For All Experienced Cruisers

citronella

We have booked fairly early and got the stateroom we wanted.  We also make the final payment a week or two before the it is due.  In between, I monitor the prices.  Was pleasantly surprised on our last cruise when I noticed a nice price drop.  Rather than take the price drop, we re-booked (keeping our perks!) and upgraded from an ocean view to an unobstructed verandah at no additional charge. 

Of recent Cekebrity has had dramatic price reductions after final payment. One cruise we were on last month was reducted to 1/2 the price after final payment. No suites available to upgrade to so we ended up paying 2X what we would have if booked after final payment.

47 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Of recent Cekebrity has had dramatic price reductions after final payment. One cruise we were on last month was reducted to 1/2 the price after final payment. No suites available to upgrade to so we ended up paying 2X what we would have if booked after final payment.

So.....you would have been better off taking a chance and booking after final payment ? Not sure I’m understanding your post ?

50 minutes ago, citronella said:

So.....you would have been better off taking a chance and booking after final payment ? Not sure I’m understanding your post ?

Currently the best way to obtain the lowest price is to wait till after final payment.

Ok...that seems to differ from what a lot of other people say here. I’m fairly new at this so bear with me.

Some people seem to book extremely early and watch for price drops. It makes sense what you are saying though. Except that you are taking a chance that prices will drop and then you might not get a cabin you want .

1 hour ago, citronella said:

Ok...that seems to differ from what a lot of other people say here. I’m fairly new at this so bear with me.

Some people seem to book extremely early and watch for price drops. It makes sense what you are saying though. Except that you are taking a chance that prices will drop and then you might not get a cabin you want .

It just depends on the circumstances in each situation.

In some cases it is better to book early.  For example, if it is a special one-of-a-kind cruise, or if you have time or travel restrictions, or if you need to coordinate your travel plans with others, or if you are very picky about your cabin and restricted in your cabin choices.

In other cases it is better to wait, book after final payment, and pick up those great last minute closeout deals. 

For example, when there are lots of similar cruises available (such as Caribbean or Alaska cruises) so you are not limited to any specific one;  if you can be flexible about dates and cabins, and if getting to the port on short notice is not a problem for you.

Edited by varoo

On 5/5/2019 at 11:54 AM, tallnthensome said:

Book as early as you can, even years in advance. The Silhouette cruise we have booked for April 2020 is now $2000 more than when we booked it. I haven't see any cruise I have taken in years come down in cost and I always book 2 years in advance. 

Hey TallNThenSome, if you don't mind sharing... what category cabin did you book on the April, 2020 Silhouette?  And did you get any perks last year when you booked?

We just booked this cruise for March 15th but it is one of the most expensive Caribbean itineraries we've seen lately. We're wondering why? Even an inside is pricing at over $4,000 with drinks and gratuities included. We've booked refundable so we can watch for a price drop, but these dates work for coordinating with another couple so here we are overpaying right now.

We're also slightly concerned about the dry-dock "Revolution".   After we booked we heard they cancelled a cruise in January 2020 and a cruise in February 2020 and re-booked those passengers (some on to our cruise).  What if dry-dock runs late again and we're cancelled?!  Fingers crossed. It's a great itinerary. Thanks in advance for the info! 

5 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Hey TallNThenSome, if you don't mind sharing... what category cabin did you book on the April, 2020 Silhouette?  And did you get any perks last year when you booked?

We just booked this cruise for March 15th but it is one of the most expensive Caribbean itineraries we've seen lately. We're wondering why? Even an inside is pricing at over $4,000 with drinks and gratuities included. We've booked refundable so we can watch for a price drop, but these dates work for coordinating with another couple so here we are overpaying right now.

We're also slightly concerned about the dry-dock "Revolution".   After we booked we heard they cancelled a cruise in January 2020 and a cruise in February 2020 and re-booked those passengers (some on to our cruise).  What if dry-dock runs late again and we're cancelled?!  Fingers crossed. It's a great itinerary. Thanks in advance for the info! 

