Prescription Jail

august1963

I was just reading some of the cruise rules.....they state that if you're bringing a prescription on board it has to be in it's original container.  Has anybody ever had trouble with this?  It's much easier to use my Sunday thru Saturday pill dispenser than it is to bring a bunch of bottles with me.  

I actually was questions when I DID bring them in their original containers. No questions when I didn't. Still, if it's something you can't do without I would bring them in their original containers just to be safe, as well as any controlled substances. 

• Like 1

As said if it isa controlled substance legally you cannot bring them not in the bottle with prescription. SO bring the bottle and then put them into your weekly container. You would probably have no problem if you brought the the other way bi=ut if for some reason their was a problem and a search (which is unlikely) that would be the problem.

• Like 1

I still bring mine in the original bottles.  I like the security of not having to worry if for some unknown reason we are delayed in returning home.  I take 8 different scripts and just carry them in a separate shaving kit.  I'll bet that those that were stuck on the Triumph during that ill fated cruise that had meds wish they had taken their full bottles with them.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

I pack my wifes in a 7 day dispenser and carry with me in my back pack carry on!

We do the same - but also carry the paper printout the pharmacy attaches to bag when we refill the perscriptions "just in case."  Have never had a problem and had to show the printout.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, yogibear said:

I've taken my prescriptions in the daily boxes for many years now.

I'm sure Security sees hundreds of these one-a-day pill boxes PER CRUISE

You and I are not the first, and will not be the last

but it can't hurt to take extra pills along in their original labelled containers

just to make sure!

DEA might be on board and they can be scary - lol

• Like 2

We don't have any prescription meds, but we do bring our OTC Nexium and multivitamins in their original bottles and then sort them into our pill boxes after we get on board. Probably not necessary to do so, but we live by the "Better safe than sorry" mindset. 

• Like 2

Carnival does not care for about your medications but Customs and the DEA as well as state authorities do care. They are on the outlook for people who bought narcotics in ports so I would follow the rules certainly with controlled drugs. Also I would never walk around in Mexico or other ports with unlabeled drugs where the police do not need probable cause to search a visitor and are on the lookout of an easy mark to shakedown. 

• Like 3

I took mine in a 7 day container and had no issues. Coming back into Galveston the Customs agent did ask "did you bring back any prescription drugs"?  I said, 'No". He said, " No amoxicillin?" I said, "no nothing" He then wished me a nice day.

Have had high blood pressure since 2015.  Not had a single problem at either customs or on the cruise ship with having meds in a per day dispenser.  Not in a couple of land based overseas vacation, either.  I do carry a photocopy of the label with me in case something happens.  But the original bottles are three month supplies from Express Scrips, and I would think traveling with that large an amount would actually be a bigger problem.

• Like 2

I don't know if there is a rule or not, but I can easily see how this could become a problem.  A person could stash any kind of narcotic in those boxes and say its their "prescription," and then sell it or abuse it themselves.  Better to bring the pill bottle with the prescription label.  Maybe a signed doctor's note saying it would be more efficient for the patient to travel with the pill box instead of the bottles might be ok.

I get that it is way easier to bring just the pill box, but I think you are playing with fire.

Just came off the Pride 3 weeks ago. I always take my meds and DH's in weekly pill boxes with no problem, or questions. I also have to take an injectable med and I carry it in an insulated bag in a carry-on bag. The only extra thing I did this time was to take a photo of the orig. bottles with the med. I've never brought the original bottles with me and I've never been questioned about the meds at check-in.

We just take ours in the daily pill box.  I do take pictures of the bottles to have on my phone just in case there are any  questions asked.  Have never had any questions.  Not going to take all the bottles with us unless is it absolutely necessary.

13 hours ago, midwestman said:

I don't know if there is a rule or not, but I can easily see how this could become a problem.  A person could stash any kind of narcotic in those boxes and say its their "prescription," and then sell it or abuse it themselves.  Better to bring the pill bottle with the prescription label.  Maybe a signed doctor's note saying it would be more efficient for the patient to travel with the pill box instead of the bottles might be ok.

I get that it is way easier to bring just the pill box, but I think you are playing with fire.

Customs can lookup every single medicine to identify it.

21 hours ago, meanjean80 said:

But the original bottles are three month supplies from Express Scrips, and I would think traveling with that large an amount would actually be a bigger problem.

So, leave what you need in the bottle and the rest stored at home.  Pretty simple solution.

I used to always put my meds - rx & otc in the daily pill boxes.  Now, however, I take rx in the pharmacy bottle with at least a 2 week supply if I am gone for a week.  The reason I started doing this is due to the possibility of a trip delay.  If I run out of vitamins, it's not life-threatening.  If I run out of blood pressure or thyroid meds, it's a bit more serious.  Also, with the prescription label, there is no doubt about what the medication is in the event I had to have a refill.  Certainly, if I were taking a controlled substance, I would always take it in the rx bottle.  My blood pressure meds were shipped in a large bottle.  I went to my local pharmacy with the bottle & they were able to label a small bottle for me.  I keep an empty set of labeled small bottles for my rx - just fill them with a couple weeks' worth of the appropriate medication when it's time to travel.  This way, I'm not taking a 90 day supply on vacation in a large bottle.  Also, by leaving some at home, if somehow the rx were left at the hotel or ship, I still have them at home.

• Like 2