New Cruisers on Round British Isles Cruise

Michael23

My mid-20's son and I are joining the Princess Crown in Southampton after a few nights in London. The cruise visits Cobh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Invergordon/Inverness, and Le Havre. This is a first cruise for either of us, and rather an unexpected, sudden opportunity (I only booked a week ago). I've taught English Lit for years, and have wanted to see the British Isles for decades. My son is interested in many of the same things, but I know he's more excited to explore the food and drink of new places--pubs and distilleries and foods done differently than at home. We both fully know we won't see it all. We're hoping that this sampling of the British Isles will show us what we'd like to come back to see in greater depth with the rest of the family.

As a result of this trip being unexpected, we're trying to keep things as affordable as possible. After a whopping one week of research, it seems to me that my son and I will have plenty to see and do (and eat!) in the larger cities with HOHO's, museums, brewery tours, walking the downtowns, etc. that won't cost very much (I'm hoping ~£60/port total). When it comes to the more rural places (like Invergordon/Inverness),  it seems that a tour is really the only way to go, which I know is going to be well above my ridiculously cheap budget. Do you think my basic approach is sound? Would you suggest any changes in my approach? Also, are there any recommendations on must-see's for my son and I?

Thanks for your help.

Try looking at the Tourist Board sites to see their suggestions- plenty to see and do in Dublin and Belfast, also Glasgow if you can work out transport from Greenock- there always used to be volunteers waiting there, with suggestions of tours.

It's some years since we did this cruise, and there were a few Brits like us, who enjoyed sampling the local brews in each place... that's easy to find! In fact, my main memory of Invergordon is sitting outside the pub near the harbour, enjoying a beer at a much reduced price to the one we were paying on board the ship!

" The cruise visits Cobh, Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow, Invergordon/Inverness, and Le Havre.

Three ports in Ireland, two in Scotland and one in France. But nothing in England. 😲

Ray--I know! I wish there were some additional English ports. We enter and leave the cruise in Southampton, so we'll spend a few days on either end in or near London. We want to see much more in England, but we'll have to come back for that. Too much world; not enough time!

Jocap--Thanks for the reminder about tourist boards. I'm so used to TripAdvisor (and now Cruise Critic), I'd overlooked the obvious. I have a feeling one or two of our best memories of the trip may be in a pub.

• Like 1

Have you tried the roll call for your cruise.They are normally a mine of info,with guys organising private tours.I found on my travels that the Americans were the best at this.One Californian lady had 10 busloads of us in Shanghai,lol.

When in Cóbh, the train station is opposite where the ship docks. You can either get the train to Cork City €7 return pp plenty of places to see and places to eat, I recommend the old English Market. The trains leave about every 40 min, journey takes between 20-30 min.

Or catch the same train for the same fair and change in Glaunthaun for the train to Midleton (slightly longer as you have to change trains).

Some lovely places to eat also the Middleton Jameson whiskey distillery, this is a great tour,

• Like 1

The roll call had some helpful general information about tour companies, but at least so far the private tours being arranged don't really match our interests. I'd try arranging one myself, but as a novice to cruising, I wonder if I wouldn't mess it up. Or is it easier than it looks?

Great tip about Jameson distillery. They run a bus from the port to Jameson's when our cruise ship is in port. Transportation and tour cost €25. 

2 hours ago, Michael23 said:

The roll call had some helpful general information about tour companies, but at least so far the private tours being arranged don't really match our interests. I'd try arranging one myself, but as a novice to cruising, I wonder if I wouldn't mess it up. Or is it easier than it looks?

Great tip about Jameson distillery. They run a bus from the port to Jameson's when our cruise ship is in port. Transportation and tour cost €25. 

No worries,just research a tour for yourselves.Cruiselines can get a bit shirty if you're seen collecting money from people for tours.

2 hours ago, Michael23 said: