Cuba.....uh, oh.

goosemay

This is not a court, who cares if MSC is responsible or liable. 

The only thing I know is that it's a situation like this you know RCL > NCL > MSC and people are going to take it into consideration when they book the next cruise. 

I am from the US and I am glad I can cancel. Cuba itinerary is more expensive. The $400 OBC is simply not attractive. It's a joke comparing to what RCL/NCL offered. I canceled Armonia and rebooked a similar cabin on Meraviglia for $500 cheaper and it's a newer and bigger ship. Not to mention Armonia price is probably going to drop when they can't fill the ship. 

This mess doesn't bother me too much as I can easily cancel and rebook something else, but I understand why some people are upset when they pay a higher price for a lesser product and MSC is using the T&C to protect themselves. Why force people to get on a ship that they don't care anymore? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thetaro said:

This is not a court, who cares if MSC is responsible or liable. 

The only thing I know is that it's a situation like this you know RCL > NCL > MSC and people are going to take it into consideration when they book the next cruise. 

I am from the US and I am glad I can cancel. Cuba itinerary is more expensive. The $400 OBC is simply not attractive. It's a joke comparing to what RCL/NCL offered. I canceled Armonia and rebooked a similar cabin on Meraviglia for $500 cheaper and it's a newer and bigger ship. Not to mention Armonia price is probably going to drop when they can't fill the ship. 

This mess doesn't bother me too much as I can easily cancel and rebook something else, but I understand why some people are upset when they pay a higher price for a lesser product and MSC is using the T&C to protect themselves. Why force people to get on a ship that they don't care anymore? 

Totally agree. This is my first MSC experience after 15 cruises. For us this will be the most expensive cruise departing from Florida we will pay for. Plus we've transatlantic flights to still purchase. Also the oldest ship I will probably ever sail on visiting ports I've seen many times. I've duly noted how MSC responded to this situation in comparison to other cruiselines. Unfortunately being from UK I lose deposit if I cancel. 

Edited by harv2015

17 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

I don't understand why people seem to think MSC (or any other cruise line) owes them anything for actions not of their own, had no hand in, and is solely due to the US Government?

If a hurricane wiped out part of the Caribbean again (and will happen again) is everyone due compensation by their cruise line?

If someone wants to do something, fine, but why act as if it's somehow due you?

I've previously experienced an 11 night Carribean itinerary being totally revamped due to a hurricane wiping out part of the Carribean. I had no absolutely no problem accepting a totally different itinerary as I had booked a 'Carribean' cruise and the itinerary was replaced with 'Caribbean' ports. 

On this occasion I booked a 'Cuba' cruise with MSC at a higher price as it was visiting Cuba. If I've booked a Cuba cruise I don't expect it to be replaced with Carribean cruise. I would like MSC to do the decent thing and refund my deposit in the same way other cruiselines are dealing with customers.

Edited by harv2015

Cancellations, Delays and Refunds

(A) The Cruise Ship's operation is subject to weather conditions, mechanical problems, vessel traffic, government intervention, duty to assist other vessels or persons in distress, availability of berth facilities, and other factors beyond the Company's control. (B) The Company does not guarantee that the Cruise Ship will call at every advertised port or follow any particular route or time schedule. The Master and the Company shall have an absolute right to cancel, change or substitute the advertised schedule, ports, itinerary or route, or substitute other ships, without notice. If a scheduled port of embarkation is substituted, the Company shall determine and arrange transportation to the substituted port at no expense to the Passenger. (C) No part of the Fare is refundable, except as specifically provided as follows: (i) Before the Voyage begins, the Company has the right to cancel the Voyage for any reason without notice. In such event, The Company shall refund the full amount of the Fare received, and the Company shall have no further liability whatsoever. (ii) If the scheduled Voyage embarkation is delayed more than six (6) hours, the Company may arrange at no additional expense to the Passenger, such hotel accommodations as the Company deems appropriate until the Cruise Ship is ready to board. In this event, The Company shall have no further liability or obligation to the Passenger. (iii) After the Voyage begins, the Master may terminate the Voyage at any nearest port or at the next port of the itinerary. In such cases, the Company's sole liability shall be to make a pro-rata refund of the Fare received for any unused cruise days. The pro-rata refund will be calculated based on the number of whole days of twenty-four (24) hours that the Voyage is reduced. No pro-rata refund will be made for part of a day. The Company shall provide substitute transportation of its choice to the scheduled point of disembarkation. (iv) If the scheduled duration of the Voyage is extended, the Company shall have no liability to the Passenger, and the Passenger shall not be liable to pay any extra Fare. (v) If the duration of the Voyage is reduced, then the Company's sole liability shall be to make a pro-rata refund based on the number of whole days the Voyage is shortened by more than twenty-four (24) hours. In no event shall the Company be liable for consequential damages as a result of the cancellation, termination or extension of any voyage.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I remember the hurricane incident differently.  Can you please provide a reference indicating where "MSC did better for their guests than anyone else?"  I believe others were offering full refund and 50% future cruise credit while MSC only offered 25%.  Here is the press release: 

