Disability Accessible cabins sleeping 4

sweetieweetie

Hard to find, but they do exist. The third person may need to be in a bunk or sofa bed, or even a roll-away. We did both on Princess, HAL, Celebrity, and RCCL ships. Crystal does not have any accessible cabins that sleep more than 2 people.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/accessible-staterooms

The link above lists all the RCI ships. If you click each ship you can see how many passengers each cabin holds. 

Just a quick note we have 3 person cabins and have to book the cabins 18-15 months in advance. 

I'm not sure if other lines have similar lists

We are in an accessible Sky Suite (not a family suite) on the Celebrity Equinox this fall and it says up to 4 people can stay in it.  Also, we have been in a Aqua Suite a few times also on the Equinox and the accessible rooms we have had also have a couch that looked like it could be made up into a bed.  

Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas (ocean view accessible) has the following:

Beds
  • Two twin beds that convert to a Royal King bed
  • One double sofa bed
  • Two Pullman beds
Size Stateroom: 315 sq. ft.
Occupancy Up to 6 guests

Accessible rooms for more than 2 people are available but take some research.  

We have gone on Holland America and Celebrity with my adult son and had regular cabins that were for 3 people. Never seen a handicapped cabin for 4. All have been balconies with a couch. 

Edited by rangeley

My family and I had an accessible room for 4 on Royal Caribbean's Oasis.  The room was large. It had a chair that folded out to a bed.  My youngest liked it but I only thought it was ok, to sleep on.  They brought in a roll away for the 4th person, which was folded up each morning.

We usually try to stay the 3 of us in one accessible room.

We've cruised Disney, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Carnival and Princess.

We've had mixed results - I highly recommend looking at the bed set up in each room before booking.

Royal Caribbean Voyager and Freedom class have an interior cabin that sleeps 4 - but beds 3 & 4 are a double couch (which is fine for 3 people but you'd better be sure that 2 people are comfortable sleeping together if you book for 4).

On Celebrity, the 3rd bed has most frequently been a pull out chair. On the M class ships it was like an old style pull out couch (just narrow like a chair); on the S class ship we cruised on, the fold out chair was terrible - it ended up being basically folded onto the floor so there was maybe 10 inches between you and the floor (the height of the thin, foldout mattress). We ended up getting a rollaway bed because we didn't want to sleep on the floor (and the rollaway took some convincing to get).

Disney has a fold down couch as the third bed in almost all of their accessible cabins but as a warning, their main bed is a true queen - it doesn't separate into 2 beds and it has a solid wooden frame which is a bit difficult for some people to get over.

Princess has their 3rd beds as drop down bunks until you get up to the mini suite level (so interiors, oceanview, and balconies all have bunks),

Carnival usually has bunks as their 3rd bed for interiors but oceanview and above will have the couch as the third bed (in most cases). The newer Carnival builds (or completed refurbished ships like the Sunrise) have many more options for sleeping 3 or 4 in an accessible cabin.

On NCL Jewel series (Gem, Jewel, Jade, Pearl), they have a very spacious one on deck 11 aft that we have used a few times. That was the most spacious one we had. We have also used them on Celebrity, Holland American, Princess and Royal Caribbean. Had a “modified” cabin on Carnival and do not recommend the “modified” cabins; it was a standard cabin with HC bathroom.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

I recently went on Celebrity Silhouette and stayed in an accessible concierge cabin that slept 3 people. The deck plan showed that it had a sofa bed, but the room we were in had the sofa (two seater) near the balcony with the bed near the bathroom, our stateroom attendant explained that the sofa did not convert to a bed because the floor near the balcony is sloped to allow access to the balcony. We were provided with a single sized roll-away bed that went in between the bathroom and the queen bed. The space in between the two beds was only as wide as the bedside table. The bathroom door is on an angle into the room and the roll-away bed stuck out a little bit beyond the corner of the wall. It was not enough to prevent opening the door, but seeing as the door only swings open 90 degrees, I am not sure if you could get a wheelchair into the bathroom with the bed setup like this. I am able to walk around in the room so I never tried. Perhaps if the person in need of the room is a full-time wheelchair user, they can arrange the furniture differently.

Some other notes about the room:

- They described the room as having no threshold, but there was still a transition and I found myself having to tip my manual chair back at least a little bit to get the front wheels to clear it.

- We asked (once onboard) about getting a third chair for the balcony unfortunately we were told they did not have any extras so I used my wheelchair if we all wanted to sit on the balcony. The balcony was large enough that there was still space for the other two people to enter and exit as they pleased even with two loungers, the table, and my manual chair there.

- One issue with the balcony is that the slope is long enough that I could not open or close the door myself while in my chair as I would have to be on the slope to reach and would then roll back. It may have been possible to put my brakes on and do it, but it was easier to have someone help me. You also have to be careful not to get caught in the curtains, especially if it is windy.

- I had read other posts warning that water would get all over the bathroom when having a shower, particularly while at sea, because there is no lip to contain it. We had some days with fairly heavy rolling and did not find this to be an issue at all as long as you kept the shower head pointed mostly towards the wall.

- The only difficulty with the shower is that the spot to put your toiletries is on the opposite wall from the seat and somewhat high up. I had to stand and take a step or two to reach it, which may not work for everybody.

Sorry for the long post, but I hope this information is helpful to some!

• Like 1

I have been on the NCL Jade twice (balcony cabins 9148 and 9648). Both are accessible cabins. I had the main bed, which could sleep two, plus a fold out chair and a wall-mounted bunk. It would be a tight fit for four, but do-able. I am in a scooter and found 9148 to be easier to enter and exit from the elevator lobby.

Please note that accessible cabins 9150 and 9650 on the same ship have a pole (looks like a stripper pole) in the middle of the cabin, which limits movement, especially if you are 100% wheelchair-bound. I know that an older couple and their teenage son were able to maneuver in 9150, but it was very tough. I didn't meet them until halfway through the trip or I would have offered to switch cabins as I was alone.

I found a picture I took of 9148. I was sitting on the pullout chair. You can see the wall-mounted bed if you look in the mirror behind the big bed. My scooter was directly to the right of where I was sitting, between the chair and the bathroom. The balcony was to my left.

20190428_smug.PNG

I just booked today a Southern Caribbean cruise for 2021 with RC and found an accessible cabin for 4. Not easy to find, but I did. Lots of dates didn't have any accessible rooms available but I was able to find one for 4. This is where I like having a TA book for me because they also have access to more than what I do but our TA is on a cruise so... Good luck!