June 30th. Sailing New York to Canada

Jeffrey1950

Haven't done this one, although we will be on it this year.  We have done 2 TAs-- 7 days at sea.  Loved it.  Plenty to do on ship.  If you like to read its an undisturbed opportunity for catching up.  Or dozing by the pool.  No yard work, no cooking, no cleaning up, no major decisions to make other than what to choose from the menu--or, mainly for women, what to wear to dinner. 

We have done several of these annual Independence Day cruises both on the QE2 and now the QM2.

Good opportunity for Americans to cruise Cunard on a rare 7 night NYC r/t sailing,

A bit pricy but sometimes have Flash rates after Final for new bookings only.

Lots of Americans onboard .

Go for it !

I have done three Transatlantic and two to the Caribbean my third will be this Nov. I just wanted to have a short getaway. As for shining better on longer trips if I am correct this particular cruise originates in Southampton does the seven days over and then back to Southampton again. I notice the fares have come down so I think I might just go for it- sure beats sitting in an office. Thanks everyone for your replies...

We're on this cruise. We did a 5 day Memorial Day cruise five years ago. It was a great little jaunt and great to be back onboard the magnificent QM2. It was short and not exactly like a "normal" cruise on her (nor a crossing, of course).  However, at 7 days, that's a regular-length cruise on many itineraries, I'm expecting the full QM2 experience (albeit with lots of red tops aboard).

The bonus of this one is that it spends an overnight in Boston on July 4. (I'm told that you can see the fireworks from the Back Bay from aboard).

We're traveling with a gay group, Pied Piper, which I estimate should have about 50-100 passengers. There may be a larger-than-normal gay contingent as the cruise leaves on the Sunday that caps Pride Week which will commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots which is seen as the start of the modern gay rights movement. (The bar is still there in Greenwich Village). ...fortunately, the parade should not interfere with transportation to the pier on the 30th. (The pier is in Brooklyn, the parade is in Manhattan - and easily navigated around.)

• Like 1

We did this trip several years ago on a lark-- hadn't been on QM2 for a few years and decided to just go for it. I remember in the past this sailing was a little shorter-- 5-6 days so maybe they lengthened it slightly. 

Its a good chance to see the ship-- there are enough sea days to enjoy her but nothing like a transat. Halifax I frankly feel is a bit dull. I used to live in Boston so that was a bit of a busmans holiday but we had fun running around town to some former haunts. That year there was a hurricane brewing off the coast so QM2 actually left Boston early-- late in the afternoon on the night we were supposed to overnight for the fireworks. We rode it out at sea which actually was more fun than we would have had staying in Boston. 

Would I do the trip again? Most likely not-- unless they added a more interesting Canadian port. Are we happy we got a chance to sail QM2 on a year that we otherwise wouldnt have? Yep. 

On 5/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, Jeffrey1950 said:

I am wondering how many of you have done this sailing and what are your thoughts on only being at sea for two full Sea days. If you have done it would you do it again or would you hesitate?

HI:

We did this sailing 2017 for 5 days. It was nice to be on an ocean liner. Liked the ports and did see the fireworks from the deck of the Queen. One more port this time-Newport-which I have wanted to see. We also have done this Canada New England cruise on NCL last fall. We really like doing something other than the Caribbean and this cruise fits in with our schedules and interests. And the lectures are very interesting. 

43 minutes ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think it is a done deal and I will be booking. Can some one tell me how many formal nights? I am thinking it will be two.

That was the major thing I noticed on this trip vs the many transatlantic trips we've done on both QE2 and QM2-- there is a much more festive party vibe on this particular itinerary and the formality of formal nights is mostly limited to suits and sport coats. I hardly saw a tux which is a rarity on a Cunard ship. 

1 hour ago, Jeffrey1950 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies. I think it is a done deal and I will be booking. Can some one tell me how many formal nights? I am thinking it will be two.

Yes. There are two formal/gala nights - Monday (Royal Cunard theme) and Wednesday (B&W Ball). Which is standard these days for Cunard cruises. (Generally, cruises have 2/week, crossings have 3)  And, in general, I expect dress to be less formal (fewer tuxes on gala, ties on smart) than usual for Cunard, but still moreso than most US lines. So, while there may be a few infractions (more in the theatre and lounges - especially later at night) - most will still follow the code, but many with the more casual interpretation of it.

