Outlets in room onboard Koningsdam

DC1979

Hello all, I had a question for those of you that have sailed on the Koningsdam - are there outlets located near the bed? I am debating if I should bring an extension cord or a power bar.  There are three of us in the cabin so we will need access to some electricity!!!  We will be staying in a Neptune Suite if that affects the outlet situation.  Thanks!!

(I tried to do a quick search but I am at work, so I wasn’t able to find anything in my admittedly semi-distracted search.  I apologize if this info is posted somewhere).  

In a regular balcony cabin there is an outlet and a USB outlet on either side of the bed,  plus the same at the desk.  I don't know what the Neptune Suites have, but I would think it would be similar.  

3 hours ago, DC1979 said:

Hello all, I had a question for those of you that have sailed on the Koningsdam - are there outlets located near the bed? I am debating if I should bring an extension cord or a power bar.  There are three of us in the cabin so we will need access to some electricity!!!  We will be staying in a Neptune Suite if that affects the outlet situation.  Thanks!!

(I tried to do a quick search but I am at work, so I wasn’t able to find anything in my admittedly semi-distracted search.  I apologize if this info is posted somewhere).  

It never hurts to bring a several multiple-outlet European adapters since most modern phones/tablets/laptops will run on 110-220 VAC.  Multiple-outlet US adapters are good too but extension cords could be risky after recent crackdowns.  There are several electrical 110 and 220 outlets around the desk.

Here are photos of both sides of the bedside outlets on the Konigsdam:

image.png.64072ccdfce969a867038d1690d9272f.png

image.png.8db16baceb89c379d0ae7d45c39a610d.png

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

Does anyone know if there’s any point bringing a hairdryer and GHDs on board Koningsdam?  They work on  GB 220 volts and I wonder if the supply is less as it is in the US where my appliances are rendered useless?

3 minutes ago, J4NEC said:

Does anyone know if there’s any point bringing a hairdryer and GHDs on board Koningsdam?  They work on  GB 220 volts and I wonder if the supply is less as it is in the US where my appliances are rendered useless?

There are 220V European 2-round pin outlets in your stateroom.  A hair dryer can be found in the drawer of your stateroom desk.  Most newer phones/tablets/laptops work on 110-220V so a multiple-port adapter port would be perfect.,

Anything that looks like a typical extension cord may be confiscated but small adapters are fine. 

Enjoy your cruise planning.

11 hours ago, J4NEC said:

There is a hairdryer in the drawer (I am reliably informed it is reasonably good at doing what it should!).

If you bring your GHD you will need a Euro or US plug adapter as there are no UK 13a plug points onboard.

1 hour ago, VMax1700 said:

There is a hairdryer in the drawer (I am reliably informed it is reasonably good at doing what it should!).

If you bring your GHD you will need a Euro or US plug adapter as there are no UK 13a plug points onboard.

Hi,  thanks for the info.  I’ve never yet come across a good hotel hairdryer, and always bring my own as I have ‘problem’ hair! I know I’ll need a plug adaptor but just wondered if the hairdryer will get full voltage. In the US last year with an adaptor itworked at about 1/4 of its power.🤨

Please do NOT bring an extension cord! If you need a cord, request one from Guest Relations when you board.

We just completed 22 nights on the K'dam. It was a fabulous cruise on a fabulous ship. However, after the second leg started, our 110v & USB outlets had no power the next morning. We contacted Guest Relations and power was restored later that day. This happened five days in a row. GR worked with housekeeping and found an 'illegal' extension cord in an adjacent cabin. Using it triggered some sort of switch that affected the outlets in our cabin (balcony) and possibly others.

For five days, we had to go to the hallway outside of Club Orange (on 2 Aft) from our cabin (on 11 Forward) to charge our phones (to use Navigator). For five days, we never knew if we would have power to charge our electric toothbrush and WaterPik. For five days, we had to call or go to Guest Relations to ask for assistance.

Not having access to these outlets was not the End of Civilization As We Know It, but what about people who have CPAP machines? Or other necessary equipment?

Oh, and just to add to the overall warm thoughts about these people, they left dirty dishes out in the hallway rather than calling Room Service to have them removed from their cabin. No clue that this is a hazard.

The HAL hairdryer is 220v. While not overly powerful it did eventually dry my hair. I used by 110v flat iron without any problem (when we had power).

Edited by Ichiban Nekko
Additional thoughts

1 hour ago, Ichiban Nekko said:

Please do NOT bring an extension cord! If you need a cord, request one from Guest Relations when you board.

