Prescription Jail

august1963

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

For ANY narcotic pain meds, THE ORIGINAL PRESCRIPTION BOTTLE IS A MUST, and I would bet that THAT is the law.

Well, you would lose that bet. 

People really need need to stop posting false information like this. If you think it’s best to have the original bottles, fine. Your opinion, like everyone else, is valid. However, it is a fact that the bottles are not required by law. 

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 6:35 AM, meanjean80 said:

Have had high blood pressure since 2015.  Not had a single problem at either customs or on the cruise ship with having meds in a per day dispenser.  Not in a couple of land based overseas vacation, either.  I do carry a photocopy of the label with me in case something happens.  But the original bottles are three month supplies from Express Scrips, and I would think traveling with that large an amount would actually be a bigger problem.

We left the number needed for the trip (plus a few extra) in the original containers, and left the remainder at home. So while the containers are large, they are not loaded or heavy.

On 4/18/2019 at 4:26 AM, schazzy said:

We don't have any prescription meds, but we do bring our OTC Nexium and multivitamins in their original bottles and then sort them into our pill boxes after we get on board. Probably not necessary to do so, but we live by the "Better safe than sorry" mindset. 

That's what we do.  But, then, we usually take longer cruises, requiring us to bring more than what fits into a weekly holder. 

Sad to admit, but I take many meds.  Too many to just put them in a 7 day container and I don't want have more than one 7 day container.  So I just keep them in their original containers, put them in a large baggie and keep them with me in my carry on.  I just feel more comfortable doing it this way

On 4/18/2019 at 7:37 PM, fair-winds39 said:

The only extra thing I did this time was to take a photo of the orig. bottles with the med. I've never brought the original bottles with me and I've never been questioned about the meds at check-in.

This!

DH was hospitalized a few years ago and they needed a list of all his scripts... rather than write them all down I just took pictures of them. When we went on a cruise a year later, I still had them on my phone, and I figured if I needed to prove what they were I'd just produce the photos... now, every time we cruise, I just take a photo of all the recent prescription bottles.

So far, we've never been asked by anyone, Carnival or Customs...

On 4/21/2019 at 12:56 AM, aka-texas said:

Customs, DEA and State authorities do not care about a 7 day supply of your RX drugs. They wont even look twice at you. That is not what they are looking for. I know this, because I are one. 🙂 And why would you carry your RX drugs with you in port? That is not a good idea. Put them in your pill pack, leave them in your bathroom, and don't worry.

It is possible the poster may need to take medication at 4, 6 or 8 hourly intervals, so needs to bring the medication with them. I use a pharmacist packed Webster Pak to hold a week's supply and just arrange for a 2nd pack if I need it.

On 4/20/2019 at 10:32 AM, Aquahound said:

Negative.  There is no federal law in the United States requiring prescription meds be in the original containers.

Here is the info straight from CBP.  They say "should," not "shall."  Big difference.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1160/~/traveling-with-medication

How about a Texas state law? Any other states?

33 minutes ago, coevan said:

pretty sure Texas is in the U.S., some Texans might disagree

I think what they were trying to say, is that it might be ok federally to transport your prescriptions in different bottles.  But when you travel to and from the port, and are in Texas, you have to follow their laws. 

I don't know what Texas law states, but here in AZ, if you are have what are considered  "Controlled Dangerous Substances", you are supposed to carry them in their original bottle.  They probably would not do anything if you had them in your daily/weekly pill containers, but do you really want to be delayed when going to the port or on your way to the airport?

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 9:35 AM, Cruzaholic41 said:

Well, you would lose that bet. 

People really need need to stop posting false information like this. If you think it’s best to have the original bottles, fine. Your opinion, like everyone else, is valid. However, it is a fact that the bottles are not required by law. 

Well I would not worry about the DEA, NSA Or any other federal law enforcement in this case.....

But doodle on down the interstate here and get pulled over by barny fife and have pills that he ( thinks ) is a controlled substance that is not in the original pill bottle with script info on it...he can make your life miserable and delay you long past missing the boat! And that's a fact!

On 7/21/2019 at 3:12 PM, comiso13 said:

Sad to admit, but I take many meds.  Too many to just put them in a 7 day container and I don't want have more than one 7 day container.  So I just keep them in their original containers, put them in a large baggie and keep them with me in my carry on.  I just feel more comfortable doing it this way

Most of us frequent cruisers are of the age where we take three to five rounds of pills each day and take a bundle of those SMTWTHS pill boxes along! Thank G-d we lived long enough to require a little help.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:02 AM, august1963 said:

I was just reading some of the cruise rules.....they state that if you're bringing a prescription on board it has to be in it's original container.  Has anybody ever had trouble with this?  It's much easier to use my Sunday thru Saturday pill dispenser than it is to bring a bunch of bottles with me.  