We are booked for April 5th 2020. We are a family of four and booked this cruise for 2020 back in June of 2018. I first booked a balcony on deck 9. It was a 1A angled balcony for four with one drink perk, $100 OBC and refundable deposit. I booked at $6035 and that cabin today is $8100+. I cancelled that cabin when a huge family 3 room Family Veranda somehow became available a month later. I paid $6816 for that huge cabin FV for four,  2 grats perk,  and drink perk, kept $100 OBC and fully refundable. I have no idea what that price for that cabin would be today as there are no more available and only 4 of then. I can tell you that the basic balcony next to 7107 is now $750 more than I paid for a cabin almost three times it's size. I have never in all my years of cruising seen a specific cruise like this one go up in price as drastically and as quickly as this Silhouette sailing. If I wanted to book this cruise today I could not as it would be out of reach financially as I have two kids and the price would not be appealing at all and I'd feel raped ...... Basically every balcony cabin has gone up $2000 since booking and their new sail your way program. I don't know if the demand is just that high because the Silly is a favorite and it's post revolution or if they are trying to pay for their new EDGE  ...... It's mind boggling watching the price climb every week. 

Edited by tallnthensome

15 hours ago, citronella said:

This is where it gets tough because everyone's situation is different. What cruise they go on, when they go and so on, makes a big difference. Plus a slew of other variables.

My suggestion, give as many details of where, when and what room you are looking at.

We cruise the Caribbean in January to get away from our Minnesota winter and we book early. In all my January vacations, including land trips, I have never seen prices go down. We are not the only ones trying to get away from the cold.
Since this past January when I booked our trip for next January, my balcony room alone is up 50%. Now add in my four perks and you can see the advantage.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

This is where it gets tough because everyone's situation is different. What cruise they go on, when they go and so on, makes a big difference. Plus a slew of other variables.

My suggestion, give as many details of where, when and what room you are looking at.

We cruise the Caribbean in January to get away from our Minnesota winter and we book early. In all my January vacations, including land trips, I have never seen prices go down. We are not the only ones trying to get away from the cold.
Since this past January when I booked our trip for next January, my balcony room alone is up 50%. Now add in my four perks and you can see the advantage.

It is the 15 June 2020 Med on the Edge. The itinerary is great for us as there would be no repeat of any ports (except Naples). 

We put a deposit down on a Sunset Balcony as we don’t like the IV - looks to me like an OV with a window that opens LOL. Current price for 2  is $12,500 Cdn which I find high. I’m thinking that price wouldn’t drop till after final payment ? However, if we go that route, we might lose the SV and would like to have airfare booked before mid March.

3 hours ago, citronella said:

It is the 15 June 2020 Med on the Edge. The itinerary is great for us as there would be no repeat of any ports (except Naples). 

We put a deposit down on a Sunset Balcony as we don’t like the IV - looks to me like an OV with a window that opens LOL. Current price for 2  is $12,500 Cdn which I find high. I’m thinking that price wouldn’t drop till after final payment ? However, if we go that route, we might lose the SV and would like to have airfare booked before mid March.

I guess great minds think alike! Though, we are facing a similar dilemma.

We too have an SV booked for this same June 15th Med cruise.  Chose it for the itinerary and NOT the ship. Agree that the pricing is way too high and the vacation becomes even more expensive once you factor in airfare, pre-cruise hotel,  transfers and excursions. I am hopeful that there will be some significant price movement or promotional activity prior to final payment to make this all viable. Though given the itinerary it may not happen to the extent we may like it too.

Since there are only 36 -SV's on the Edge it is risky to try to pick it up cheaper past final payment. In such case we/you would have to be willing to accept a IV  as a default.

We would have preferred that this itinerary was available on an S class (or even M class) ship instead as it would have given us more flexibility towards ending up in a true balcony cabin.

We will play the waiting game for now as we do not have until next March to decide.  In the meantime we will also be considering vacation alternatives. 

Fyi, we booked mid January with X and are paying a little less with 2 perks.  Maybe you could at least reprice your booking depending on where pricing is at today.

9 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

I have never in all my years of cruising seen a specific cruise like this one go up in price as drastically and as quickly as this Silhouette sailing

I know! 

And thanks for that great info. Maybe people are holding spots with refundable deposits?  Or Travel Agents are getting comped post-revolution so they know the product?  I hope, for both our sakes, that it's worth it!  Lol! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Fyi, we booked mid January with X and are paying a little less with 2 perks.  Maybe you could at least reprice your booking depending on where pricing is at today.

