Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

Just saw this message on MSC's homepage. Apparently they won't be traveling to Havana for now and will announce the Armonia's updated itinerary by close of business tomorrow.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/Cuba-Update.aspx

Yeah well I was expecting that since everyone else has changed already. I hope they give us something though. Drinks, tour... something. 

• Like 1

This is outside of MSC's control, so they really don't have to offer anything as compensation, as per their T&Cs.

I feel really sorry for those of you who have booked Armonia for the Havana stop.  It must be so disappointing.  We were very fortunate to visit in January (though it didn't impress us enough to want to visit again).

Just now, Beamafar said:

This is outside of MSC's control, so they really don't have to offer anything as compensation, as per their T&Cs.

I feel really sorry for those of you who have booked Armonia for the Havana stop.  It must be so disappointing.  We were very fortunate to visit in January (though it didn't impress us enough to want to visit again).

I know that but if they really want to get American customers they will offer something otherwise I foresee a lot of ppl not booking another cruise. 

There were so few Americans onboard our cruise that they wouldn't have been missed had they not been onboard.  They don't seem to be having much problems filling their ships that sail from Miami as it is;  otherwise they wouldn't be sending Meraviglia down to join Seaside, Divina and Armonia for Winter 2019/2020.

2 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There were so few Americans onboard our cruise that they wouldn't have been missed had they not been onboard.  They don't seem to be having much problems filling their ships that sail from Miami as it is;  otherwise they wouldn't be sending Meraviglia down to join Seaside, Divina and Armonia for Winter 2019/2020.

Maybe they can send Armonia back to homeport in Havana. There are plenty of flights to Cuba from Europe. American can still sneak in Cuba from Mexico anyway.

10 minutes ago, thetaro said:

I don't mind switching to Meraviglia or Seaside. 

The only reason people picked the ARMONIA is for Cuba.

Exactly. I also wouldn't mind switching to Seaside, it leaves 2-days prior to our original departure. 

1 minute ago, thetaro said:

Maybe they can send Armonia back to homeport in Havana. There are plenty of flights to Cuba from Europe. American can still sneak in Cuba from Mexico anyway.

MSC already has Opera homeporting in Havana and they are pulling her from there after this Summer.  It looks like Havana is going to be off cruise itineraries for the foreseeable future.

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Yes, but I understand they want to cater and get more Americans... maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure Americans aren't the only ones that booked Armonia for Cuba alone. It's in their best interest to offer some type of option like other lines. We shall see. 

Edited by AerynSun_JohnCrighton

4 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Yes, but I understand they want to cater and get more Americans... maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure Americans aren't the only ones that booked Armonia for Cubs alone. It's in the their best interest to offer some type of option like other lines. We shall see. 

I agree.  Having had a booking on Armonia solely for the Havana port, I can understand how disappointing it'll be for most everyone else who, more than likely, booked it for the same reason.  After all, it certainly wasn't for the ship!  She's small and old and a bit out-dated.

I imagine there will be a lot of cancellations by those who either can get their deposits back and haven't forked out for flights, or those who will make other arrangements around booked flights, etc.  MSC will certainly have to offer incentives to prevent mass cancellations.

Edited by Beamafar

Just now, Beamafar said:

I agree.  Having had a booking on Armonia solely for the Havana port, I can understand how disappointing it'll be for most everyone else who, more than likely, booked it for the same reason.  After all, it certainly wasn't for the ship!  She's small and old and a bit out-dated.  I imagine there will be a lot of cancellations by those who either can get their deposits back and haven't forked out for flights, or those who will make other arrangements around booked flights, etc.

Unfortunately, those of scheduled to Sail within the next few weeks do not have that option without losing all the money we paid.

Just now, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Unfortunately, those of scheduled to Sail within the next few weeks do not have that option without losing all the money we paid.

I understand that.  It's hard to quantify what MSC could offer to offset this upset.  I do hope that you will receive something to alleviate the disappointment.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Just saw this message on MSC's homepage. Apparently they won't be traveling to Havana for now and will announce the Armonia's updated itinerary by close of business tomorrow.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/Cuba-Update.aspx

Terrific. My parents and family booked this August's Armonia sailing specifically because of Cuba, and now politics have to get in the way of the American consumer.  Cruise tickets and flights all booked and paid for.  Ugh...

Wondering why I haven't gotten an email from MSC yet?

If MSC is smart, they would would reimburse us for the cruise and flight, or offer a port of call in lieu of Cuba that is second to none.

Edited by docboy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, docboy said:

Terrific. My parents and family booked the Armonia this August specifically because of Cuba, and now politics have to get in the way of the American consumer.  Cruise tickets and flights all booked and paid for.  Ugh...

Wondering why I haven't gotten an email from MSC yet?

If MSC is smart, they would would reimburse us for the cruise and flight, or offer a port of call in lieu of Cuba that is second to none.

We're in the same situation. Leaving on Armonia July 29, family has flights booked, as well. Only chose this ship for Cuba.  

MSC posted on webpage that they will have info on alternative itineraries tomorrow. 

• Like 1

It would take a lot of scrambling at this point to switch to another ship (with an earlier sail date than 6/17) due to flight and hotel changes that would need to be made.  I hope the cruise continues with a stop elsewhere. I would be willing to try for another ship but it would entail much time to coordinate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Yes, but I understand they want to cater and get more Americans... maybe I'm wrong. I'm sure Americans aren't the only ones that booked Armonia for Cuba alone. It's in their best interest to offer some type of option like other lines. We shall see. 

Mind me asking, what options are other cruise lines offering?

6 minutes ago, sanbixby said:

It would take a lot of scrambling at this point to switch to another ship (with an earlier sail date than 6/17) due to flight and hotel changes that would need to be made.  I hope the cruise continues with a stop elsewhere. I would be willing to try for another ship but it would entail much time to coordinate.

Depends on what's offered. I've been to Nassau counless times and wouldn't care for that.

3 minutes ago, AerynSun_JohnCrighton said:

Depends on what's offered. I've been to Nassau counless times and wouldn't care for that.

Agreed. I probably sound entitled, anything but Nassau or the Bahamas.  I wouldn't mind the Virgin Islands again, absolutely delicious fresh conch.