Transgendered in Myanmar

birdyrobin

I have always wanted to do a River Cruise in Myanmar.  I found RV Kalaw Pandaw which sounds like a wonderful ship.  My spouse (trans female) says that LGBTQ are not welcome in Myanmar.  Is this the case?  We have been to Vietnam/Cambodia/Thailand with not one problem, but we will not go if we will be unwelcome.   Any one know about this Country or this Cruise Line?

birdyRobin

54 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

You have posted this question to the board for people that need help with the forums. You should post in the Myanmar ports of call forum.

There isn't lot about Myanmar anywhere here. In the Asian ports of call they probably only talk about Yang on,  there might be a bit on the River Cruising forum. For the most information, I would suggest Trip Advisor.

I did a river cruise in Myanmar, but I can't comment  on LGBTQ affairs.

I have sent same sex couple clients (not trans) to Myanmar, and they did not have an issue with any sort of confrontation or hostility. They did maintain a low profile though. The larger cities have areas where LGBT gather and are more open, as would be expected. Below is the government's position. 

Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights in Myanmar are subject to official persecution and discrimination, with LGBT residents facing legal and social challenges not experienced by other citizens. Same-sex sexual activity is illegal and section 377 of the national Penal Code subjects same-sex sexual acts (regardless of whether they were consensual or done in private) to a term of imprisonment from ten years to life. Transgender people are subject to police harassment and sexual assault, and their gender is not recognised by the state.[2] During the country's long military dictatorship under the authoritarian State Peace and Development Council it was difficult to obtain accurate information about the legal or social status of LGBT Burmese citizens. Following the 2011–2015 Myanmar political reforms, improvements in media and civil freedoms have allowed LGBT people to gain more visibility and support in the country.[3][4][5] Despite the 2015 electoral victory of Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy, which promised improved human rights, there have been no changes to anti-LGBT laws.[2]