Only booked last week and my pricing is with 4 perks. Will look at 2 perks.

We shall wait till final payment and see what happens. Like you, I would prefer it not to be the Edge. And again, like you, we booked it for the itinerary and not for the ship. Too bad it is the Edge because I would take a chance with booking after final payment ( depending what happens ) and take a balcony - but would never take an IV.

We have an upcoming Baltic cruise on Silhouette in June - called and booked late December as the price seemed good - 1A Verandah with 3 perks. We must have lucked out as current price is a fair bit higher for same category. I am still trying to get my head around cruise pricing.

5 minutes ago, citronella said:

Only booked last week and my pricing is with 4 perks. Will look at 2 perks.

Currently there is a "Book Now" promo that may give you and extra $200 OBC.

5 minutes ago, citronella said:

We have an upcoming Baltic cruise on Silhouette in June - called and booked late December as the price seemed good - 1A Verandah with 3 perks. We must have lucked out as current price is a fair bit higher for same category. I am still trying to get my head around cruise pricing.

We are booked on the Summit for late June. We felt pricing was quite high for a veranda and wound up booking an OV instead (though we have always sailed with a balcony). We repriced a bit before final payment but the gap to a veranda was still too high.  Now past final payment, and only recently, has pricing significantly dropped.  Though we cannot drop below our final payment price, we have managed to add perks and OBC. We continue to monitor and hopefully, with the gap closing, we will be able to upgrade to a balcony. Otherwise, we may bid on a Move Up.

I am also trying to wrap my head around X's cruise pricing (game). This week alone it changed 3 times for this cruise. 

As others have mentioned, it would probably depend a lot on the ship, desire for a particular cabin type & location and itinerary (uniqueness and frequency of sailings) as to when you book. Certain strategies may not work in all cases.

1 hour ago, bkbarrym said:

Though we cannot drop below our final payment price, we have managed to add perks and OBC.

May I ask how you do this?  Did you book direct? Or with an agent? How do they add perks for the same fee after final payment?  If it's an Agent, can you please PM me the name?  Thanks!  and... Happy Sailing!  

Edited by SunNFunCruzer

2 hours ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

May I ask how you do this?  Did you book direct? Or with an agent? How do they add perks for the same fee after final payment?  If it's an Agent, can you please PM me the name?  Thanks!  and... Happy Sailing!  

Originally booked on-line direct with Celebrity and follow up has been with our assigned Vacation Planner.

At final payment date we had OV with no perks and $200 OBC ("Book Now" Bonus) - $2389 PP CDN

This week pricing for same OV cabin dropped and we added 2 Perks and new "Book Now Bonus" - $2489 PP CDN.

The price for the OV without perks was lower than $2389 so couldn't do that as Celebrity won't refund difference after final payment. Instead went to the 2 perks at $100 more PP which was doable.  Since they were running the $200 Book Now bonus again this week we were able to keep it. So it cost us another $200 CDN out of pocket but we are better off after factoring in the 2 perks. 

Now, we will monitor and hopefully the gap will close on a veranda. Ideally, it will fall to the current price of the OV and we can upgrade at no additional cost.  If this doesn't happen then we may try the Move Up.

Edited by bkbarrym

6 minutes ago, bkbarrym said:

Originally booked on-line direct with Celebrity and follow up has been with our assigned Vacation Planner.

At final payment date we had OV with no perks and $200 OBC ("Book Now" Bonus) - $2389 PP CDN

This week pricing for same OV cabin dropped and we added 2 Perks and new "Book Now Bonus" - $2489 PP CDN.

Thanks. We booked direct with HAL for our cruise this March and they gave us a really hard time when the prices dropped after Final. In the end, because of some shenanigans, they credited us 50% of the price drop in OBC. Maybe Celebrity is customer-friendlier?  We are certainly paying more for our March 2020 cruise on the Silhouette and can't imagine prices going higher.  

1 hour ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

Thanks. We booked direct with HAL for our cruise this March and they gave us a really hard time when the prices dropped after Final. In the end, because of some shenanigans, they credited us 50% of the price drop in OBC. Maybe Celebrity is customer-friendlier?  We are certainly paying more for our March 2020 cruise on the Silhouette and can't imagine prices going higher.  

I didn’t think you had much choice of anything after final payment ??