Kettle "taste"

wenlyn

Hi hope someone can help. We're sailing later today, yay! I was thinking as I've woken early due to excitement about the fact I find the kettle seem to taste of descaler even after I've boiled it a couple of times. I'm sure I read a comment on here where someone suggested boiling something in the kettle to take the taste away but despite several variations of searches I've had no luck. Google only tells me how to descale a kettle & not how to get rid of the chemical aftertaste so I'm hoping someone might read this before we board & I can get the necessary supplies!

Wenlyn, 

I just use a couple spoons of white vinegar in a kettle of water and the throw out the water, boil a second kettle and dump it too. The next should taste fine. But, is it for home or on board? We will have them in our cabins. See you at the Commodore on Monday morning.

AG

2 hours ago, Stella1250 said:

Perhaps a bit of baking soda boiled in the kettle for a few minutes and then cleaned by boiling fresh water. Baking soda is known to remove odors and flavors, and would be pretty easy to transport.

Just put it in a plastic bag and take it through security !

Well, I can only say that the kettle in my stateroom hadn't a funny taste at all. Nor did the tea made with the water from the kettle. I hope Wenlyn had the same experience too.

Edited by AzureGreen23

3 hours ago, AzureGreen23 said:

Well, I can only say that the kettle in my stateroom hadn't a funny taste at all. Nor did the tea made with the water from the kettle. I hope Wenlyn had the same experience too.

It's not clear in their post if they were referring to 'their own travel kettle' ?  ( which they shouldn't take on any cruise ship)  It would help if they came back to clarify, considering all the above suggestions that have been posted .  

On 4/28/2019 at 5:39 AM, wenlyn said:

Hi hope someone can help. We're sailing later today, yay! I was thinking as I've woken early due to excitement about the fact I find the kettle seem to taste of descaler even after I've boiled it a couple of times. I'm sure I read a comment on here where someone suggested boiling something in the kettle to take the taste away but despite several variations of searches I've had no luck. Google only tells me how to descale a kettle & not how to get rid of the chemical aftertaste so I'm hoping someone might read this before we board & I can get the necessary supplies!

Isn't that what Cunard provide the Pol Acker for?  😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies I have to say I am pleased to report there was no funny tang to the kettle this time so perhaps we've just been unlucky in the past. Sorry for not responding sooner have had limited email access and haven't been getting mailing list updates.

(It is the Cunard kettle I would never take my own electrics)

• Like 1