"MSC Cruises cancelled the September 9 sailing from Miami aboard the MSC Divina, citing Hurricane Irma in a prepared statement. Guests will receive a full refund and 25 percent discount voucher on a future sailing.... “Guests who disembark on Thursday will receive a refund for the two days shortening of their cruise vacation and, in addition, will also get a voucher for a 25% discount on the price of a future MSC Cruises vacation. Guests who will continue the cruise after Thursday’s call to Miami will also receive the same voucher.”

I'm truly not a MSC hater. I consider myself a realist, with realistic expectations of MSC.  As a budget cruise line, MSC provides a very nice product. When we (consumers) pay more, we expect more customer care when things go sideways. As long as MSC offers reduced pricing it's only fair for consumers to expect reduced customer care. 

BB ... With regard to your last paragraph yes i do agree when it is the fault of MSC, Cuba was taken out of their hands by your administration, it is they with whom people should be seeking compensation!

Edited by sidari
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, harv2015 said:

I've previously experienced an 11 night Carribean itinerary being totally revamped due to a hurricane wiping out part of the Carribean. I had no absolutely no problem accepting a totally different itinerary as I had booked a 'Carribean' cruise and the itinerary was replaced with 'Caribbean' ports. 

On this occasion I booked a 'Cuba' cruise with MSC at a higher price as it was visiting Cuba. If I've booked a Cuba cruise I don't expect it to be replaced with Carribean cruise. I would like MSC to do the decent thing and refund my deposit in the same way other cruiselines are dealing with customers.

I think you will find that you booked a Caribbean cruise with Cuba as part of that cruise ! To all those saying the prices were higher because the cruise was to Cuba, take a look at pricing for smaller ships in general, with fewer passengers they are usually higher than the pricing for newer ships carrying more passengers.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 2

remember the hurricane incident differently.  Can you please provide a reference indicating where "MSC did better for their guests than anyone else?"  I believe others were offering full refund and 50% future cruise credit while MSC only offered 25%.  Here is the press release: 

It wasnt Hurricane Irma to which i was referring. It was before that i think Harvey.

Even that one a few posts below mine you will Bea say how well they were treated when an hurricane occured.

Re my reference, Port of Galveston was closed and the RCI board was lit up with how badly they were handling everything. Wouldn't cancel the next cruise due to sail but pax couldnt actually get to Glaveston because of air port closures and flooding. Couldn't tell pax on board what they were going to do and thus those people couldn't make plans etc etc. Carnvial didnt do too badly with their information and making decisions.MSC (I believe it was Divina)   took stock of the situation did a very quick trip into I believe Cozumel  got supplies, offered pax alternatives whether they wanted to stay or go and got the hell out of Dodge. Pax were extremely complimentary

You said please tell you how MSC did better than anyone else. Its not always about money or compensation as some people seem to think or need.

Sometimes its about actions good or bad. Sometimes MSC do better than others sometimes they don't. 

No one puts a gun to anyone's head to foce them to sail their cruise line. Its your choice. If you don't like what one does then you try another.

Cruising seems to be the worst thing where people jump up and down amd complain and expect "compensation". MSC fill their ships primarily with non Americans. Of the small % that do sail them you will get those who enjoy the  refreshing change and their way of doing business  and you will get those that don't.

Either way it wont actually hurt the. MSC bottom line and that's basically the main point for them as they run a business.

Edited by Mattnvick
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, sidari said:

And also lose Deposits if they cancel.

