Princess Inventory game?

jimmieg

3 hours ago, memoak said:

My PVP is wonderful - she calls and e-mails me whenever a sale comes up that might save me money - she has become pretty much a friend to us

That's great but I bet she doesn't give you back at least 7% of your cruise fare from her commission and if you run into a problem at night or on a weekend, I bet she won't be there for you.  But, if you're happy, that's all that matters.  :classic_wink:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

I have never had an issue that could  not wait till day time or over a weekend -does your TA check every new sale and call you with updates and no charge to change promos ?

Absolutely.  If Princess allows the change, there is no reason for a TA to charge someone to change promos.  It's more work for the TA but that's how you keep good customers.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

5 hours ago, TSM AND JP said:

Oh my gosh.  This is also what has happened to me.  I am booked on a 20 day Caribbean cruise next January.  I wanted a cabin on Riviera aft.  Only rooms available are on Aloha, so I am booked on Aloha.  However when I look at the two 10 day segments, there are lots of rooms available on Riviera aft.  So frustrating.  

We have been able to pick one of those rooms that are not available for the 10 day and have it pulled from inventory to book by our TA. 

16 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

We have been able to pick one of those rooms that are not available for the 10 day and have it pulled from inventory to book by our TA. 

We originally booked through the future cruise desk while onboard our last cruise.  They said the other rooms were only available for the 10 day sailings, not the 20.  When we got home, we mentioned it to our TA, and she was unable to access the other rooms that we wanted for us.  I just looked again today, many rooms available where we want on both 10 day sailings, but not available for the 20 day.  Sad.   But, now the price has also gone up, so I guess that would be another issue.  Guess we will have to be happy with where we are.   At least we'll be cruising!  

26 minutes ago, TSM AND JP said:

We originally booked through the future cruise desk while onboard our last cruise.  They said the other rooms were only available for the 10 day sailings, not the 20.  When we got home, we mentioned it to our TA, and she was unable to access the other rooms that we wanted for us.  I just looked again today, many rooms available where we want on both 10 day sailings, but not available for the 20 day.  Sad.   But, now the price has also gone up, so I guess that would be another issue.  Guess we will have to be happy with where we are.   At least we'll be cruising!  

I didn’t say the TA had access to them.

She was able to speak with someone at Princess who was able to secure the cabin.

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I didn’t say the TA had access to them.

She was able to speak with someone at Princess who was able to secure the cabin.

That's exactly what our TA (in post #2) did successfully.

Ok, so here comes my "contrarian" post about the entire approach embraced by the OP.   Like the OP I am addicted to cruising and have far more then 1000 days on ships since the mid-70s.  Even in our old age we still manage to cruise over 100 days in some years :).  But, IMHO, the OP is making multiple mistakes which empowers the cruise line.  "Loyalty" to a cruise line is nutz!  Spread your wings, try some variety, ship around for the best deals, have fun!  And certainly do not book directly with any cruise line...which really limits your options to deal with real cruise professionals as opposed to cruise line employees who sit in their little cubicles reading their scripts.  

Do the cruise line web sits sometimes only show some inventory!  We sure think so.  There are times we can look at availability on a cruise line web site, and then look at the inventory on some decent cruise agencies web sites.  And guess what, not only do some cruise agencies have better prices and/or amenities such as OBCs, but they show lots of available cabins that you cannot see on the cruise line site.  

On Princess and other lines there are also cabins that only show for certain segments but not for every segment.  But if you use a decent cruise agency they can often work their magic and get an "accommodation."  Other times it does not happen, but the reality is that a good cruise/travel agent is working for YOU...not the cruise line.  The really good high volume cruise agencies have a lot of clout with the cruise lines whereas a reservations clerk sitting in their little cubicle just reads what is on their monitor.  

So my message to the OP is get out of your tiny niche and expand your horizons in terms of dealing with multiple cruise agencies and multiple cruise lines.  Princess is a fine line (they are one of the 16 upon which we have cruised) but so are their competition.   When you make a "choice" to limit your options you get exactly what you seek.....LIMITED OPTIONS.

Hank

On 5/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, Hlitner said:

So my message to the OP is get out of your tiny niche and expand your horizons in terms of dealing with multiple cruise agencies and multiple cruise lines.  Princess is a fine line (they are one of the 16 upon which we have cruised) but so are their competition.   When you make a "choice" to limit your options you get exactly what you seek.....LIMITED OPTIONS.

Hank

Thanks for taking the time to respond, Hank.  But...

1. I have cruised 5 lines, though narrowed to Princess and Celebrity as they offer the experience we prefer when things are operating well. 

2. I deal with multiple agencies.  My remark about loyal was just to indicate my status did not open any doors, as it did when I had high status with an airline.

3. Choices for 14 days in Alaska in August are limited.  Seaborne is another choice, but not necessary for me at their price point. That's a personal choice. The Princess price was right, but not under the buffet or over the theatre.

4. Only went directly to Princess to see if I could accomplish what the agent couldn't. Nope.

5. I've never made a certain cruise a must have.  If I get it fine, if not I see another one I like some other time.

6. They're betting they will sell their better rooms 7 days at a time, I'm betting they won't. They have software on their side. I have patience on mine.

I often treat the hunt as a challenge, but I don't win every time.  It's a cheap hobby.

7. You've got 3x more days at sea than me, but I'm trying to catch up.😉

Thanks again!