I'm expecting a festive atmosphere aboard!

Edited by MarkBearSF

...and for what it's worth, we're still packing formal wear for two nights each (We'll each have our tuxes, but accessories between us for 4 nights (2x2) will probably be about 3 sets mix-and-match). There will always be plenty of cruisers wearing full formal wear on gala evenings. Although not necessarily bound by the themes.

44 minutes ago, harpy3 said:

On this cruise and actually the 2nd formal night is Roaring Twenties.  

You're right! Thanks for the correction. I just checked the VP and they must have changed it since I first made my TripIt itinerary from the info. (Changing my notes now)

Cunard's current Mothers Day Sale (US)  has some great rates on this June 30, 2019 7 night Independence Day sailing w/OBC .

Check it out asap  . New Bookings Only of course .

Contact your US TA  . May sweeten the deal even more ?

I have been on this cruise about 6 times thanks to MCC Retired.

Yes, they are having a difficult time selling most cabins for this cruise. Mostly insides.

Right now a inside is going for around 725 with a travel agent. I predict maybe going down to 599 or so.

Fun cruise with lots and lots going on. 

If you need advice on excursions let me know. Peggy Cove is the real deal and should not be missed. 

Thanks MCC Retired for all your help!

The Roll Call has been resurrected. Check it out!
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2535070-m919-qm2-independence-day-jaunt-30-june-7-july-2019/

As for excursions,
Because my husband has difficulty walking distances and hasn't been to Boston before, we decided on the Old Town Trolley tour for the basics and will have a late lunch at an old-school Italian red sauce restaurant in the North End on Paul Revere Square.
We were first thinking of the Hop-On-Hop-Off busses but realized on the fourth, they'd probably be too full and would strand people once they hopped off, and the T (subway & express bus) system is excellent and convenient, but would be too difficult for Steve.

We're still looking at options on Halifax (we visited before - just before our cruise line went bankrupt and returned to dump us there in 2000, but that's another story).

Edited by MarkBearSF

16 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The infamous SS Rembrandt/Rotterdam episode?

Exactly!  When we reboarded the Rembrandt that afternoon, I mentioned "Halifax was a great little port. I'd like to return sometime." Little did I realize that it would happen sooner than I thought. At 9:30 PM, we headed back to port. Although most passengers from the Rembrandt and another smaller ship were put on the Big Red Boat II to be returned to NY, we had 3 days in Montreal planned. We talked our way off the ship and caught a cab to the airport where we caught the last flight of the day to Montreal. The hotel was able to put us up early, so instead of 3 days, we had a week in Montreal.

Edited by MarkBearSF

10 minutes ago, MarkBearSF said:

Rembrandt and another smaller ship were put on the Big Red Boat II to be returned to NY

Understand why you did what you did but to get to sail SS Rotterdam AND Eugenio C all in 24 hours sounds amazing right now in the context of those types of ships being long gone!

Definitely treasured our 3.5 days on the Rotterdam/Rembrandt. But by all reports, the BRB II had a very unhappy life, having caught fire a couple of times. We were briefly aboard that afternoon (before talking our way off) and were not impressed.

When we woke up the next morning, the incident was all over the news on CBC and CNN. "Cruise Line Bankrupt!" "Thousands of Vacations Ruined" ....and we were enjoying a leisurely breakfast of fresh croissants in Montreal. It could've been much worse.

We're looking forward to returning to Halifax, nonetheless.

Edited by MarkBearSF
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Mark:

I'm hijacking this thread since I can't send a private message. Knowing your Broadway interests, did you see that the New York Times is doing a Broadway-themed QM2 crossing? You can sign up with them and have access to their private talks onboard. But the speakers they'll have aboard will also do sessions for the non-NYT passengers. (We enjoyed one of the NY Times Crossword Puzzle-themed crossings, even though weren't part of the Times contingent). Some of the speakers include Seth Rudetsky and Faith Prince (of whom we're huge fans). The trip is 23 October 2020.

Hope you're both well.

Phil

• Like 1