Skagway with a 10 yr old?

phabric

I will be on a Princess Cruise with a 10 yr old with a stop in Skagway.   I have taken the train and train/bus before and I do not think the 10 yr old would be interested in one of these tours.

Would a 10 yr old be interested in Liarsville tour that includes a show and salmon bake?

Any suggestions on tours with Princess or private?

Go online to nps.gov and check out the Klondike gold rush programs that the national park service offers for kids in Skagway.  The program is in the old Pantheon saloon.  You will also find a list of hikes in Skagway.  This is a great junior ranger program for kids.

Edited by oaktreerb

we will be in skagway with a 10 year old in July and we booked the grizzly bear ziplining which looks great for all ages, gets great reviews, but doesn't involve strenuous walking uphill as much as other zipline options i looked at.  We've also booked the helicopter tour to glacier and dog sled camp, but as it's so weather dependant, we'll try not to be disappointed if it doesn't go ahead.  

Re the salmon bake, we've booked the gold panning and salmon bake from juneau but our 10 year old is not at all keen on salmon.... but i've heard there's plenty of other things there... maybe i can entice her to try some reindeer sausage if that's an option...

I agree with your assessment about the train ride.  My kids were not thrilled...

My kids enjoyed the Junior ranger program.  We also did a number of the hikes in Skagway.  Was a great way to get some exercise in and get away from crowds.  We picked up sandwiches and picnicked.

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 1

We will be in Skagway in July with our 11 year old daughter. We plan on visiting the Gold Rush National Park site in town where she can earn her Jr. Ranger badge. We also plan to rent a car and drive the Klondike Highway out to Carcross stopping at Tutshi Sled Dog Camp. 

While my husband and I have previously done the train/bus tour, I know she would not enjoy that nearly as much as us going on our own. This way we can pace our day and make adjustments as needed.

Another thing, on our previous tour, the guide had recited a Robert Service poem, and I have downloaded several to bring and read to my family because I do like that sort of thing.

What about taking the ferry to Haines and visiting the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge?  It gets amazing reviews!  That’s what we’re doing this June as we’ve been  to Skagway a few times before and have done the WPR.  

Not sure if I would recommend this based on what happened last year (or was it the year before) but I think a 10 year old would like Glacier Point Wilderness Safari.

It would definitely be safer today than previously.

Here is a live interview I did with an expert and we discuss the drive into the Yukon territory and there are several things to do there.  We are taking my granddaughter and after she looked at what the possibilities are she was excited.