Have ever has a problem. However if TSA and or customs on your return sees them, you could be delayed, until they verify what they are.

This thread has been around for quite a long time, and I know I must have answered before, but here I go again. 

Yes, I’m sure many of you have brought your pills in daily containers and have never had a problem, but as a retired RN, let me just say that the BEST way to always travel with prescription medication is in their ORIGINAL containers with the label intact. I always keep mine in a zip-lock baggie in my carry on tote. In case of any emergency, and if I’m unable to speak for myself, my hubby needs only to pull that baggie out to show any health professional my medication and correct dosages. I can’t tell you how awful it is, when doing an admission on a patient and they hand you a “daily container” when you ask for the names and dosages of their meds. This is not beneficial to the patient at all, and delays their care, as proper identification of those meds needs to happen. Then there is always the chance of needing to prove to any authority for whatever reason, the the drugs you have on you are legally prescribed. A slim chance, yes, I know, but always that chance. I do not know why anyone would just dump their meds in a plastic container that does not have the actual prescription label on them. Perhaps all my years in the medical field has influenced my decisions, and the general public doesn’t see the same importance as I do. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, midcarolina said:

Well I would not worry about the DEA, NSA Or any other federal law enforcement in this case.....

But doodle on down the interstate here and get pulled over by barny fife and have pills that he ( thinks ) is a controlled substance that is not in the original pill bottle with script info on it...he can make your life miserable and delay you long past missing the boat! And that's a fact!

How would Barney know you have prescriptions in the car?  If it got to that point, you must have done more than rolled a stop sign. 

2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

This thread has been around for quite a long time, and I know I must have answered before, but here I go again. 

Yes, I’m sure many of you have brought your pills in daily containers and have never had a problem, but as a retired RN, let me just say that the BEST way to always travel with prescription medication is in their ORIGINAL containers with the label intact. I always keep mine in a zip-lock baggie in my carry on tote. In case of any emergency, and if I’m unable to speak for myself, my hubby needs only to pull that baggie out to show any health professional my medication and correct dosages. I can’t tell you how awful it is, when doing an admission on a patient and they hand you a “daily container” when you ask for the names and dosages of their meds. This is not beneficial to the patient at all, and delays their care, as proper identification of those meds needs to happen. Then there is always the chance of needing to prove to any authority for whatever reason, the the drugs you have on you are legally prescribed. A slim chance, yes, I know, but always that chance. I do not know why anyone would just dump their meds in a plastic container that does not have the actual prescription label on them. Perhaps all my years in the medical field has influenced my decisions, and the general public doesn’t see the same importance as I do. 

That makes more sense because it’s an opinion based on your background, unlike the law comment you made earlier which is false. 

2 hours ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

How would Barney know you have prescriptions in the car?  If it got to that point, you must have done more than rolled a stop sign. 

I agree, you generally do not get searched for a traffic violation. 

On one of my cruises, I was one of the "chosen" that had to do a complete customs inspection when leaving the ship. I've always carried a pill dispenser with me. They asked for my prescription bottles when they pulled the dispenser out of my purse. Of course, the bottles were sitting at home on my kitchen counter! 😣 Fortunately, they let me slide by with a warning. It is a requirement through customs. Should also say...I was not carrying  any narcotics of the sort.

30 minutes ago, michigyrl said:

On one of my cruises, I was one of the "chosen" that had to do a complete customs inspection when leaving the ship. I've always carried a pill dispenser with me. They asked for my prescription bottles when they pulled the dispenser out of my purse. Of course, the bottles were sitting at home on my kitchen counter! 😣 Fortunately, they let me slide by with a warning. It is a requirement through customs. Should also say...I was not carrying  any narcotics of the sort.

And THIS is my case in point. Say what you want, people, but you should ALWAYS carry your prescription medication in their original bottles. I don’t care if you’ve never been asked to show them, there is that one chance that YOU will be the next random check. Be smart. How much more work does it take to carry your bottles in a zip lock bag?

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

And THIS is my case in point. Say what you want, people, but you should ALWAYS carry your prescription medication in their original bottles. I don’t care if you’ve never been asked to show them, there is that one chance that YOU will be the next random check. Be smart. How much more work does it take to carry your bottles in a zip lock bag?

You can push your OPINION all you want but it still doesn’t change the fact that no federal law saying so exists. If people don’t want to carry bottles, so be it. As long as they have the labels for proof of prescription, they are totally within the boundaries of the law. 

• Like 1