I think standard extension cords are OK, but power strips with surge protectors are not. 

I always have a short, "heavy duty" extension cord (10 foot or so, orange single outlet) in my CPAP case and have never had an issue bringing it onboard. I also have not needed to use it during the last several cruises due to the plethora of well-placed outlets. 

I have needed it many times in our pre/post-cruise hotel rooms....

2 hours ago, J4NEC said:

Hi,  thanks for the info.  I’ve never yet come across a good hotel hairdryer, and always bring my own as I have ‘problem’ hair! I know I’ll need a plug adaptor but just wondered if the hairdryer will get full voltage. In the US last year with an adaptor itworked at about 1/4 of its power.🤨

If you use the Euro socket then it gives 220v, the European standard voltage.

Edited by VMax1700

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That’s great, I didn’t know how it worked . Thanks for the info. 

• 2 years later...
On 5/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, Crew News said:

There are 220V European 2-round pin outlets in your stateroom.  A hair dryer can be found in the drawer of your stateroom desk.  Most newer phones/tablets/laptops work on 110-220V so a multiple-port adapter port would be perfect.,

Anything that looks like a typical extension cord may be confiscated but small adapters are fine. 

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Is there also a mirror at the desk where the hair dryer is located? Or can you remove the hair dryer from the drawer and plug it into the bathroom where there is a lighted mirror?

Thanks,

On 5/3/2019 at 8:41 AM, Ichiban Nekko said:

Oh, and just to add to the overall warm thoughts about these people, they left dirty dishes out in the hallway rather than calling Room Service to have them removed from their cabin. No clue that this is a hazard.

No need to call to have it removed; use the Navigator app! Under "Experience" select "At yoru service". 

We asked for something to be removed and within minutes our cabin steward was there!

19 minutes ago, macpiper said:

Is there also a mirror at the desk where the hair dryer is located? Or can you remove the hair dryer from the drawer and plug it into the bathroom where there is a lighted mirror?

Thanks,

Yes, there is a mirror at the desk.

There are outlets in the bathroom, usually for shavers but I assume hairdryers could be used too.

28 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

There are outlets in the bathroom, usually for shavers but I assume hairdryers could be used too.

No, the outlet in the bathroom is strictly for a shaver. NO hairdryers. I also believe that passenger  hairdryers are not allowed onboard.

The reason that powerstrips with GFCI are not allowed is that the ship's outlets are already GFCI protected. It may cause problems with one or the other tripping.

37 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

No, the outlet in the bathroom is strictly for a shaver. NO hairdryers. I also believe that passenger  hairdryers are not allowed onboard.

The reason that powerstrips with GFCI are not allowed is that the ship's outlets are already GFCI protected. It may cause problems with one or the other tripping.

Passenger hairdryers are allowed. I bring mine all the time. I have curly hair and need a diffuser. The diffuser only fits on certain hairdryers so I always bring mine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boytjie said:

The desk appears to be located in front of a window. Is the mirror also in a drawer?

We have had many experiences that a hair dryer in a drawer is hard wired inside the drawer and cannot be relocated elsewhere. Is this the case or not the case in a Neptune Suite?

Thanks,

1 hour ago, sandiego1 said:

Passenger hairdryers are allowed. I bring mine all the time. I have curly hair and need a diffuser. The diffuser only fits on certain hairdryers so I always bring mine.

I'll preface this with I am a man.  🙂 But I have heard of certain hairdryers being confiscated by Security while scanning luggage. Not sure if they were the type with the GFCI plug.

1 hour ago, macpiper said:

The desk appears to be located in front of a window. Is the mirror also in a drawer?

We have had many experiences that a hair dryer in a drawer is hard wired inside the drawer and cannot be relocated elsewhere. Is this the case or not the case in a Neptune Suite?

Thanks,

We have never had a cabin with a desk facing a window but I guess it is possible. The desk was always in front of a large mirror. 

i just remembered that on last week’s cruise I found a smaller (12”?) mirror in the cabinet where the dryer was. 

56 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I'll preface this with I am a man.  🙂 But I have heard of certain hairdryers being confiscated by Security while scanning luggage. Not sure if they were the type with the GFCI plug.

Yeah, my husband doesn't care what kind of hairdryer he uses. I guess women are more picky 🙂 

I've never seen anyone have their hairdryer confiscated. I did see a flat iron taken once. Those thinks get hot!  My hairdryer has the GFCI plug. I don't know if they even make ones without it anymore.