Prescription Jail

august1963

1 hour ago, michigyrl said:

On one of my cruises, I was one of the "chosen" that had to do a complete customs inspection when leaving the ship. I've always carried a pill dispenser with me. They asked for my prescription bottles when they pulled the dispenser out of my purse. Of course, the bottles were sitting at home on my kitchen counter! 😣 Fortunately, they let me slide by with a warning. It is a requirement through customs. Should also say...I was not carrying  any narcotics of the sort.

that's odd, it's not on the CBP rules

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

that's odd, it's not on the CBP rules

I found the following on this website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. It is advised that you travel with no more than personal use quantities, a rule of thumb is no more than a 90 day supply.  If your medications or devices are not in their original containers, you must have a copy of your prescription with you or a letter from your doctor.  A valid prescription or doctors note is required on all medication entering the U.S. 

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) is responsible for pharmaceutical admissibility determinations. If you have any questions as to whether a specific pharmaceutical may be imported into the United States, please visit the FDA's website, or call (301) 796-0356.

If you are traveling with medical devices such as needles or oxygen tanks that could pose a security or safety concern to others, be sure to have a copy of the prescription for those items from your doctor. You should also contact the Transportation Security Administration about any additional requirements they may have.

Edited by michigyrl

one the Rx bottles is not a big deal, they are small. Taking the OTC bottles (15 of them, often bought in large Costco sizes, like the Calcium), is harder.  I'm thinking photographs of those might suffice.

2 hours ago, michigyrl said:

I found the following on this website: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

Can I travel with medications and medical devices, such as needles or oxygen tanks?

Prescription medications should be in their original containers with the doctor's prescription printed on the container. 

I underlined the key word in that guidance. Earlier in this thread, someone else pointed out the difference between should and shall. 

For a little background, I work in the industry that regulates and enforces federal law regarding maritime traffic including cruise ships.  The bottom line is, you are not required by federal law to carry medications in their original bottles.  You are, however, required to carry proof of prescription.  That can be the bottle or the labels.  Most pharmacies staple an extra label to the bag.

CBP and others do recommend they be in the bottles, mostly for easier identification.  But again, its not required.  So as long as proof is carried, folks are allowed to decide on their own how they want to carry them.

• Like 2

My husband is a physician and honestly I would only worry about this if it is a controlled substance... Adderall, certain pain pills, Xanax, Klonopin, etc.

I doubt anyone will give you grief over your blood pressure meds or the like. They probably just don't want people buying or selling "abused" prescription drugs on board and getting really messed up.

Also... I want to know how so many of y'all (other than the DEA agent) know so much about prescription drug law....🤔 

Y'all been googling to figure out how many z-bars you can take on spring break without getting arrested? (I kid. I kid.)