When to tip

6 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Ice twice a day was standard service until RCI decided it would be by request only. Did that cut back in work also lead to a cut back in the recommended daily gratuity?

I don't get extra anything and still tip extra just because. These tipping threads never lead to anything productive.

Correct. Ice used to be standard, now it isn't.  No, it didn't cut the daily recommended tip.  But the daily recommended tip hasn't really gone up much since we first started cruising in 1998.  And I believe that they have cut the staff.  Don't know for sure, but seems that way. 

By the way, over on Carnival you only get the room serviced once a day.  You choose morning or night, but you an request twice a day service. And NO, they didn't cut their gratuities either. 

I appreciate how hard these people work, and how long they're away from family.  So I don't begrudge something as simple as ice not standard if it makes the job a bit easier.  Since I ask for what is now considered "extra," I tip extra.  If you don't want to, don't.  I couldn't actually care much less.  

12 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

I appreciate how hard these people work, and how long they're away from family.  So I don't begrudge something as simple as ice not standard if it makes the job a bit easier.  Since I ask for what is now considered "extra," I tip extra.  If you don't want to, don't.  I couldn't actually care much less.  

Pretty much sums up my feeling. I have worked for tips and I have worked at sea (fortunately not both at the same time). 

• Like 1