Before and after cruise itinerary in Italy

uttu

1 hour ago, mdsgu said:

We were, shall we say, less than impressed with Stonehenge.  We can say we've seen it, but that's about it.

How did the trip go otherwise? As I said, I'm curious whether you did it all, and whether you'd do the same over again or offer different advice to others?

• 1 month later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:57 AM, cruisemom42 said:

How did the trip go otherwise? As I said, I'm curious whether you did it all, and whether you'd do the same over again or offer different advice to others?

The trip went off without a hitch, surprisingly!  We would do it again in a heartbeat.  In fact, we've booked another European cruise (15 days, Rome to Amsterdam) for May 2020.  I think all the planning and pre-purchasing of excursions made all the difference.  We knew what we were doing each day, and our tour operators -- every one of them -- showed up exactly on time, provided exactly what they said they would, and had us back to the ship with time to spare.  Since they were private tours, we could see what we wanted, linger a bit if we wanted, or move on to the next sight sooner if we wanted.  

Overall, an epic trip without any complaining from anyone.  Excited about the next one!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mdsgu said:

The trip went off without a hitch, surprisingly!  We would do it again in a heartbeat.  In fact, we've booked another European cruise (15 days, Rome to Amsterdam) for May 2020.  I think all the planning and pre-purchasing of excursions made all the difference.  We knew what we were doing each day, and our tour operators -- every one of them -- showed up exactly on time, provided exactly what they said they would, and had us back to the ship with time to spare.  Since they were private tours, we could see what we wanted, linger a bit if we wanted, or move on to the next sight sooner if we wanted.  

Overall, an epic trip without any complaining from anyone.  Excited about the next one!

We are just starting to explore options for Europe in Summer 2021.  Since you have been through the planning, how did you research tour operators?  Was there a specific site you used or recommend?  I don’t even know where to begin (besides asking here 😁).  We are probably doing a 7-day cruise with focus on the Greek isles, then a few days in Italy, followed by another 7-day Western Med cruise.

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:49 PM, APDMOM said:

We are just starting to explore options for Europe in Summer 2021.  Since you have been through the planning, how did you research tour operators?  Was there a specific site you used or recommend?  I don’t even know where to begin (besides asking here 😁).  We are probably doing a 7-day cruise with focus on the Greek isles, then a few days in Italy, followed by another 7-day Western Med cruise.

Well, in this case, Google is your friend.  When you find something that looks interesting, check out their website and then look them up on TripAdvisor.  Viator and toursbylocals are good places to check as well.  In Italy, you can book a tour in almost any city with bestromedriver; they are phenomenal!  Most all of them worth their salt will customize a tour for you, and the majority offer group tours for slightly less money (but more people and less customization).

Travel around Europe is surprisingly easy.  Plan your route and then book train tickets.  I would NOT recommend renting a car.  Yes, continental Europe drives on the right just like us, but the streets are smaller, the signs and road markings are different, and, even with a nav system, you don't really know where you are going!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Well, in this case, Google is your friend.  When you find something that looks interesting, check out their website and then look them up on TripAdvisor.  Viator and toursbylocals are good places to check as well.  In Italy, you can book a tour in almost any city with bestromedriver; they are phenomenal!  Most all of them worth their salt will customize a tour for you, and the majority offer group tours for slightly less money (but more people and less customization).

Travel around Europe is surprisingly easy.  Plan your route and then book train tickets.  I would NOT recommend renting a car.  Yes, continental Europe drives on the right just like us, but the streets are smaller, the signs and road markings are different, and, even with a nav system, you don't really know where you are going!

Thank you, @mdsgu!  Will definitely look at those ideas.  I especially like the idea of a private tour.  

On 11/27/2019 at 3:49 PM, APDMOM said:

I did a W Med cruise in Sept.  My 2 best resources were Rick Steves book " Mediterranean Cruise Ports", and trip reports.  I was on NCL but read trip reports from major cruiselines that visited the same ports.  Those trip reviews provided first-hand information on sights. activities, travel times, and names of vendors.  

We went DIY at most locations, using the train.  Except Naples where we hired a private driver to take us along the Amalfi Coast.  If you use Viator, keep in mind that they are a booking company so they just farm out the tour to a local vendor.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mapleleaves said:

I did a W Med cruise in Sept.  My 2 best resources were Rick Steves book " Mediterranean Cruise Ports", and trip reports.  I was on NCL but read trip reports from major cruiselines that visited the same ports.  Those trip reviews provided first-hand information on sights. activities, travel times, and names of vendors.  

We went DIY at most locations, using the train.  Except Naples where we hired a private driver to take us along the Amalfi Coast.  If you use Viator, keep in mind that they are a booking company so they just farm out the tour to a local vendor.  

Thank you @mapleleaves!  I have been watching Rick Steves YouTube videos all week while walking on the treadmill 😀 I will definitely see if I can get his book at our library.