Taxi cabs in Stockholm

treasurer

Hi Cruisers,

We will be flying in and out of Stockholm, to and from the Marina in June.  We are wondering if taxis are readily available and if they take credit cards.  Do any of you know how far it is from airport to cruise terminal?  Are the cabs metered?   Thanks for any information you can give us.

Yes, the taxis take credit cards and are metered but I strongly advise you prebook your pickup in advance from the cruise terminal.  When we debarked also in June from Marina, the taxi line was huge, very few taxis were arriving but ours pulled up exactly at the time we had requested.  I cannot remember the name of the taxi company we used but I had read the advice to prebook and taxi company name on the CC Scandinavian ports of call board.

Edited by CintiPam

9 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I suggest you look into taking the Arlanda Express out to ARN for your flight.  Takes about 20 minutes, runs about $20 per person and is the fastest way from Stockholm to ARN.

That is fine, but with luggage in tow, they would still need a cab from the ship to the Exoress.

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

That is fine, but with luggage in tow, they would still need a cab from the ship to the Exoress.

So?

I've often taken taxis to get to airport train stations.  Hong Kong is another example.  Tokyo too.  And Amsterdam.

38 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So?

I've often taken taxis to get to airport train stations.  Hong Kong is another example.  Tokyo too.  And Amsterdam.

I'm probably  more of a hothouse flower than you are, but once I'm settled in the cab with the luggage, I'm not likely to make a change of venue unless the price difference is more significant than it would be in Stockholm.

When we did the Baltic last summer, we used TravelBound, booked by our TA, for transfer from airport to hotel; as we wanted to spend a few days in Stockholm before the cruise.  Our luggage did not make the connection in Amsterdam; so we spent nearly an hour at customer service before we exited Customs to meet our driver.  He was still there, with a smile.  Can't say enough wonderful things about the service and our driver.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

So?

I do like the Arlanda Express and use it a lot, but in this case from the port to the airport it would not be a good option. With the new tunnel from the port you are at the highway to the airport in no time, to go into the trainstation first would just be a waste of time for very little money saved!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Taxi to and from cruise terminal and airport in Stockholm.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  If you book a taxi before hand, does your travel agent do it or do you just go on line and contact the company?  How do you know what time you will be ready to leave the airport?  Do you just assume an hour or 1 1/2 hour after arrival?  Does the driver come in  to find you with your name on a sign?  If you just go outside the airport to find a taxi, is it totally chaotic?

Thanks all.

I have never asked my TA to book transport for me.  That's not to say she would not do it!  But for me, I go online and find a service.  Guessing the pickup time can be a problem but a "real" company will be checking as well and will know if your flight is late or early.  Private transports usually DO have a sign with your name.  In crowded airports/seaports it can be hard to find the guy holding your name card!  We had a problem at the Rome Airport a couple of years ago -- I had to call the hotel that had provided the service in order to find our guy, but we did.  For once I had a working phone in Europe which WAS a help!

OTOH, in other airports/seaports it's not been a problem at all.

DO give your car service your flight number, your ship name, etc.  They will need that info.  They don't want to guess!  For example, we booked a car to pick us up at the Venice Seaport last May and he was there before we could leave.

As to Stockholm, it's many years since we left a cruise there.  We had no problem getting a cab (and yes, they took credit cards even) but I couldn't swear that you will have no problem given that our cruise left Stockholm in May 2001!

Generally when I do a search online for a car service it depends on my port.  But Rideway.com has been helpful once or twice ... Go online and search, find the rate you want and check their ratings.  Trip Advisor is one source for that.

Mura

20 hours ago, treasurer said:

Taxi to and from cruise terminal and airport in Stockholm.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  If you book a taxi before hand, does your travel agent do it or do you just go on line and contact the company?  How do you know what time you will be ready to leave the airport?  Do you just assume an hour or 1 1/2 hour after arrival?  Does the driver come in  to find you with your name on a sign?  If you just go outside the airport to find a taxi, is it totally chaotic?

Thanks all.

From Arlanda to the port it´s not necessary to prebook a Taxi as it´s only Taxicompanies that have an agreement with the airport that that are allowed in their queue and it will be plenty of Taxis. But as the taximarket is not regulated in Sweden so to be sure that your not scamed I will suggest to contact the Taxi rank officer and tell him that you want a taxi from https://www.taxistockholm.se/en/ or https://www.taxikurir.se/ or https://www.sverigetaxi.se/ as they are the largest and most reliable companies, there is nothing that says you have to pick the firs cab in line, you are totally free to choose company from the queue. Some  information about taxis from Arlanda Aiport https://www.swedavia.com/arlanda/taxi/?_ga=2.20244984.1500192135.1557335941-523593190.1531201684

Port to Airport is another story, there I will strongly recomend to prebook a taxi from one of the companies above as it can be chaotic and it´s a much bigger chance that you will get in a car that overcharge you!

• Like 1

Thank you.  It does sound more convenient to just go outside and select a taxi from  a reputable company.  Maybe the conceirge on  the ship can help us book one ahead of time when we are leaving the ship for the airport.  At home we usually use Uber or Lyft.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I haven't got phone service abroad so don't think I can do it.  I wouldn't really use my phone except for that so don't think it would be worth it.  I do like Uber since they give you the price before hand and no money is excahnged.  It is much simpler than taxi negotiations.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for all your help.  Think we will just take a taxi from one of the suggested companiies.  We will ask if there is a set rate--airport to cruise port and cruise port to airport.  I forgot to ask if tips are expected.  We will be paying by credit card.  In NYC we get a screen where you can add a tip.  Are tips expected and is it handled by the credit card screen total?  Thanks again.  We leave next week.

21 hours ago, treasurer said:

Thanks everyone for all your help.  Think we will just take a taxi from one of the suggested companiies.  We will ask if there is a set rate--airport to cruise port and cruise port to airport.  I forgot to ask if tips are expected.  We will be paying by credit card.  In NYC we get a screen where you can add a tip.  Are tips expected and is it handled by the credit card screen total?  Thanks again.  We leave next week.

They will get you a set rate if you ask for it. In Sweden tips is not expected like in US but in restaurants and taxis a little tip is not unusual, so if you are happy with the service 5-10% tip would do just fine. You will be able to ad your tip when you pay with your credit card.

We disembarked Marina in Stockholm in June of 2017.   Stayed on the ship too long and the line had grown considerably. There were several young men trying to make a few bucks by insisting on loading the taxis . They slowed everything down. we were an hour.

Didn’t matter too much as we stayed overnight in the city. If you are going directly to the airport, get off earlier, prebook transportation or be prepared to wait. To prebook, google will tell you how.