The info has stated we can transfer our UK deposit to another booking, can this be an existing booking or does it need to be a completely new booking? Just wondering if we can transfer our deposit to another of our cruises? I suspect not, obviously but thought it worth checking if anyone had experience.

Edited by CruisingFox27

CF ... I would expect it would have to be a new booking using the deposit from the cruise that was headed to Cuba, the other option as usual is cancel and lose the deposit.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

The info has stated we can transfer our deposit to another booking, can this be an existing booking or does it need to be a completely new booking? Just wondering if we can transfer our deposit to another of our cruises? I suspect not, obviously but thought it worth checking if anyone had experience.

That's an interesting thought and only MSC will be able to tell you what they mean by it  😉

However i see where you are going with it and technically they should say "new" booking.  But as it didnt i would definitely be arguing my case to see if can be applied to an existing one. Good luck. 

• Like 1

I remember the hurricane incident differently.  Can you please provide a reference indicating where "MSC did better for their guests than anyone else?"  I believe others were offering full refund and 50% future cruise credit while MSC only offered 25%.  Here is the press release: 

"MSC Cruises cancelled the September 9 sailing from Miami aboard the MSC Divina, citing Hurricane Irma in a prepared statement. Guests will receive a full refund and 25 percent discount voucher on a future sailing.... “Guests who disembark on Thursday will receive a refund for the two days shortening of their cruise vacation and, in addition, will also get a voucher for a 25% discount on the price of a future MSC Cruises vacation. Guests who will continue the cruise after Thursday’s call to Miami will also receive the same voucher.”

I'm truly not a MSC hater. I consider myself a realist, with realistic expectations of MSC.  As a budget cruise line, MSC provides a very nice product. When we (consumers) pay more, we expect more customer care when things go sideways. As long as MSC offers reduced pricing it's only fair for consumers to expect reduced customer care. 

It is a difference in culture to some extent BB. 

We remember Divina escaping the path of the hurricane to Cozumel as stated above. The extra days were free of charge for passengers. What also happened is that MSC also invited any family members of staff onboard in Florida along with ground staff there to escape the danger. 

My other memory (obviously apart from the heartbreaking devastation and loss of life) are of the news clips of stranded passengers from another line. Where they had been dumped in the storms path before their cruise should even have finished. The cruise line was saying everyone was sorted, yet the news channel saw hundreds  stranded at the airport worried about their lives. 

I guess its more a case of financial motivation over there. 

After all it was the US that invented ‘where there’s blame, there’s a claim’ 

it’s just a shame citizens are too scared to dare say that it’s this US administration where the blame lies. 

• Like 2

I thought with the status matching to other cruise lines, MSC wanted to poach cruisers from other cruise lines to help build their North America business.

We have gone on almost 40 cruises . The only reason we booked the Armonia ( which sounds like an old, over crowded barge of a ship) was to visit Cuba. In fact, I rationalized booking it by thinking we will be in port on five days.

Their offer of $400 credit is pathetic . It only reminds me that I should have booked with RCL.

I’ll board tomorrow , but I’ll never book MSC again, and tell friends and family too.

Yes, they don’t have to offer any compensation, but I can also never book them again as well.

• Like 1

Status-match was introduced almost 4 years ago and still those from the US make up a tiny percentage of the passengers on Miami-based MSC ships.  The ships are still sailing at full, or near-full capacity, so MSC is not relying solely on the US market.  They wouldn't be deploying 4 ships to the region this Winter if they weren't happy with the level of progress they're making in the market.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mattnvick said:

That's an interesting thought and only MSC will be able to tell you what they mean by it  😉

However i see where you are going with it and technically they should say "new" booking.  But as it didnt i would definitely be arguing my case to see if can be applied to an existing one. Good luck. 

You cannot apply another deposit to an existing booking!

50 minutes ago, Jellyfish21 said:

I thought with the status matching to other cruise lines, MSC wanted to poach cruisers from other cruise lines to help build their North America business.

We have gone on almost 40 cruises . The only reason we booked the Armonia ( which sounds like an old, over crowded barge of a ship) was to visit Cuba. In fact, I rationalized booking it by thinking we will be in port on five days.

Their offer of $400 credit is pathetic . It only reminds me that I should have booked with RCL.

I’ll board tomorrow , but I’ll never book MSC again, and tell friends and family too.

