want to get on the sea and don't care about ship/itinerary, this might be a very nice opportunity.

Just heard from our consultant at Oceania.  Itineraries for our cruise will be out next week, and they are offering 40% immediate refund if you sail, and a full refund with no penalties if you don't.  Wish it wasn't taking them so long to decide on the itinerary, but maybe this means that they will come up with some different ports other than the usual Eastern and Western 😁

Edited by Wyoming2010

4 minutes ago, travelwide said:

I am with you on that! On the September 9th Cruise we are going to Roatan Costa Maya and Cozumel. That leaves us with a choice of Key West or Grand Cayman. I am voting for Grand Cayman. That is where we buy our cheap Baileys Irish Cream! May need to take an extra bag to fill it with booze. LOL

We'd rather have Key West. Been to Grand Cayman too many times... but there is a ship that leaves a few days after our booked one that goes to San Juan.. so as long as they tell us which stop is replacing it we can decide.

11 minutes ago, travelwide said:

We'd be good with Grand Cayman, as well. Never been there and I hear my Sea Turtle fascination will be fulfilled. We got 2-staterooms b/c we have 2-teenage daughters, so that will be $800 OBC, it might be worth it for us to stay.  Now if they decide to throw us to the Bahamas, we will switch to Seaside.

5 minutes ago, CTurtlelvr said:

We'd be good with Grand Cayman, as well. Never been there and I hear my Sea Turtle fascination will be fulfilled. We got 2-staterooms b/c we have 2-teenage daughters, so that will be $800 OBC, it might be worth it for us to stay.  Now if they decide to throw us to the Bahamas, we will switch to Seaside.

We've only been to Grand Cayman once, and swam with the stingrays.  The island was wonderful and the people gracious.  One week after we were there they got hit with the worst hurricane in 25 years.  we actually saw the boat we rode in on a pile on the beach in news photos.  Heartbreaking.  I just don't want to repeat a port if I don't have to, so we'll see what they offer. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wyoming2010 said:

We've only been to Grand Cayman once, and swam with the stingrays.  The island was wonderful and the people gracious.  One week after we were there they got hit with the worst hurricane in 25 years.  we actually saw the boat we rode in on a pile on the beach in news photos.  Heartbreaking.  I just don't want to repeat a port if I don't have to, so we'll see what they offer. 

We've been at least 4 times I can think so. Key West only twice.

1 minute ago, Wyoming2010 said:

Yep, I certainly understand not wanting to repeat a port.  My SIL did the same excursion and she said it was the best excursion on any cruise ever.  We haven't been to Key West, so that would be acceptable for us.  I just don't want Bahamas or Dominican Republic, or Grand Turk.

• Like 1

Just now, CTurtlelvr said:

Yep, I certainly understand not wanting to repeat a port.  My SIL did the same excursion and she said it was the best excursion on any cruise ever.  We haven't been to Key West, so that would be acceptable for us.  I just don't want Bahamas or Dominican Republic, or Grand Turk.

Key West, Costa Maya, Cozumel and Grand Cayman are the only options the website said would be used...

1 minute ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I screen shot the message so I could refer back as other family is working and doesn't have access to it yet. (I'm a teacher so I'm off)

Funny, I'm doing the same!! Teacher here, as well!

• Like 1

Wow MSC are offering $300 more OBC than another line. The MSC cruises were cheaper to begin with as well than that line. 

Well done MSC, paying compensation when you didn’t have to for unilateral action taken against Cuba by the US administration and even a complete U-turn in US policy. 

• Like 1

Just now, thecruisers6 said:

Wow MSC are offering $300 more OBC than another line. The MSC cruises were cheaper to begin with as well than that line. 

Well done MSC, paying compensation when you didn’t have to for unilateral action taken against Cuba by the US administration and even a complete U-turn in US policy. 

Lol. Depends, Carnival was per person. MSC did fine and probably what they could. Most of us will end up using it on board regardless.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

I screen shot the message so I could refer back as other family is working and doesn't have access to it yet. (I'm a teacher so I'm off)

I would actually recommend everyone screen shot the part about returning unused OBC to form of payment and make sure to take that with you on the ship. 

• Like 1