Dedicated Crew Members in Solo Lounges

runner2013

Hello all,

I've been thinking of doing a solo cabin on the Epic and was curious if there are 'dedicated' crew members for the solo lounge who 'plan' activities, excursions, etc for us folks. Anyone have any info they can pass along would be much appreciated.

I've sailed solo several times on different ships, including NCL, but this will be my first time in a Studio room with the attached lounge.

Thanks

9 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

Hello all,

I've been thinking of doing a solo cabin on the Epic and was curious if there are 'dedicated' crew members for the solo lounge who 'plan' activities, excursions, etc for us folks. Anyone have any info they can pass along would be much appreciated.

I've sailed solo several times on different ships, including NCL, but this will be my first time in a Studio room with the attached lounge.

Thanks

It’s been a few years since I did a solo specific cabin, so maybe there have been some changes.  But, it seemed the solo co-ordinator was more of a “funnel” to have the solos make their own plans together, if that makes sense.

There was a white board in the solo lounge where some would leave notes for meeting places and times.

There was a daily “meet and mingle” time for an hour or so where you could have cocktails together in the solo lounge.

But, it’s really not all that structured, and it was up to us to make our own reservations for joint dinners, entertainment, etc!

Have fun!

I was on the Escape in a Studio cabin last April and every day around 5pm there was a solo coordinator in the lounge.  She was there to help with dinner and show reservations for that night.  Besides that she really didn't do much else.  Matter of fact one older man actually made her cry as he thought she should have been doing more for us.  I had to remind him that she was just there to coordinate and help out with those activities and she really didn't have any "pull".  He was mad that a dinner show was sold out and that we had to stand in the "no show" line in case the seats opened up.  He felt that she should have done more but it wasn't her fault at all.

There is a solo host - but they're not hanging out in the lounge all day. They'll write up on the whiteboard things like the nightly happy hour, the time they reserved for dinner, and if they reserved a show that day (the free venues/shows). One sailing I saw people signing up and another not. I don't recall anything about excursions - though I did meet others in the studios and went on one excursion with them. 

They basically try to facilitate other solos meeting each other. As said above, they're not designed to help out with any of the things you have to pay extra for - specialty dining, specialty shows, excursions, etc. 

I don't sail on Epic until March so I don't know if they have a bar in the lounge, but the Getaway had one and one or two of the happy hours were in the lounge. But it was a very reduce options there. 

1 hour ago, robin13 said:

Matter of fact one older man actually made her cry as he thought she should have been doing more for us.  I had to remind him that she was just there to coordinate and help out with those activities and she really didn't have any "pull". 

Maybe NCL needs to develop a new category Solo Haven, Butler, Concierge and all 😁

Hi all!

I've been in the studio cabins a few times & found the solo hosts vary a great deal! One we had Jose, went above & beyond, we painted tshirts for the white party, played Boggle & other games. He had a movie night for us in a conference room, came with us to dinners, arranged for us to sit in the theatre in front of where the Haven guests sit. He was the Best!!

Most I've had have arranged for dinners, even specialty restaurants & seating for shows in the theatre. A schedule is often written on a whiteboard in the lounge so you know what to expect during the week. There's always a little get together & those who want to dine together go.

Hope you get a good one, it can make a big difference.

~ Jo ~😊

I sailed solo on Escape last May and each night, all the solo travelers met in the lounge. The host arranged for seating for the group at the Taste dining room each night. They also arranged for group seating at one of the other, larger dining rooms. The host also arranged for group seating at one of the shows. 

As for excursions, everyone pretty much does their own thing. I would think that if there's a shore excursion that several group members want to do, the host might be able to help with that. 

I'm traveling solo, but I am not in one of the solo rooms.  Are the solo activities posted anywhere besides the Solo Lounge (which I'm assuming I would not be allowed in)?  I would be interested in joining some of the activities, especially if they have group seating dinners.

9 minutes ago, jcscv said:

I'm traveling solo, but I am not in one of the solo rooms.  Are the solo activities posted anywhere besides the Solo Lounge (which I'm assuming I would not be allowed in)?  I would be interested in joining some of the activities, especially if they have group seating dinners.

I am curious about this as well.

34 minutes ago, jcscv said:

Even if you are noting staying in a Studio room solo travelers are welcome to attend the nightly happy hour that is held in the Studio Lounge.   If it is held somewhere other than the lounge the location will be posted in the dailies.

• Like 1

I just sailed on the Bliss as a solo. It was a two week cruise. The host printed out schedules for each of the weeks and planned times for the group to go to laser tag,  race cars and other activities. After signing in with our room numbers the first day, he automatically booked us into Jersey Boys and Havana as a group. Every night there was a group dinner planned in one of the dining rooms. I went some nights and skipped others.

I was not in a solo cabin. Every night at 5 p.m. the lounge door was unlocked so everyone could have access during the meeting time. This was a time just to mingle and a bartender circulated for drink orders. Dinner was usually set for 5:30 p.m.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, runner2013 said:

Hello all,

Thanks

They’re not totally dedicated, but there is one person for the duration of the cruise who takes care of the solo activities and bookings all week, but they are also part of the general entertainment staff, so when they're not working the solo lounge, you’ll see them working events, game shows, karaoke, etc. 

On 4/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, jcscv said:

The group seating dinners are usually a little early. They do have the sheets posted but they’re in the studio lounge, so you’ll need to come in during solo hour to see them or ask a crew/passenger to let you in during the other times. You can avail yourself of all the studio activities even if you’re not staying there, I see it happen all the time. 

• Like 1

On 4/20/2019 at 12:14 PM, jcscv said:

There is usually an hour every evening for "solos",   where all are welcome.     Dinners are usually available,   but likely will be early-  6:30pm  or earlier 

• Like 1