Harvest Caye food/drink purchases

Currently only cash or credit card. The pool cabana server we had in March told us they were working toward being able to use ship accounts, but there was no timeline and it was not a sure thing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Yet another revenue maximizing strategy...

Unlike other private islands run by cruise lines, Norwegian doesn’t supply food or drinks on Harvest Caye.  It is all supplied by vendors from Belize and that is why we have to use cash or credit card.  

Edited by NLH Arizona

33 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Unlike other private islands run by cruise lines, Norwegian doesn’t supply food or drinks on Harvest Caye.  It is all supplied by vendors from Belize and that is why we have to use cash or credit card.  

I think it’s either a perception or settlement issue.  When HC launched, guests could use their shipboard cards to make purchases, but this only lasted for a few months.  I suspect either the vendors were unhappy with the settlement process, or NCL thought the cards made it too difficult to explain that things weren’t included.

Edit: I also recall a discussion about using OBC on HC, but don’t recall the specifics.  I think NCL was trying to restrict it.  

Edited by TheDougOut

3 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Yet another revenue maximizing strategy...

Actually it probably decreases revenue, people seem to think less about using their room key as opposed to using their credit card.

2 hours ago, phillyguy31 said:

Actually it probably decreases revenue, people seem to think less about using their room key as opposed to using their credit card.

If I have to pay for food and drink that NCL would normally be providing onboard, that’s a savings to them. Lower costs increase revenue. So why would they sink so much into developing an island if there was no payback??

• 2 weeks later...

It really is a lovely resort island. Lots to see and do.  The fact that NCL is in a contract with the Belize Govt is actually good for the locals.  Supporting the locals hopefully means the island will maintain it's livelyhood as well as those vendors from Belize who benefit from the pax of the NCL ships. 

Not for nothing, but after spending thousands of dollars on a vacation that is inclusive (with the free at sea), then having to spend an additional $100 for lunch on their private island (according to the previous post, thank you btw), I feel like it is a slap in the face.  I understand that the people of Belize benefit from this, but its at our (additional) cost.  I sailed on RC last year, and their private island (Coco Caye) was totally inclusive of everything, including liquor with the package.  

Maybe NCL should have re-thought Belize and use another country as their private island so that their patrons don't feel like this.  I will be going back to the ship for lunch after using the beach for a few hours in the am....not being cheap, but its the point of having to spend MORE money than I already have.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Not for nothing, but after spending thousands of dollars on a vacation that is inclusive (with the free at sea), then having to spend an additional $100 for lunch on their private island (according to the previous post, thank you btw), I feel like it is a slap in the face.  I understand that the people of Belize benefit from this, but its at our (additional) cost.  I sailed on RC last year, and their private island (Coco Caye) was totally inclusive of everything, including liquor with the package.  

Maybe NCL should have re-thought Belize and use another country as their private island so that their patrons don't feel like this.  I will be going back to the ship for lunch after using the beach for a few hours in the am....not being cheap, but its the point of having to spend MORE money than I already have.

Harvest Caye is not NCL's private island, only Great Stirrup Cay is.  Everything is included on GSC, but HC is basically just another port that NCL visits on their Western Carribean itineraries, while GSC is on a Bohemian island and usually included on Eastern Carribean/Cuba/Bahamas cruises.

43 minutes ago, Mike_DeA said:

Harvest Caye is not NCL's private island, only Great Stirrup Cay is.  Everything is included on GSC, but HC is basically just another port that NCL visits on their Western Carribean itineraries, while GSC is on a Bohemian island and usually included on Eastern Carribean/Cuba/Bahamas cruises.

Excuse the correction, but it's a "Bahamian" island.  🙂

The island is exclusive to all NCL lines, there has been talk to opening it up to other lines but I have never seen this verified. The reason you pay there it is a joint venture between NCL and Belize and everyone who works there are not NCL employees. That being said I understand that NCL put a bundle of money into the island making it what it is, a wonderful stop. Many people enjoy the island and then go back to the ship for lunch. HC is really great and we are looking forward to it next year on our cruise there.