Fall transition cruise on HAL

Kate45

Doing HALs transition from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale this October. Haven't been able to get much info on HALs website regarding shore excursions yet. Actually, don't even know where we dock in NYC other than I believe I read somewhere either Manhattan or Brooklyn(?). Wouldn't they know by now where in NYC they are docking?  As hubby has never been to NYC and I was there when I was a kid, what are your suggestions for must see things. We are there from 8-6. Also, anyone know when shore excursions will be available to book thru the cruise line or is this a port that we can do on our own?  Thanks so much!  

Posting this on the HAL boards could be helpful.  There might be a roll call for it, too.

We did the northbound last year on Veendam, and really enjoyed it.  Will you be on Veendam, October 12? That's the only one I see, and it does not show any NY stop.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:03 PM, Kate45 said:

Doing HALs transition from Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale this October. Haven't been able to get much info on HALs website regarding shore excursions yet. Actually, don't even know where we dock in NYC other than I believe I read somewhere either Manhattan or Brooklyn(?). Wouldn't they know by now where in NYC they are docking?  As hubby has never been to NYC and I was there when I was a kid, what are your suggestions for must see things. We are there from 8-6. Also, anyone know when shore excursions will be available to book thru the cruise line or is this a port that we can do on our own?  Thanks so much!  

Wife and I are in process to book this same cruise.  We are planning to spend 3 nts in Montreal, drive to QC and stay there 3 nts before the cruise since we have not done either before by ourselves.

We both have been to NYC several times both together and for separate events/visits so can suggest several options.  She is now in the room as I type and immediately suggested that you look at the Grey Line Tour that includes the highlights of the city and a visit to the Statue of Liberty.  The town is so big that unless you have specific goals and some tolerance for using the subway, you can easily get VERY frustrated.

Wife was there once when the President was in town at the U.N. and the city was essentially gridlocked on the surface streets.

Are you on the Zuiderdam or Veendam itinerary?  If on the Zuiderdam like we will be, let's keep in touch via the specific Zuiderdam page for the Roll Call for this cruise that appears to be currently very sparsely attended.

Edited by OBX-Cruisers
Addition of specific ship
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

We are planning to spend 3 nts in Montreal, drive to QC and stay there 3 nts before the cruise since we have not done either before by ourselves.

I would Take the Train  from Montreal to QC.  Both cities are quite walkable, with the train stations in a good location, and you really do not need a car.  Plus, you will need nerves of steel to drive in either city.  Just a thought.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I would Take the Train  from Montreal to QC.  Both cities are quite walkable, with the train stations in a good location, and you really do not need a car.  Plus, you will need nerves of steel to drive in either city.  Just a thought.

Yes, take the train! We took a morning train from Montreal to QC, and went in first class. They served us a nice breakfast as we relaxed and watched the scenery go by. Amtrak could take some lessons from VIA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, take the train! We took a morning train from Montreal to QC, and went in first class. They served us a nice breakfast as we relaxed and watched the scenery go by. Amtrak could take some lessons from VIA.

I agree that the VIA Rail experience Is far different than Amtrak.  First Class on VIA is definitely first class.  And so much less stressful than driving!

2 hours ago, OBX-Cruisers said:

We are planning to spend 3 nts in Montreal, drive to QC and stay there 3 nts before the cruise since we have not done either before by ourselves.

While I agree with others that the train ride between Montréal and Québec City is very pleasant, I too would rent a car and drive. While the cores of both cities are indeed quite walkable, each has areas that would be difficult to visit without a car or other form of transportation. You might want to walk for the first day or two in Montréal, rent a car for the last full day there, then drive to Québec City the following day. Then do the reverse in Québec City, using the car the next day to visit places like the Montmorency Falls and perhaps a drive around Île d'Orléans. A couple of years ago on a Boston-Montréal cruise on the Maasdam we rented a car in Québec City and did exactly that.

I've driven in both cities and between both cities countless times. While driving on Montréal's la Métropolitaine during rush hour isn't for the faint of heart, a competent driver should have no problems driving in either city. For your drive to Québec City, you have the choice of taking the north shore on Hwy 40 E or the south shore on Hwy 20 E. The former is shorter and more interesting but takes a bit longer. The latter is a separated multi-lane highway that is longer, quicker, but quite boring.

For something a little different, We love the tenement museum on the lower east side.  You need to schedule a tour; its not a typical museum.  If you like walking, it is about 35 minute walk from there to the 9/11 memorial or in the other direction to the Brooklyn bridge.  

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

I agree that the VIA Rail experience Is far different than Amtrak.  First Class on VIA is definitely first class.  And so much less stressful than driving!

I also agree that the train is a great experience. I did an afternoon train from Montreal to QC. The train terminal was just a couple of blocks away from the cruise terminal, and the cab took only a few minutes. The service, business class, was great and it was very relaxing.

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

I also agree that the train is a great experience. I did an afternoon train from Montreal to QC. The train terminal was just a couple of blocks away from the cruise terminal, and the cab took only a few minutes. The service, business class, was great and it was very relaxing.

Reading your post, I realize that we were in business class. The car was marked BUSINESS and AFFAIRES, which we found amusing--so is the trip business or pleasure? (and before anyone posts to correct my ignorance, yes I know affaires is French for business)

Adding to our delight with this train was the contrast with our train to Montreal, Amtrak's "Adirondak," which is possibly the worst train Amtrak runs. 

L1110119.JPG

L1110117.JPG