Yes, they don’t have to offer any compensation, but I can also never book them again as well.

Armonia is far from an over crowded barge! and if you actually did some homework that would not form part of your comments. Why do you refuse to accept that the US government are to blame for this mess?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, sidari said:

I couldn't confirm the precise wording as we've not received any communication yet, our sailing is a few months away. I won't be arguing if it's not the policy, I was merely curious if it was an option anyone had experience of. I doubted it was an option.

I'm more than happy to book a further cruise 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sidari said:

Armonia is far from an over crowded barge! and if you actually did some homework that would not form part of your comments. Why do you refuse to accept that the US government are to blame for this mess?

Such a strange comment from someone who hadn't even sailed on Armonia yet!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EngIceDave said:

We enjoyed the Armonia

As did we - thoroughly!  We were treated so well by the crew, who were wonderful!  I believe that my review outlines this.  The ship is in amazing condition - especially considering her age.  You have to hand it to MSC - they really do look after their ships well.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, sidari said:

Yes normally i would agree. But Sidari this is MSC! you could call and be told no or you could call (or even call back) and be told yes 😉😉😉

Calling MSC is like playing the lottery. Sometimes you win and sometimes you dont 😂 and also like the lottery even that is a business that makes money 😉

Edited by Mattnvick

1 hour ago, Jellyfish21 said:

The only reason we booked the Armonia ( which sounds like an old, over crowded barge of a ship) was to visit Cuba. In fact, I rationalized booking it by thinking we will be in port on five days.

I can't tell if your post is just internet talk, or how you really feel. 

But if you do really feel this way about getting on the Armonia then would probably be better to cancel and apply the value to a different MSC cruise (hopefully on a ship you don't think is a barge).

• Like 5

You guys simply can't deny the fact that other cruise lines are doing a better job. Shaming other cruisers and shoving T&C on their faces don't change this fact. 

It would be karma when something happens to your cruise and you come to the board and be quoted the T&C like a bible. 

You will continue to get the short end of the stick if you don't try to fight for more customer protection. No cancelation, no refund of the deposit, mandatory DSC, the list goes on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thetaro said:

You guys simply can't deny the fact that other cruise lines are doing a better job. Shaming other cruisers and shoving T&C on their faces don't change this fact. 

It would be karma when something happens to your cruise and you come to the board and be quoted the T&C like a bible. 

You will continue to get the short end of the stick if you don't try to fight for more customer protection. No cancelation, no refund of the deposit, mandatory DSC, the list goes on. 

I think we will just agree to disagree.

Also  i think you will find that those of us that have replied saying basically it is what it is (and we are by no means MSC cheerleaders , realists possibly) when/if as you seem to hope we have a bad cruise (that was classy btw....😏)  instead of coming to the board and "whining" we just get on with our lives and chalk it up to a bad experience.

It happens sometimes and its called life. We accept it and dont come out fighting mad looking to place blame and expecting compensation. Its bad for the stress levels 😉

• Like 5

You just get the feeling Bea that MSC could (excuse my vulgarity) s**t bricks of gold and this person would find something negative about it.

They have already decided they hate MSC its a done deal. 

I get people are upset but to hate that much before you put a foot on the gangplank (ok not a gangplank  any more) 😉 is actually sad.

What is they say? a day at sea is better than a day at the office. Life is what you make it. 

Did you know that I:

1) booked this cruise last October?

2) booked the non refundable flights last November?

3) this barge commanded a premium because of Cuba? If I’m paying extra for filet mignon and are given hamburger, shouldn’t I get a reasonable refund?

3) MSC didn’t officially notify me of cancelling Cuba until last thurs night , three days before the sale date?

4) That even if I were to cancel right now , I’d only get back $400 plus port fees. Did you know that ? Did you?

Just because I’d rather spend four days in Jamaica , Mexico and Grand Cayman instead of losing $$$$ spent on airfare and cruise to have a pout, doesn’t mean I should be happy with it.

I paid for a first class air ticket that was later downgraded to coach with just a $50 refund , should I take it and go home or stay at the airport forever?

Sorry, but I’m  not some bright eye Cruise novice just happy to be on anything that floats. 

If the Armonia were sold with the itenary it has now , the only cruise cheaper would be a tire tube down a river.

Edited by Jellyfish21